newbie spark plug question

Hey all...

About 3 weeks ago, I changed my spark plugs to the long reach ones. I had a hell of a time getting the spark plug boots off. One the first one, the boot slid up the wire leaving the wire dangling. I basically just pushed it back in until it looked like the other one (#3 I think). I guess my question is how do I know all four of them are working properly (as opposed to , say, just 3 of them)

Anyway, my question is just for curiousity sake. WHy are two of them (#2 and 4 I think) different than the other two?

I was reading a post and he complained about his engine being sluggish before 2500rpm and then all of a sudden it picks up past 2500. Mine does the exact same thing and some people are saying that maybe the wires need replacing. Is that true? What is the recommended replacement interval for spark plug wires?

Other than taht, the mileage seems about the same with the new plugs, but I have seen an improvement in first gear...I actually can drive in first gear in a parking lot!! No bucking!

Just wondering if something might be funky with that first wire....

Why long reach. Are you not worried that they will contact the piston seeing how they are much longer than the stock ones that mazda intended.

If the electrode contacts the piston it will close the gap and your car will run like ass.

You will not notice a performance gain tied directly to the new plug any more than if you had just changed the plugs for new.

If the wire was not hooked up properly, the car would simply not run.

You can check to see that they're working right by pulling them out. If they look good, then they're working lol. Also, if you messed up one of the boots, I'd definatly get thos wires replaced.

Brian MP5T said:
Why long reach. Are you not worried that they will contact the piston seeing how they are much longer than the stock ones that mazda intended.

If the electrode contacts the piston it will close the gap and your car will run like ass.

You will not notice a performance gain tied directly to the new plug any more than if you had just changed the plugs for new.

If the wire was not hooked up properly, the car would simply not run.

I believe the long reach plugs he is refering to are the ones that come standard on JDM proteges. They have a mazda part number and are a direct replacement for the standard american plugs. I have them in my car and they really smoothed out the engine. My car is especially smoother in 1st gear. I recommend the plugs to anyone with a 2.0 FS-DE

aMaff said:
You can check to see that they're working right by pulling them out. If they look good, then they're working lol. Also, if you messed up one of the boots, I'd definatly get thos wires replaced.

I guess that is the question, I have no idea if it is messed up. i have no experience with spark plug wires, so I guess that is why I was asking....If I messed up that wire somehow, would there be a noticeable performance difference?

If you messed the wire up bad enough, the plug for that cylinder simply would not fire. One cylinder not firing on a four cylinder engine is VERY noticable. If the engine is running smoothly, the wire is working and the plug is firing. But, it sounds like you damaged the plug wire. Do what aMaff suggested and replace the plug wires. Then you can be sure that they are not going to be a problem.

Don't worry, you are fine. The same thing happened (boot slipped up the wire) on my last plug install. It's just a plastic guard to protect the wire/plug connection. Just push it back down to where it belongs. I've been running for thousands of miles with no problems.

If the female end of the wire is damaged and won't properly snap onto the plug, then you definitely need new wires.

fonzinator said:
Don't worry, you are fine. The same thing happened (boot slipped up the wire) on my last plug install. It's just a plastic guard to protect the wire/plug connection. Just push it back down to where it belongs. I've been running for thousands of miles with no problems.

If the female end of the wire is damaged and won't properly snap onto the plug, then you definitely need new wires.

Well, when I finally yanked the boot off the engine before changing the plugs, the wire was sticking waaaaaaaaay out of the boot (like it was stuck),so I just pushed the wire back into the sheath as far as it could go (to make it look like like the other one)....does that make sense?

newprot5fan said:
Well, when I finally yanked the boot off the engine before changing the plugs, the wire was sticking waaaaaaaaay out of the boot (like it was stuck),so I just pushed the wire back into the sheath as far as it could go (to make it look like like the other one)....does that make sense?
Exact same thing happened to me. No problems yet.

Back