Newbie, Maybe...?

Mr_Hann

Hey all

Just registered for this forum because of a strong interest in purchasing a used protege 5. No stickes for general P5 information? I guess I'll have to do the dirty work myself.

Btw, I come from the Mr2 forums, and just wanted to say hello :)

Mr_Hann said:
Hey all

Just registered for this forum because of a strong interest in purchasing a used protege 5. No stickes for general P5 information? I guess I'll have to do the dirty work myself.

Btw, I come from the Mr2 forums, and just wanted to say hello :)

No stickies, just a bazillion threads to wade through.
Welcome.

what kinda info are u lookin for? Chances are, some1 here's got it lol. And welcome!

Thanks guys!

I was just looking for techie info mostly (off the top of my head- intake options, spring and shock options, OEM wheel offset and the distance from the body to the wheel, OEM wheel centerbore/thread pitch (12x1.5 or 1.25), websites of small P5 parts sellers.... but right now I'm just browsing through the forums.

Is this the only P5 specific area on the forums? I see all these threads entitled "MSP"- just for the Mazdaspeed?

www.protegegarage.com is a good place. i havent checked but they were redoing the site the last time i tried to go. intake that i know of are injen and k&n and then theres the injen copies on ebay. springs espillers, teins, eibach, racingbeat, and probably more. shocks tockicos are the only ones i know of, coil overs skunk2 ground controls are both sleeves. i know theres alot more but thats all i can think of right now

o ya theres tein and D2 and some others i cant remember for coil over suspension

FYI: cant get on protegegarage either. Keeps on asking me for a bloody username and password WTF?

Oh yeah, welcome (cheers) dood

ya ken said that theres something wrong with the index page or something (im a webpage noob so dont ask me) so hes locked it until its fixed.

DE31 said:
ya ken said that theres something wrong with the index page or something (im a webpage noob so dont ask me) so hes locked it until its fixed.

bah humbug...thanks for the heads up

Any of the 3rd gen sections, including the MP3 and MSP sections, can provide valuable info. Many of the parts are interchangeable.

Mr_Hann said:
Thanks guys!

I was just looking for techie info mostly (off the top of my head- intake options, spring and shock options, OEM wheel offset and the distance from the body to the wheel, OEM wheel centerbore/thread pitch (12x1.5 or 1.25), websites of small P5 parts sellers.... but right now I'm just browsing through the forums.

Is this the only P5 specific area on the forums? I see all these threads entitled "MSP"- just for the Mazdaspeed?

Salutations!

When I bought mine back in july, I spent a lot of time on google and other sites like epinions trying to find out whatever I could about the car.

As far as parts for the car (I/H/E), they are rediculously expensive when you consider the marginal gains they produce. Seriously, this is just retarded. Paying well over $200 for 1...maybe 2 HP is we-todd-did. That's why I'll stick to handling and weight reduction (where I can). (thumb) Speaking of that, I want to cry b/c someone was selling a set of k1-ts wheels for only $650 and I don't have that money sitting around.

Sorry for the tangent. Oh yeah btw,
wMTEzMzcxNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
of your Mister 2

.paul said:
Salutations!

When I bought mine back in july, I spent a lot of time on google and other sites like epinions trying to find out whatever I could about the car.

As far as parts for the car (I/H/E), they are rediculously expensive when you consider the marginal gains they produce. Seriously, this is just retarded. Paying well over $200 for 1...maybe 2 HP is we-todd-did. That's why I'll stick to handling and weight reduction (where I can). (thumb) Speaking of that, I want to cry b/c someone was selling a set of k1-ts wheels for only $650 and I don't have that money sitting around.

Sorry for the tangent. Oh yeah btw,
wMTEzMzcxNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
of your Mister 2

Thanks bro. I've just been scouring this site and google as well, looking for anything I can on the car. And I feel your sentiment on the handling issue- I've test driven an MP3 wayyy back when it first came out and was VERY impressed with the handling dynamic, steering feel, and overall driving experience. Buying a car like this almost rules out speed. Bpu's aren't even worth the money on alot of N/A cars just because of the $ per hp ratio. I like spending less than 100 bucks and gaining 30 hp (turbo cars) much more.

Anyways, I like the P5 because it looks awesome, has above average handling/steering out of the box, I can carry my snowboards with room to spare for passengers(first), and I need rock solid reliabilty. Driving a 91 Mr2 turbo (http://public.fotki.com/trdmomo/pics/ its the beat up red one) does not necessarily mean rock solid reliability.

And the K1-TS is one sick wheel. The idea of having 2 valve stems to get super anal with tire pressures is really cool to me (hah) Not to mention IIRC, they weigh even less than the original K1's.

Welcome! You'll love it (I know I love mine)!

One huge plus with the P5 is the handling, like you said. It also doesn't cost that much to improve on it. If you want power to go with the handling, you're best to go with the complete meal deal and get a turbo kit from either MAM, Hi-Boost, etc; most bang for your buck.

Protege Garage is likely your best source for all things P5, and until the site is up, you can always shoot Ken (Captain KRM P5) a pm/email, or give him a call: He is THE MAN. Basically, if he can't answer your questions, or can't find a part you're looking for, it likely doesn't exist.

You can also try **********, Turfburn (owner of NSN), Horsepower Freaks, JohnDG (rep at dgm), all of whom are here on the board. I'm not at home right now, otherwise I'd post a list of other sites that you can check out. Search is your friend, but there are many on here who are always happy to answer questions for newcomers.

Mr_Hann said:
And the K1-TS is one sick wheel. The idea of having 2 valve stems to get super anal with tire pressures is really cool to me (hah) Not to mention IIRC, they weigh even less than the original K1's.
yeah, a whopping 14lbs for a 17" wheel. (humpleg) (humpleg) (humpleg) (humpleg)

MyZmZm said:
Protege Garage is likely your best source for all things P5, and until the site is up, you can always shoot Ken (Captain KRM P5) a pm/email, or give him a call: He is THE MAN. Basically, if he can't answer your questions, or can't find a part you're looking for, it likely doesn't exist.

Protege Garage is (or will be) in Canada?

Bob Loblaw said:
Protege Garage is (or will be) in Canada?
I wish. :) Would be very nice though.

I am sponsored by PG, if you were referring to my sig.

Sorry, got confused. :) Do you know of any OEM/aftermarket companies in Canada? I'm a n00b when it comes to the P5...

Back