Votes: 3 15.8%
  • OZ superleggera

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • BBS CV

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
ChopstickHero said:
image_support.gif

Rim Diameter: The diameter of the wheel's bead seat where the tyre sits, NOT the overall diameter of the wheel.

Rim Width:
The width of the wheel, measured from bead seat to bead seat

Off Set: The positive or negative distance from the wheel's centre line to the mounting surface of the wheel.

The 215/45/17 stock sized MSP tire can fit over a 17x7.5 rim fine. you get a slight stretch in the rubber, but it's fine.

Thanks for your graph.
The thing that i do not understand is that if our stock offset is 55, will the 42 offset work?

There will be a difference of -13 meaning that the enkei will stay closer to the car?

Is that correct? Will the tire be to inward? Will it look funny?

Thanks

Positive offset is how most factory wheels are designed. The wheel center is moves the wheel closer to the vehicle, therefore moving the tire closer to the vehicle, helping to tuck it under the fenderwell. This means the wheel rotates on its axis.

Negative offset is how most aftermarket wheels are designed. They move the center of the wheel away from the vehicle. Therefore, moving the tires away from the vehicle, and increasing the turning radius. Rather that spinning on its axis, it swings on its axis. There are several inherent flaws with this, while they may be unavoidable. Increasing the offset puts more leverage on the lugs, which means you can break them easier, but it also increases the stance of your vehicle to help keep it more stable. The swinging affect means more lift is needed to avoid rubbing.

Fede_italiano said:
Thanks for your graph.
The thing that i do not understand is that if our stock offset is 55, will the 42 offset work?

There will be a difference of -13 meaning that the enkei will stay closer to the car?

Is that correct? Will the tire be to inward? Will it look funny?

Thanks

Positive offset is how most factory wheels are designed. The wheel center is moves the wheel closer to the vehicle, therefore moving the tire closer to the vehicle, helping to tuck it under the fenderwell. This means the wheel rotates on its axis.

Negative offset is how most aftermarket wheels are designed. They move the center of the wheel away from the vehicle. Therefore, moving the tires away from the vehicle, and increasing the turning radius. Rather that spinning on its axis, it swings on its axis. There are several inherent flaws with this, while they may be unavoidable. Increasing the offset puts more leverage on the lugs, which means you can break them easier, but it also increases the stance of your vehicle to help keep it more stable. The swinging affect means more lift is needed to avoid rubbing.

After looking at those rims I found out that the Motegi and Enkei Evo5 and Konig have a very small offset from 40 to 42.
I am not sure if it is good given that if I run a search on tirerack all the wheels they give as option for the MSP have at least 45 offset.

I am a bit confused about this issue.

and dont listen to the people saying a 42 offset wheel wont work....it will, just change the size of your tire and roll the fenders....if not that grind it. The only way my car would rub is if i did switch backs with three people in the back

Fede_italiano said:
Dealer told $571 for 1 stock rim.
That is as much as 4 motegi or 4 konig.
Dealer is ripping you off. I paid about 332 after taxes to get a stock wheel overnighted.... That was before I started working at a dealership.

Puckpimp71 said:
Dealer is ripping you off. I paid about 332 after taxes to get a stock wheel overnighted.... That was before I started working at a dealership.
the rim for 03.5 is 571 and 423 from mazdastuff.
the rim for 03 is 273

The actually cost twice as much.

I have not purchased anything yet. Still trying to see what i should do.

Fede_italiano said:
the rim for 03.5 is 571 and 423 from mazdastuff.
the rim for 03 is 273

The actually cost twice as much.

I have not purchased anything yet. Still trying to see what i should do.

at those prices, you might as well get some nice aftermarket rims like the Enkei RPF1's or Gram Lights 57s...

.. If you're gonna be stealin' my kinda wheels and puttin' 'em on another Titanium MSP, you better never come to PA. :p ;)

Edit: PA .. or NJ!

Last edited:
Rush said:
.. If you're gonna be stealin' my kinda wheels and puttin' 'em on another Titanium MSP, you better never come to PA. :p ;)

Edit: PA .. or NJ!
No worries Rush.

Guys thanks for your inputs.

Back