New Transmission or Rebuild the old one?!

:
Mazda Protege 5 Turbo
My 5th gear is slipping as accelerate and now recently the 3rd gear has gotten really rough with some grinding along with it. Only takes a few seconds in 5th to want to pop out and as i let off on the gas it'll continue to stay in.

Im not sure if its the clutch gone bad/low fluid, but it sounds like it's more than that. I've been reading and there are a few possibles options that could be the problem.

1.) The synchronizer
2.) Shifter bushings
3.) Bent shift linkage
4.) Clutch went bad (previously mentioned)
5.) Low/bad fluids (previously mentioned)

The tranny has 87k on it. From what i know from the previous owner that everything is stock (MSP LSD tranny). The whole flywheel and clutch is stock. And for those who unaware of my build, i did a ATX to MTX swap including a whole different motor as well. I did not detach the tranny from the motor during the swap so i did not touch anything internally for the transmission. I am unsure of what the problem may be.

I would love to hear input or advice. I'm curious on what the price would be if i did a Rebuild on the tranny. Suggestions on what items to get? Clutch/flywheel/gear set wise i was thinking of getting ACT heavy duty (268ftq)/ Fidanza light weight 7lbs. / GTX gear set (seen from protege garage). I dont know what else i may need. What should i do? XD Money is a little tight, but if its something that i must do then i might as well do it the RIGHT way.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...kalicious21-s-Protege5-Build-Progress-Thread-!

well the clutch would certainly contribute to it. i attribute the grinding popping to the synchronizer's. its kind of hard to know till u crack it open though. 5th is slipping cause of the clutch im gona say.

I see slipping clutch and/or bad motor mounts in your future plans. My motor mounts were stock and worn, causind the tranny and engine to shift too much and made the 3-4th shift fork finally snap. My third would pop out from time to time, I replaced the fork with a new one from Mazda(which should be an upgraded version), and urethaned the stock mounts. That worked until I noticed it popping out in 3rd again, which was attributed to the filled stock mounts not holding up very well after about 3 weeks. So next was to get real solid mounts like SLS, medevil, etc. Check your mounts also.

well the clutch would certainly contribute to it. i attribute the grinding popping to the synchronizer's. its kind of hard to know till u crack it open though. 5th is slipping cause of the clutch im gona say.

Yeah, I plan to crack it open very soon. I tried driving it last night and the car just sounded horrible.

I see slipping clutch and/or bad motor mounts in your future plans. My motor mounts were stock and worn, causind the tranny and engine to shift too much and made the 3-4th shift fork finally snap. My third would pop out from time to time, I replaced the fork with a new one from Mazda(which should be an upgraded version), and urethaned the stock mounts. That worked until I noticed it popping out in 3rd again, which was attributed to the filled stock mounts not holding up very well after about 3 weeks. So next was to get real solid mounts like SLS, medevil, etc. Check your mounts also.

Motor mounts huh. Well then i'm going to have to check it out. I did upgrade the tranny mounts with AWR inserts. Hopefully that's not the case because that would be a waste. Sorry to be little noobish, but the shift fork is that something internally inside the tranny or we talking about the fork from the shifter to the tranny?

To add to my case. I car is making super loud screeching noises from the tranny (kind of throw itself around) and now my belts are screaming too.

I would love to hear more options if anyone wants to give their 2 cents. Thank you guys for responding. =) Helps jog the mind.

Yeah, I plan to crack it open very soon. I tried driving it last night and the car just sounded horrible.

Motor mounts huh. Well then i'm going to have to check it out. I did upgrade the tranny mounts with AWR inserts. Hopefully that's not the case because that would be a waste. Sorry to be little noobish, but the shift fork is that something internally inside the tranny or we talking about the fork from the shifter to the tranny?

To add to my case. I car is making super loud screeching noises from the tranny (kind of throw itself around) and now my belts are screaming too.

I would love to hear more options if anyone wants to give their 2 cents. Thank you guys for responding. =) Helps jog the mind.
shift forks are the the things that hold the gears and select them.
DSCF0704.jpg

heres a pic on the synchro
DSCF0665.jpg

when was the last time you checked to see if there is even any fluid in the trans? sounds like you are driving around with little to no fluid. might want to check that out first before you buy anything.

i was about to suggest that. or it could be the diff. i have heard of instances of them whining before they are about to go.

id say slipping clutch, and 3rd and fifth gear, ppl like to think that its the synrcos but if it goes in gear syncros are fine, syncros are just there to guide gears in, most likely its the gear, im actually in the process of rebuilding mine right now and so far im in 300 deep just for 3rd gear, it poped it started as grinding then it started poping out, i took it apart and noticed that the third gear, 3rd and 4th gear hub sleeve were junk. but im replacing the syncro just in case. and the worst part is only mazda had the parts but they are cheaper than aftermarket parts. any questions pm plus i get discounts on mazda parts

id say slipping clutch, and 3rd and fifth gear, ppl like to think that its the synrcos but if it goes in gear syncros are fine, syncros are just there to guide gears in, most likely its the gear, im actually in the process of rebuilding mine right now and so far im in 300 deep just for 3rd gear, it poped it started as grinding then it started poping out, i took it apart and noticed that the third gear, 3rd and 4th gear hub sleeve were junk. but im replacing the syncro just in case. and the worst part is only mazda had the parts but they are cheaper than aftermarket parts. any questions pm plus i get discounts on mazda parts
I appreciate the help. Possible pm might be coming soon. haha
when was the last time you checked to see if there is even any fluid in the trans? sounds like you are driving around with little to no fluid. might want to check that out first before you buy anything.
I didn't check the fluid. When i did the motor sway i didn't detach the tranny from the motor so i was thinking that it would be still have fluid. I'll definitely check that out before anything. Great advice.
i was about to suggest that. or it could be the diff. i have heard of instances of them whining before they are about to go.

Thanks for the picture bro. Definitely clears things up for me.

Would you suggest doing it by myself? I would like to learn, but i wonder if it's a project that is out of my hands to do alone. XD

well i did it alone.....hahaha the hardest part was pulling the dam thing out. before u actually do it make sure you go order extra seals and other stuff listed in the how to. and make sure u have everything u need. if you do decide to do it yourself

well i did it alone.....hahaha the hardest part was pulling the dam thing out. before u actually do it make sure you go order extra seals and other stuff listed in the how to. and make sure u have everything u need. if you do decide to do it yourself
Ill definitely put that into consideration when i do plan to do this. First thing i plan to do is check the fluid and if that's the case (cross my fingers) then i won't have to spend junk loads of money on the trans =)

so far on my trans 200 on 3rd gear, 33 on fluids, 77 on syncro, 30 on fifth fork, 104 on 3rd and 4th hub sleeve, 10 on output seals, 10 on main shaft bearing, 30 on new lock nuts for main shafts, i think thats it and oh 6 hours so far.

Back