New to this, just bought my MS3 NEED HELP!

tmarshall55

:
2009 MS3
Just bought my 2009 MS3, but the problem is, its all stock! I NEED MODS! where can i find aftermarket parts for sale on here? It seems as if the marketplace doesn't have to much stuff on there! please help! or any other forums out there that have a hefty for sale section? LMK

The simplest, most effective mods are intake and a rear motor mount. Beyond that there's much to be gained with exhaust downpipe and some other changes there, but it's wise to monitor the car if you plan any of this. It's particularly important the MAF meter is reading accurately and that the factory fuel pump is fully up specs in regards to pressure. The direct injection uses a very high pressure fuel system. You have an 09 which is pretty new, so you don't likely have much to worry about there unless the previous owner put a load of miles on it.

Some help with acronyms commonly used here:
SRI = Short Ram Intake which leaved the intake point and filter under the hood.
CAI = Cold Air Intake = longer than a short ram and runs the filter lower in the car, typically in front of the driver side wheel behind the bumper cover.
RMM = Rear Motor Mount - the factory rubber one leaves a lot to be desired, is highly flexible, prone to cracking, and allows ample wheel hop on aggressive starts or launch.
TP = Test Pipe = a short section of the exhaust with a catalytic converter on it can be replaced with a test pipe to improve exhaust flow and performance.
DP = Down Pipe = the section of exhaust from the turbo down to the test pipe. Some units are all one piece incorporating the test pipe section going all the way to the cat back exhaust.
CBE = Cat Back Exhaust
TMIC = Top Mount InterCooler
BOV = Blow Off Valve ( actually does not blow off boost or vent to atmosphere, but recirculates it in OEM form in this car ).
VTA = Vent to Atmosphere

I could go on....there are many more but I don't have time to post all right now.

Start with a good intake and see what you think. It makes a noticeable difference in power and adds intake and turbo sounds as well as the blow off valve.
I suggest one with intake air straighteners which are used in the factory mass air meter housing.

Nice start there, Wurf, for OP.

My two bits is that an aftermarket intake, just about any reputable brand, either SRI or CAI (which I prefer) will dramatically improve performance in this car. I don't know why Mazda put such a restrictive intake on this car. The major car magazines, both Car & Driver and Road & Track dynoed this car before and after installing the Mazdaspeed branded CAI (made by AEM) and saw about 20 wheel horsepower and 20 ft. pounds of torque gains. That is tremendous for such a simple mod. SRI's show similar gains and I won't bog us down in the never-ending debate about which is better. Either will produce profound power increase over the stock intake.

And don't, I repeat, don't buy an aftermarket BOV and try to run it vent to atmosphere on this car. This engine is controlled by an electronic brain that depends on a signal from a certain sensor, the mass air flow sensor (MAF). That sensor is located between your air filter and the inlet on your turbo. It measures the mass of air crossing its sensor and uses that air mass value to calculate how much fuel to tell the injectors to squirt into the engine under incredibly high pressure (over 1600 psi). The stock bypass valve (BPV) works extremely well, but if you have one of the rare ones that develops a leak, for gosh sakes get a replacement that is set up to recirculate that already measured (metered) air back into the intake. If you vent to air, you are highly likely to have a rough running engine that stumbles at low rpm, that runs excessively rich and is not much fun to drive, at a minimum. The engine expects that air to go into the cylinders through the intake valves to match the fuel being shot from the injectors. When that air goes to atmosphere, the engine is being deprived on air the computer says it should be getting.

And don't go spending a lot of money on a catback exhaust expecting a power gain. The stock exhaust flows extremely well and little to no power gains can be made by changing it out. There are restrictions on the exhaust side, but they are upstream in the badly designed downpipe and two (yes two) low flow catalytic converters. Cat back exhaust (CBE) will only produce a change in sound, and such exhausts are expensive.

Intake and a rear motor mount, like Wurf said, ought to be your beginning point.

A good way to tell what mods are working and how well the work is look at the mods list on the signature line of some of the more frequent and respected posters here and use the search function to do some reading. About that: our search function is not very good IMHO. A good way to search this site is to use Google instead. Just begin your Google search terms with "mazdas247" (without the quotes) followed by the search terms. It will take you to this site and then conduct the search.

Enjoy you Speed 3. You're going to like it a lot. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
thanks for the help, I will definitely start with the Mount, and the intake, Really doing some research and thinking of the Cobb CAI, what you think?

I think COBB only makes an SRI but it's a good unit if that's your plan.
You might find a deal in the classifieds here if you shop for awhile. Part-outs are pretty common and they come up a lot.
Good CAI are the AEM or the Mazdaspeed unit ( they are the same intake ) as well as the CPE brand. The CPE is 3" diameter from the MAF housing to the filter.
There are a number of other ones out there. I'm using an Injen and it seems to work fine, but it lacks air straighteners. I recommend an intake with straighteners.
SRI - quite a few more out there. COBB, CPE, K&N, SURE, and finally one of the best IMO is Corksport. Theirs includes a turbo inlet pipe and uses a billet MAF meter. Lots of bang for buck.

You might find a deal in the classifieds here if you shop for awhile. Part-outs are pretty common and they come up a lot.
Good CAI are the AEM or the Mazdaspeed unit ( they are the same intake ) as well as the CPE brand. The CPE is 3" diameter from the MAF housing to the filter.
There are a number of other ones out there. I'm using an Injen and it seems to work fine, but it lacks air straighteners. I recommend an intake with straighteners.
SRI - quite a few more out there. COBB, CPE, K&N, SURE, and finally one of the best IMO is Corksport. Theirs includes a turbo inlet pipe and uses a billet MAF meter. Lots of bang for buck.

yeah I meant the Cobb SRI, I think Im gonna go with that

One more thing - many CAI instruction sets tell you to remove the front bumper and this is absolutely not necessary. I do however recommend if you go with a CAI to put a hydroshield on the filter. If you decide to go CAI we can help you with installing it by providing some simpler instructions. I just did mine and did little more than drop down the skid panel and part of the fender liner on the driver side. On a new install, you'll need to get up inside the area behind the driver side headlight to remove a splash panel so it's probably easier to remove the driver side front wheel and put the car on a jack stand there.

I guess while I'm on the subject, some of the many cited benefits of a SRI VS CAI are:

1. Ease of installation.
2. Not needing to worry about water on the filter or worse ( hydrolock ).

But....I like the CAI better.

Hope I'm not seagull posting.

I agree. Corksport price for their "Stage 2" is definitely one of the best around.

Back