New to the Forum - Headlight Question - Problem with Xenons

sevenm

Hello -

I'm new to the forum, this is my first post.
I have a 2004 3 with Xenon headlights. I've had problems with the stock HID ballast modules blowing (I've replaced 3 so far). I'm at a point where I don't want to purchase another HID ballast.

Any suggestions? Maybe switch to a totally aftermarket HID setup or switch to Halogen?

Looking for a more cost effective alternative.

Thanks,

Is it always the same side that's blowing or either/or? Are there any issues with the wiring? Have you replaced them or has the dealer? Any accidents involving the front of the car?

You always have options to go with. You could purchase aftermarket ballasts and wire those to your HIDs. You could purchase ballasts from another vehicle? I'm curious if your issue isn't in the ballasts themselves but rather in something else in the system that's frying them. That's why I asked about your wiring and if it were just one side just incase there were a short somewhere.

If you eventually do come to the point you could of course switch to halogen lamps. Now that said the projectors in the OEM HID housing will only accept D2S lamps so you'd either need to cobble together a rebased halogen lamp or swap your housings for an OEM halogen housing that fits H7 lamps. Just so you know if you decide you want to do this let me know and I'd happily swap my halogen housings for your HID ones.

Found the problem - headlamp casing had a small crack and was leaking. Water ran down into the ballast. Shook the water out of the ballast and poured a little CorrosionX into it. Works fine now.Sealed up the crack with some silicone.

Latest posts

Back