New to Miatas...Old Member

Vord

:
99 Emerald Mica Miata LS
Just picked up a new 1999 Emerald Mica Miata LS (47k miles too!). I used to own an MS3. I lurked a lot, posted a little in that forum. Glad to join the RWD club. Its already a ton of fun and I have only had it for one day.

Looking forward to posting here, I will get some pics. up tomorrow.

I do have a quick question, any suggestions on cruise control? Its not working at all for some reason. I don't really mind, but its kinda nice on those long highway drives.

First on the menu: Rollbar & door bracings (2 weeks)

DSC_0010EDIT.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the darkside! How are you liking your Miata so far?

Concerning your cruise control, mine doesn't work either. I can turn it on but when I go to set speed it won't come on for some reason, gotta figure that out.

Welome. '99 is a good year. At least I think so. :)

Cruise. Does the main button light when depressed? Are your clutch and brake switches functioning correctly?

Welcome to the darkside! How are you liking your Miata so far?

Concerning your cruise control, mine doesn't work either. I can turn it on but when I go to set speed it won't come on for some reason, gotta figure that out.

Ok, So I couldn't see the light very well on my cruise control button. Turns out mine works. Its a bit laggy and what not, but atleast it holds the correct speed.

But, In the mean time I did end up looking up the problem and here is what I found courtesy of miata.net (you can find this by looking up 1999 miata cruise control).

"The Cruise Control Craps out

Many '99 owners have had trouble with their cruise control. Basically, after setting the speed, the car refuses to hold the setting, sometimes accelerating as much as 15mph over the set speed. You will need a replacement cruise control processor. See your dealer for the warranty work."

I have to wait one more day on the pics as I left my camera at my friend's house and he won't be back till tomorrow.

Meh... cruise is overrated. So much that they didn't even think of putting it on the MSM. Haha.

J/k. Glad to see you're one of us now!

*chants* One of us. One of us....

....gonna have to add me to the lineage.

Had to sell my p5 in hawaii, (thanks effron) picked up a 99 emerald mica miata here in San Antonio with 71k on the clock. Whole new car to learn about.! Fun times so far.....

-jason

lol, least he's not a Protege convert.

So no sig added. ;)

Welcome, new folks :D

Regarding door bars, I'm not generally a fan. They're a great thing to smash your knees open on in the event of an accident. Sure, they may stiffen the chassis some, but it's just 1 more piece of metal flying around the cockpit in a t-bone collision.

The same way I'm not a fan of full cages in street driven cars (cages are meant to work with helmets...), I'm not a fan of door bars unless they look like this:

Nascar%20Bars%20XL.jpg

Intruding into the door, join up with a roll bar front hoop, giving more space in the cockpit between sheet metal and driver in the event of a wreck.

Last edited:
Welcome, new folks :D

Regarding door bars, I'm not generally a fan. They're a great thing to smash your knees open on in the event of an accident. Sure, they may stiffen the chassis some, but it's just 1 more piece of metal flying around the cockpit in a t-bone collision.

The same way I'm not a fan of full cages in street driven cars (cages are meant to work with helmets...), I'm not a fan of door bars unless they look like this:

Nascar%20Bars%20XL.jpg

Intruding into the door, join up with a roll bar front hoop, giving more space in the cockpit between sheet metal and driver in the event of a wreck.

Interesting, Thats a good point. I see the design idea is much better (in your pic) and where your thinking is coming from. That would probably make the miata much more difficult to get into. I may have been convinced otherwise had you posted this about 2 days ago. They are on the way now, but hopefully I will not get t-boned.

As a quick update:
I have been a bit slow on the pics as the car is dirty as ****. its been raining here intermittently, but I have the next 3 days free of rain, so I am going to go clean it and do the exterior pics. I will have interior pics. next week when the new window switch comes in (and I finish cleaning the interior too!).
I have a series of other parts (on the way) and repairs to do to the car. I will take pics and maintain a little journal in a new thread.

Interesting, Thats a good point. I see the design idea is much better (in your pic) and where your thinking is coming from. That would probably make the miata much more difficult to get into.

Well yeah, but it's also an integral part to the full cage the car's running. And the doors are gutted to make room for this. So, pretty much none of this is for street use IMO.

Well yeah, but it's also an integral part to the full cage the car's running. And the doors are gutted to make room for this. So, pretty much none of this is for street use IMO.

Yea, I understand. but I think the key to the safety part is the doors gutted and the bars extending all the way across. with the boss frogs, they could bend inward in a much more unsafe manner. we will see though. I am uploading the pics now.

Back