New to me 04 MSM

stevetsmith2

:
07, Mazda, CX9 GT and 04 Mazdaspeed Miata
Hello all. I'm in the process of purchasing a used Mazda Speed Miata. This is my first Miata. I'm wondering what kind of gotcha's I need to be aware of. It's an un-molested 04. I'm sure I will be looking to mod it but only after I go over the car.
Thanks
Steve

Feel free to hit me up any time with MSM questions. I have a 2004 as well. I bought mine completely molested with the Flyin Miata Big Enchilada kit installed, so my owner experience will be a bit different.

There is one annoyance with the car, and it's known as "The Bog." hits a funny spot in the ECU where it hesitates a moment, then goes like a bat out of hell. I have no experience with it, but there are a few other MSM owners on here who may have.

princess peach
bazooka joe
kzl99es (used to have one)
6speed

I think that's all.

Thanks for the info. First order of business is not to go any faster but feel a little safer in the car. Rollbar and better supportive seats are 1st order. The go fast bits will come as I get better acquainted to the car. Its just a weekend car right now for some top down driving when weather permits. But future does call for some weekend HPDE track time with it. I am used to having some steel over my head when I'm out on the track but the handling of this car is begging to get it out and explore it's outer limits. With in reason now. Safety first then suspension and last the go faster bits. I've already contacted Flyin Miata and the Big Enchilada looks like the way to go. Now where that lottery ticket!
Cheers
Steve

Wanted to shoot out an update. Roll bar and door bars, check. Fat Cat coilovers with new sways and end links. 6ul's with nt01's check. Corner balanced. Ride is very firm now, no bounce at all. New cam timing belt and water pump. Went with BEGI and got the CAI and turbo inlet from them. Had them reflash the ecu also. I got to say, the car is a ball to drive now. I'll be out at TWS this next weekend with it. We'll see how she performs.

Back