new to forums, need help with P0340 code!!

ianbuck17

:
03 protege5 hatch
Ive searched google and this forum for someone with the same problem as me but I havent found someone with the exact same problem. Its cranking but wont start. P0340 is indentified as a camshaft position sensor fault. Ive tested and replaced the sensor with no results. Some websites tell me that this code gets thrown out for various but semi related components. When the issue presented itself I was cruising down the highway in the fast lane and the engine cut out and it wouldnt start again.
Is it fuel relay, pcm, egr, crank sensor, or timing belt? I have no idea what to do next?! so far ive only tested and replaced sensor and cleaned and charged battery.

Check your wiring and your crank sensor.

You could probably check for voltage on your cam sensor to see if your cams are turning (snapped belt).

Ahh nice tricks yeah the belt is snapped I didn't want to get the cover off if I didn't have to. The belt broke at highway speed and I want to know if there is any damage to the valves or anything else before replacing timing belt. Do I need a leak down test? Is this engine an interference or non interference?

Ahh nice tricks yeah the belt is snapped I didn't want to get the cover off if I didn't have to. The belt broke at highway speed and I want to know if there is any damage to the valves or anything else before replacing timing belt. Do I need a leak down test? Is this engine an interference or non interference?

Checking the valve clearance will give you an idea. You'll need a feeler gauge. Rotate the cam and check the clearance with the lobe pointing straight up.

A bent valve won't close all the way and the clearance will be excessive.

A leak down test won't tell you anything without a timing belt.

... Is this engine an interference or non interference?

It's generally considered a non interference engine but a couple of guys have bent valves when their belt snapped.

There's a REALLY good chance your engine is fine.

Back