new to boost. help with BOV

Steven1062

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege'
i was wondering if i could use a ebay BOV like HKS or someing and how hard it was to install?

i did look on the mazdaspeed website and a direct fit OEM BOV was $189 thats out of my price range

any help or insight on what BOV to get and how difficult the install process is for a non OEM fit BOV would be great.

whats wrong with your original bpv?
if there isnt anything wrong just leave it as is.

normally an ebay bov is just going to be a head ache, some times they turn out ok. But most of the time they'll leak and cause compressor surge, which will wear your turbo down.

installation is straight forward, relocate the MAF sensor to the charge pipe between your throttle body and BOV. run vacuum line to BOV. thats it. oh yea and follow instructions on how to adjust it if applicable.

try finding a decent BOV second hand save some money.or even if you buy a fake HKS buy it second hand every time they sell a fake one it hurts HKS. sucks HKS cant get that issue under control. every single one on ebay is fake.

edit: look on the for sale section. It common to find a good deals on hard piping and BOVs

Last edited:
compressor surge, which will wear your turbo down.
Is he using a journal bearing turbo? If not, compressor surge doesn't have the adverse affects on a ball bearing turbo like it does on a journal bearing turbo.

thanks for the input. there is nothing wrong with the bpv. i just want people to know its boosted thats the reason im looking into buy a new BOV for that nice little shoooss sound

i will be sure to look for a good second hand one. could you give some more info on relocating the MAF im pretty new to boost this is my first turboed car i plan on working on myself

Gotta say it, installing just a bov alone on a mostly stock car is kinda pointless rice. Your stock bpv does the job fine. If your looking for sounds replace your air box with a cone filter and you'll hear spool and bypass.

First question, is the car stock? Does it have a front mount intercooler on it?

Can any of us here for 100% fact say that we would rather here the bpv over a bov? It may be useless other than making noise but there are many more useless mods I've seen on here

Best way to learn is to see how other people have done it here is a thread full of pictures http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123802436-Post-your-relocated-MAF-VTA-BOV-set-up

most people that run BOV do because they have a DIY front mount and intercooler piping and its much easier to vent than to recirculate when you're making your own kit.
Like me :). i really could care less about the noise, and my BOV is not very loud. It just works well that why i like it.
Also the blow off from a loud valve gets super annoying if its your daily, and really makes the car stand out. I like to drive around and for everyone not to think anything of my car. My car from the outside looks stock. Just another 10 year old eco box no one wants to steal or break into.

If you want a car that doesn't stand out an msp is not for you. Also you can still do a recirc setup with a bov. They both do the same function. Bpv will keep the turbo spooled in between shifts but if you have lag issues with the stock turbo you have other issues

If you drive a turbo car and get annoyed with a loud bov you chose the wrong car

I have my HKS VTA and I thought I would be sick of it in a few days. 2 years later I still love it!

Just start by getting your average bolt ons and you'll be surprised at how much louder your spool and bpv will get. I'd go that route before dumping money on a bov. Yes, they are attention grabbers. But if you just want people to know you are boosted, install a fmic and be done with it. Intake for louder spool, fmic will definitely scream "I'm boosted" and more importantly get rid of the crappy heat soak issue with the stock smic. Going this route will also avoid the possible drivability issues from running VTA without research first. If you are still set on getting a bov after reading this, then at least look at the thread for the dual bpv/bov setup or just recirculate your bov, lastly, you could look at relocating your MAF. It's definitely not an install and forget mod. MAF equipped cars suck with VTA setups unless you read up on it first. But, I do have to admit, a VTA setup is pretty cool in my books. My HKS used to scare the crap out of people. My favorite use for it is when I'm driving behind someone on their phone that is driving under the speed limit or when I'm passing someone on their phone and they start drifting into my lane. I always spool up on them and blow off right next to their window as I pass them. I did that once and the lady dropped her phone out of the window.

Last edited:
Can any of us here for 100% fact say that we would rather here the bpv over a bov? It may be useless other than making noise but there are many more useless mods I've seen on here
I one-hundred percent prefer using a recirc BPV rather than a VTA BOV in my MSP. The MAF sensor on the Protege is designed for a draw-through charge. It's an expensive part, so I definitely would rather not tempt failure with a stupid relocation.

Full disclosure: I use the Forge piston-type BPV (the one they make for the Mazdaspeed Miata) in my car with no issues and no compressor surge.

heh. been running the maf relocated for two tears plus now and its is perfectly safe.. not running rediculous boost numbers like many of you but it really is ok. im running a vented hks but your right, my intercooler system is a ebay special ha. if i ever replace it with a more professional install, ill ditch the hks and go to a recirculated greddy.
the hks appealed to the 25 year old in me... now that im in my 30s though.. it annoys other people. as much as my hids heh.
of course, the stock bpv sounds TERRIBLE when you upgrade your intake to a cone system. absolutely terrible...

I one-hundred percent prefer using a recirc BPV rather than a VTA BOV in my MSP. The MAF sensor on the Protege is designed for a draw-through charge. It's an expensive part, so I definitely would rather not tempt failure with a stupid relocation.

Full disclosure: I use the Forge piston-type BPV (the one they make for the Mazdaspeed Miata) in my car with no issues and no compressor surge.

No, it is designed to see how much air is passing through it doesn't matter if it's pre or post turbo, it's seeing the same amount of air. Now a vaf like older mazdas have are designed to be pre turbo and are not able to be relocated. I was getting a back fire in between shifts with a vta setup because of this. Vaf delete with a map conversion will fix that though

And if the relocation is so stupid why does everyone do it? You probably think a side mount inter cooler is awesome as well don't you?

And if the relocation is so stupid why does everyone do it?
Just to run a VTA blow-off valve it seems. I didn't go this route, so saying 'everyone does it' is slightly disingenuous.

You probably think a side mount inter cooler is awesome as well don't you?
I fail to see how my view on the recirculation set-up of the MSP is in any way related to how I feel about intercooler placement.

heh. been running the maf relocated for two tears plus now and its is perfectly safe.. not running rediculous boost numbers like many of you but it really is ok. im running a vented hks but your right, my intercooler system is a ebay special ha. if i ever replace it with a more professional install, ill ditch the hks and go to a recirculated greddy.
the hks appealed to the 25 year old in me... now that im in my 30s though.. it annoys other people. as much as my hids heh.
of course, the stock bpv sounds TERRIBLE when you upgrade your intake to a cone system. absolutely terrible...

Exactly my case as well, Ebay FMIC setup, HKS VTA and had the MAF relocated for more than 2 years now with no problems. I have never had any drive-ability issues with my BOV/FMIC setup since installing it.

Back