New Tire Recommendations?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Hey, So I've been running Nokian Hakka R's this winter on steelies and have loved them, but the seasons are changing and I need to get some new non-winter tires. I've been happy with the my Kumho ASX 195/50-R16's but I have been looking at the Kumho 4U's the falken 912's as they have a longer warranty of 40,000mi. I have also heard good things about the dunlop direzza summer tires but have not been able to find any info on how long those tires are lasting people. Has anyone on here run them and how long have they lasted? I have new daughter as of August so I'm not driving like I stole it anymore but still have a bit of fun in the corners and twisties and stuff. Is there something else out there that I should look at instead. If there already is a thread about this please direct me to it, I couldn't find anything when I searched, and yes I know where the search button is and how to use it, just didn't have much luck. Thanks

I don't know if you know but the stock tire size is 195/50-R16, but the 205/50-R16 fit perfectly on the stock setup (that's what I use), and there is a lot more choices and prices available in that tire size.

Hey question pcb i just installed a set of tokico struts which lowered the car about 1.5" on both front and back. I was wondering if the 205 size would still fit or would it most likely give me wheel rub?

I really don't know but there are numerous threads about tire sizing and off set. I'm thinking you should be fine because the guys were using pretty big wheels and tires before there was a problem.

This thread was started 11 years ago:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-FITMENT-RECIPE&highlight=rishies+wheel&pp=15

A good general info. site:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

My car is stock and I have no problem with tire rub. Maybe someone with these tires and the same tokico strut setup will post something for you.

Last edited:
I have nitto neo gens on my protege theyre awesome, especially in the rain but from what i am told they dont last long. Im runing dunlop dizzerra on my 323 i got them used so i cant comment on life but theyre better on dry road than the neo gens, wet weather neo gens will out do them

Falkens are junk, just saying. Ive had bad experiences and multiple other people have as well

The only people ive heard of neo gens not lasting are from honda people who think camber wear is normal so i wasnt sure. If i get 40k miles out of mine ill be very happy

Consumer Reports ranked the Cooper Zeon RS3-A #1 in the last UHP tire review I read. They're relatively inexpensive and have a 40,000mi warranty. Overall, a great value, it seems.

I have never run Falkens or coopers which are extremely popular because of the price. However, you have to be careful about warranites. Doesn't mean they will last that long. Just means if the tire doesn't last that long, you have the ability to get another set pro rated on a tire that does not last as long as stated.
Like bastian said, it is good to read the reviews. Falkens have a high mileage warranty, but there are many complaints on discount tire direct about the tires not lasting even close to the warranty.
Generals are a really underrated tire. Never run the Gmax's, but my Dad's silverado came with generals and they were great tires that lasted over 60k. The neo gens have been the best all around tire I have come across. Something to consider-bias aside-is a tire that is asymmetrical. Especially on a car that is lowered, you can rotate them like crazy to get a lot of mileage out of them. The one tire that beats the the neo gens for me was the general exclaim uhp. Rain performance was unbeatable, and dry traction for the price was very good. Here in CA, the Gmax's are very popular.
But then it all comes down to what you want, and what tire size you are running.
Been through a lot of uhp tires, just trying to help.

I just put on Kumho Exta 4x about 1000 miles ago.Pretty grippy and they dont want to tramline like the BF goodrich super sports I had before this.Picked them up in January for 82 bucks a tire at tread depot online.They were also 6 lbs less weight per tire.Zero problems so far.I know Mazda recommends 32 lbs per tire,but 38 seems to work best in this case.

I just bought the General G-Max AS-03 in a 205/50-R16... From everything I read they are a great tire. I'll let you know once I have a few miles on them.

I heard from a local tire shop they are discontinuing the G-Max because of blowouts? I recommended them to a few people but the tire shop said no. Any idea if there's any truth to this?

Wanna see if I can bring this thread back. Any news on the Generals and their possible blowouts? I'm shopping tires now and saw they were $15 off each tire, but didn't know if that was why. Also, I'm kinda in a bad spot. I need new tires pretty soon, but don't know if I should just go with all-seasons now or buy snow tires now for my stock rims (only cuz they're on sale ha) and some summer tires in spring on new rims. I can't afford summer tires now with snow tires later this year sadly, since winter is less than 3 months away (damn you Minnesota) and I have more I need to fix on my ride before then. Opinions? I'm gonna do more research tonight, but if anyone has tried out good tires that are gonna last, let me know!

I'm on General Altimax'es and they're okay. The outside is worn beyond belief but the shop I took it to to get them balanced said they may be that way due to under inflation. Reviews I read say they're hard to keep balanced, not sure how that works. I'm going to pick up a set of them again when it's time to replace. For now though, I'm looking to get General Arctic (or thereabouts) at $75/tire, they don't seem too high priced. Thats from tirerack and anticipating getting steelies before the winter comes. Like everyone else said though, look up all the reviews. One thing I read and feel I agree with is "I don't mind spending a decent amount on tires. Thats an expense thats well worth it" (again, thereabouts). My pal paid $1000 for run flats. When I price out mine at ~$560, I'm not complaining.

I do know everyone says Blizzaks are amazing in the snow. I haven't experienced either tire though, so I can't comment. If the General Arctics are any good, I'll pick them up (like I said, at $75/tire, that seems pretty good)

True story about the Blizzaks. I've heard a lot of people recommending those, so hopefully I can get a set pretty soon. Just not sure if I want those on steelies or my rims now. Decisions decisions.....
I have heard a few good things about General tires in general (no pun intended), so maybe I'll give them a shot. These were what I was looking at. I don't know if I'd go through Tire Rack though (Discount Tire has a location in town and a price match guarantee; plus I don't wanna pay $60 for shipping) and most of the reviews are pretty good. If I can hold off on buying tires though, I'll defs get some Blizzaks in September or October. One of my tires is at the point of needing replacement very soon, and my front tires are getting to that point faster than they should (curse you "grand touring" tires and your so-so sidewalls), so maybe I need my alignment checked when I get them too.

I think its advised to get an alignment with new tires... Maybe I'm just anal but I would think every 3-4k miles (in my case since pass rear toe is off, bent frame) when I rotate the tires, I was going to get it aligned. Like I said though, I don't know what the recommendations are.

Yeah, I'm wondering if I have some issue similar to your's, cuz my rear passenger tire is the lowest of all 4, and much lower than the other rear tire. Hopefully it's not too expensive of a fix, although I kinda doubt it.

Back