New tire question: Avons or Michelins?

LuckyL

:
2005 Mazda 3 5 door
After driving my Mazda 3 5-door on the stock Goodyears for a bit over a year and suffering through several snow storms with these tires that, in wintry conditions, feel more like skis than something with tread, it finally dawned on me that I was blaming the car for handling problems caused by really bad tires.

I have researched Tire Rack and now am torn between the less expesive and more highly rated Avon Tech M550 A/S and the much more expensive Michelins Pilot Sport A/S tires.

The Avon higher rating is based on fewer user miles and I could buy 4 for the cost of 3 of the Michelins.

But we have the Michelin tire on our other car (1996 Acura Integra) and my spouse swears by them.

Any one have any experience or thoughts to share on this topic?

LuckyL

you look at the pirelli pzero nero a/s? heard good things about those from some co-workers and i think they are priced close to the michelins.

The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is available in the Mazda3 OEM 17-inch tire size and is more cost effective than the Pilot Sport A/S, so this is another option if going with Michelin.

LuckyL said:
After driving my Mazda 3 5-door on the stock Goodyears for a bit over a year and suffering through several snow storms with these tires that, in wintry conditions, feel more like skis than something with tread, it finally dawned on me that I was blaming the car for handling problems caused by really bad tires... ...Any one have any experience or thoughts to share on this topic?
I had some experience years ago with Avons on a Volvo I used to own. I was not impressed. They were soft and didn't handle well, and after about 18 months began to develop dry rot (cracks.) This is enough for me to think twice about purchasing them again. But who knows, things change. I would say that you get what you pay for but at times have found this to not always be the case.. especially these days. Sometimes, in todays market all your paying for is hype and advertising (e.g. Goodyears.)
Tires are a hard one, because usually you can't take them back if you don't like them. In the end it's nothing but a crap shoot, but nearly anything would surly be better than these Goodyears. I too will be up against this same decision before too long and haven't been able to make up my mind either.

Good Luck!

tsunami said:
you look at the pirelli pzero nero a/s? heard good things about those from some co-workers and i think they are priced close to the michelins.

If I'm going to spend the extra bucks, I'm likely to go with the Michelins. We have experience with them which we don't with Pirellis.

Thanks for responding.

LuckyL

wongpres said:
The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is available in the Mazda3 OEM 17-inch tire size and is more cost effective than the Pilot Sport A/S, so this is another option if going with Michelin.

I talked to a Tire Rack rep yesterday - he was very helpful. He talked about the Exaltos but then asked me if ride or handling was more important. Upon my "handling" answer, he said that Pilots are a better choice.

Thanks for responding.

LuckyL

bbrich57 said:
I had some experience years ago with Avons on a Volvo I used to own. I was not impressed. They were soft and didn't handle well, and after about 18 months began to develop dry rot (cracks.) This is enough for me to think twice about purchasing them again. But who knows, things change. I would say that you get what you pay for but at times have found this to not always be the case.. especially these days. Sometimes, in todays market all your paying for is hype and advertising (e.g. Goodyears.)
Tires are a hard one, because usually you can't take them back if you don't like them. In the end it's nothing but a crap shoot, but nearly anything would surly be better than these Goodyears. I too will be up against this same decision before too long and haven't been able to make up my mind either.

Good Luck!

I'm leaning towards the Avons - like you say, it's all just a crap shoot - so why not save the money. They are bound to be better than what I've got. Strapping roadkill to my wheels would probably be better...

The Tire Rack rep said the two tires I'm looking at are very comparable and, if he were in my shoes, he'd go with the Avons. This despite the fact he probably makes more commission on the more expensive tire.

I'll report back with my final decision and the results of the change.

Thanks for responding.

LuckyL

traitorhound said:
no option for a summer/ winter rim combo?

The Goodyears are almost as crappy handling in summer rain as they in winter snow. I don't want to buy two sets so looking for the best option I can for better handling year round.

Thanks.

LuckyL

tsunami said:

Everything I've heard about Pirelli is that they have major sidewall issues. I wouldn't risk it.

tsunami said:
I don't know about the side wall issues, but I have to agree with GW.
Pirelli tires have had dry rot problems for years too. If you're running them on a Porsche 911 chances are they won't last long enough for anyone to worry about this. But in the real world, with less than exotic cars, this could become an issue in short order.

Read some of the reviews on Tire Rack. That's about as unbiased as you can get.

goldwing2000 said:
Read some of the reviews on Tire Rack. That's about as unbiased as you can get.
Overall I agree with you that it is a good general source, but very unscientific. The problem with doing what you suggest is that not everyone who rates a tire on TR's site drives a "3" or even a Mazda. Many reviewers there have no common ground to get a base from. As I'm sure you are fully aware GW, that different vehicles react to the same tire differently.
Though it isn't scientific either, I'd rather hear the experiences from my fellow brothers and sisters in the "3" community. (thumb)

bbrich57 said:
Overall I agree with you that it is a good general source, but very unscientific. The problem with doing what you suggest is that not everyone who rates a tire on TR's site drives a "3" or even a Mazda. Many reviewers there have no common ground to get a base from. As I'm sure you are fully aware GW, that different vehicles react to the same tire differently. Though it isn't scientific either, I'd rather hear the experiences from my fellow brothers and sisters in the "3" community. (thumb)

Yep. No argument from me. If you want vehicle-specific data, then this is as good a place as any. Tire rack is good to get tire information that won't change much with vehicle. Things like weak sidewalls, poor treadwear, substandard rubber quality... you get the idea.

Time will tell...

I had the Avons installed yesterday. I'll soon see how they handle.

No snow here right now but it's plenty cold (-11 this morning) and cold pavement was enough to cause the crap Goodyears to break loose. I've only driven 10 miles on the Avons so far but will have a chance to test them a bit tomorrow. (Too cold to go anywhere today.)

I did pay attention to the fact that many more Tire Rack customers had rated the Michelins - and more had experienced them on the M3 - but decided to take a chance (and be the only one on my block with Avons).

My Tire Rack experience was excellent - good sales rep - seemed willing to express his opinion and he didn't push me to the more expensive Michelins though it was probably in his best interest to do so.

Plus TR was really fast. I ordered the tires Thursday afternoon and had them shipped directly to one of their preferred service providers that happens to be a block from where I work. The service provider called me at 9 am Friday to say he had them. I had my car back with new tires in less than 24 hours from my order. Amazing.

I'll report back on handling...

A Blow To the Empire. A "Victory" For the Rest of Us.

I feel GOOD!! (first)

This has been bothering me for a while, as I can tell many of you have the same issues as I do.
Today I decided to find GoodYears website and let them know just how we all seem to feel. As the message I sent states, I contacted Mazda several weeks ago.
Here's the message I sent to them. I hope you all approve and enjoy reading it.

Message to GoodYear:
I own a Mazda3 with OEM Eagle RSA's. I have already spoken my piece to Mazda USA, now it's your turn.
My questions are, how did GY get an All Season rating on these things? And second, how can they be called "High Performance" tires?
To say that I am an unhappy customer would be to put it mildly... and I know many others who feel the same way.
These things are dangerous in anything but absolutely dry conditions! Even on rainy roads, it doesn't matter how little or how much rain, I slip and slide all over the place when starting out and when turning. If my car didn't have ABS, I'd probably be in trouble when braking too.
I don't know a single "3" owner, or anyone else for that matter, that thinks they'll replace them with the same tire. In fact, one person I speak to put it like this, "I'd be better off strapping road-kill on my rims!"
AND, GY has the audacity to retail them at $243.00 ea. BEFORE mounting and balancing?

GY rates these a "9" for WET traction? GY rates these an "8" for SNOW traction? GY rates these an "8" for noise? You've got to be kidding us all, right?

I'll post again if I actually get a reply to this message, but I doubt it.

Have you driven your spouse's car in the snow? If so, how did you like the Michelins? When it comes to tires, remember you have to get them anyhow, and the extra cost is spread over the life of the tires. Even $150-$200 diff isn't that much in the long run. My son had pirelli PZero's on his Z-34 and loved them in snow and rain.

The ultimate complement

bbrich57 said:
I feel GOOD!! (first)

This has been bothering me for a while, as I can tell many of you have the same issues as I do.
Today I decided to find GoodYears website and let them know just how we all seem to feel. As the message I sent states, I contacted Mazda several weeks ago.
Here's the message I sent to them. I hope you all approve and enjoy reading it.

Message to GoodYear:
I own a Mazda3 with OEM Eagle RSA's. I have already spoken my piece to Mazda USA, now it's your turn.
My questions are, how did GY get an All Season rating on these things? And second, how can they be called "High Performance" tires?
To say that I am an unhappy customer would be to put it mildly... and I know many others who feel the same way.
These things are dangerous in anything but absolutely dry conditions! Even on rainy roads, it doesn't matter how little or how much rain, I slip and slide all over the place when starting out and when turning. If my car didn't have ABS, I'd probably be in trouble when braking too.
I don't know a single "3" owner, or anyone else for that matter, that thinks they'll replace them with the same tire. In fact, one person I speak to put it like this, "I'd be better off strapping road-kill on my rims!"
AND, GY has the audacity to retail them at $243.00 ea. BEFORE mounting and balancing?

GY rates these a "9" for WET traction? GY rates these an "8" for SNOW traction? GY rates these an "8" for noise? You've got to be kidding us all, right?

I'll post again if I actually get a reply to this message, but I doubt it.

I too have have complained to Mazda USA through the Service Manager where I purchased my 3. To no avail, of course. When he let me know there would be no assistance from Mazda USA or the dealership, I told him that I hadn't really expected any but at least wanted the message to get through that Mazda was doing a disservice to its customers by putting tires on the 3 that are terrible at best and down right dangerous in many conditions. Furthermore, how can we expect Goodyear to stop manufacturing and selling (and profitting from) these awful tires if Mazda (and apparently Ford among other manufacturers) continue to support them through their mass purchases? And if they are paying anywhere near what they charge the general public, these car manfuacturers are getting ripped off big time as well.

I'm glad to know the message is coming from others as well.

I'll be very interested to hear if you get a response from Goodyear. And by the way, I was very pleased to see my "roadkill" description included in your remarks to them. Thanks!

One week with the Avons

3+5 said:
Have you driven your spouse's car in the snow? If so, how did you like the Michelins? When it comes to tires, remember you have to get them anyhow, and the extra cost is spread over the life of the tires. Even $150-$200 diff isn't that much in the long run. My son had pirelli PZero's on his Z-34 and loved them in snow and rain.

Funny thing about the Michelins... this is the second set purchsed for the Acura. When they get worn, they are really crappy (this according to the spouse during the Avon or Michelin discussion). The Michelins on it now are pretty new so still handling well.

Fortunately for me (saddled with the Goodyears until last week), we haven't had any snow to speak of this year - just a couple of big dumpings followed by quick melts. The Michelins did much better than the Goodyears but that's like saying this beef steak tastes better than rat meat.

After one week of dry and sunny, not particulary cold weather driving, the Avons are performing well.

Time will tell...

Back