New Thule Fairing Installed

rtalain

Just installed a Thule Fairing on my 5. Contrary to Thule's website, which recommends a 38" fairing, I went with a 44" fairing and I like the way it fills the space a lot better. The 38" just seemed small for the vehicle. Of course, as everyone probably knows, using a fairing renders your sunroof useless, but I don't use it anyway so it's no big deal for me; for most, this may be a deal breaker.

Anyway, it's a new style fairing for Thule, part of the XT series (872XT in this case), which has a different mounting method from previous versions. Basically, there are clips that snap onto the bar, then the fairing simply clicks in without any hardware. In other words, I can remove my fairing in literally 5 seconds (unfortunately, so can somebody else) and re-install in about 10 seconds. The mounting clips that remain on the bar are very discrete. The other bonus is that all of the little pads sit on the sunroof (barely), so the fairing doesn't come in contact with the paint at all.

Here's some pics, sorry for the camera phone shots but I'm at work.

Attachments

• IMAGE_017.jpg
    IMAGE_017.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,652
  • IMAGE_015.jpg
    IMAGE_015.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMAGE_016.jpg
    IMAGE_016.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,194
Just installed a Thule Fairing on my 5. Contrary to Thule's website, which recommends a 38" fairing, I went with a 44" fairing and I like the way it fills the space a lot better. The 38" just seemed small for the vehicle. Of course, as everyone probably knows, using a fairing renders your sunroof useless, but I don't use it anyway so it's no big deal for me; for most, this may be a deal breaker.

Anyway, it's a new style fairing for Thule, part of the XT series (872XT in this case), which has a different mounting method from previous versions. Basically, there are clips that snap onto the bar, then the fairing simply clicks in without any hardware. In other words, I can remove my fairing in literally 5 seconds (unfortunately, so can somebody else) and re-install in about 10 seconds. The mounting clips that remain on the bar are very discrete. The other bonus is that all of the little pads sit on the sunroof (barely), so the fairing doesn't come in contact with the paint at all.

Here's some pics, sorry for the camera phone shots but I'm at work.

Looks good.
I've got one of those on my Mazda5, but I also have the wind deflector for the sunroof. So the base of the fairing rests on the deflector and allows me to use the sunroof if I need to.
The fairing is great in that it does really help with the wind noise.
Anthony

Looking good!

+1, even with the box installed. My wife even asked if the damn cargo box had flown away during a long trip as she coudn't hear $h!t :D

Talking about your sunroof..

Hey Rtalain,

You are saying that you don't use your sunroof at all... The opposite of me! As soon as I'm in the van, sunroof must be open!

Although... I bought this wind deflector from Mazda (at the dealership) and it's unbelievable how useless it is, once you're in the van... Wow...

You have about 4" left to see outside.... The rest is the wind deflector blocking the view, and the fact that the window itself does not open totally... That's a really bad thing for the M-5....

A friend of mine has a Subaru Forester 2007 and its not a sunroof... It's a MOONROOF!!! Wow.. From your front seats to the back seats... That's what I call a real one.

Being a fan of sunroofs, I would really appreciate if Mazda could make it a bit wider and a bit longer....

Hey Rtalain,
Although... I bought this wind deflector from Mazda (at the dealership) and it's unbelievable how useless it is, once you're in the van... Wow...

You have about 4" left to see outside.... The rest is the wind deflector blocking the view, and the fact that the window itself does not open totally... That's a really bad thing for the M-5....

I've always wondered about those wind deflectors. I know they're a pretty popular accessory, but one of the reasons I don't use my sunroof is it doesn't really let in a lot of breeze, just a lot of sun (which doesn't agree with my pale-skinned wife). Also, I have an aversion to sticking anything adhesive on the paint, but that's just a personal feeling.

Oh, and I agree that the sunroof is kinda small for a decent sized roof. If it slid back INTO the roof, it would be a bigger opening, but keeping the sunroof on the outside definitely keeps it from maximizing the sunroof opening.

Sunroof

Rtalain,

Although, my wind deflector is not using any kind of tape to stay in place. It uses two small brackets that connects inside the roof and does not affect any of the sealant. I never seen one drop of water inside the van.

As for the fact that the sunroof should slide inside the roof, I have to say that the look it gives by sliding out of the car, is pretty nice. I guess one of the first cars that did that, was the Civic SI and the Pontiac Grand-Am GT and I remember looking at the car and say: Wow!! A 100 times better than sticking inside the roof!

Anyways... I guess we could go on and on! Tastes are different for everyone! I respect your opinion, buddy!

Cheers,

Jasma.

Rtalain,

Although, my wind deflector is not using any kind of tape to stay in place. It uses two small brackets that connects inside the roof and does not affect any of the sealant. I never seen one drop of water inside the van.

As for the fact that the sunroof should slide inside the roof, I have to say that the look it gives by sliding out of the car, is pretty nice. I guess one of the first cars that did that, was the Civic SI and the Pontiac Grand-Am GT and I remember looking at the car and say: Wow!! A 100 times better than sticking inside the roof!

Anyways... I guess we could go on and on! Tastes are different for everyone! I respect your opinion, buddy!

Cheers,

Jasma.

the RX7 did as well and it was done in such a way that it added downforce to the rear end... was a supposedly designed bonus.

How badly is the mileage on the hwy affected by the rack?

How badly is the mileage on the hwy affected by the rack?

I have not seen a radical impact compared to my 06 or before I installed the rack on my 08, but maybe 0.2-0.3 MPG? Oh, and the fairing obviously helps a little.

Can you post a pic of it resting on the deflector?

Looks good.
I've got one of those on my Mazda5, but I also have the wind deflector for the sunroof. So the base of the fairing rests on the deflector and allows me to use the sunroof if I need to.
Anthony

I have the same thing and am skeptical of resting the fairing on the deflector. Doesn't it look funny or get flipped up by the wind?

I have the same thing and am skeptical of resting the fairing on the deflector. Doesn't it look funny or get flipped up by the wind?

It may look a little different resting on the deflector but it doesn't seem to affect the fairing as the wind noise is really reduced. It doesn't get flipped up either. Unfortunately I'm in Toronto until July 19th and the car is in Calgary so I'll try to post some pics when I get back to home base.
Anthony

Anthony-
Any luck with those pics of the fairing on the deflector? It looks like it would hang off on the edges (assuming it is the Thule fairing) - does that cause any fluttering or other?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry for not getting back to you man....I took off the racks a few weeks ago but will reinstall them tomorrow as I plan to do some biking this weekend. I'll send you the photos by the end of the week.
Anthony

Here are some pics of the Thule fairing resting on the moonroof deflector.
I haven't had any problems with this configuration.
Rgrds,
Anthony

Attachments

• IMGP3838.JPG
    IMGP3838.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMGP3837.JPG
    IMGP3837.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 860
  • IMGP3836.JPG
    IMGP3836.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 911
  • IMGP3835.JPG
    IMGP3835.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 812
  • IMGP3840.JPG
    IMGP3840.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 724
Wow, that car looks clean and nicely lowered :D

Damn, off-topic...

I don't have moonroof but the only comment I would like to add is that the fairing is tightly attached to the roof rack bar so although it looks like fully resting either on the moonroof deflector or the roof, it is just barely touching it. So in other words, all of its support comes from the roof rack bar and is not easy to angle/tweak around unless the tightening screw mechanism is lose...

Wow, that car looks clean and nicely lowered :D

Damn, off-topic...

I don't have moonroof but the only comment I would like to add is that the fairing is tightly attached to the roof rack bar so although it looks like fully resting either on the moonroof deflector or the roof, it is just barely touching it. So in other words, all of its support comes from the roof rack bar and is not easy to angle/tweak around unless the tightening screw mechanism is lose...

Quite right....and the actual fairing is lightweight plastic....a few ounces at most.

Last edited:
Anthony-
Thanks for the pics - looks great on the car and I like how you still have use of the sunroof.
I have a Yakima on my Jetta and while the fairing eliminates roof rack noise it reverses the air flow over the sunroof making it a pretty buffetting breeze when open at speed - is this how your 5 is at speed with the roof open? Is that all Thule aftermarket system (vs the Mazda one made by Thule) - I was going to cross my Yakima rack over to the 5 with new Qclips , but I like really how your Thule uses the Mazda roof slots - my understanding is that Yakima does not use all four slots so it does not look as clean. :( Any experience with this?
Hope you get to ride this weekend - remember to keep the rubber side down.
Thanks,
Dave

Old post. I know I wouldn't be able to fully open the sunroof with the fairing on, but would I be able to tilt open the sun roof?

Love this thread. I actually just installed an Inno roof rack yesterday on my 2010 5 with a moonroof. My roof won't open either but now that I know that I need a wind deflector to make it work I'm all over it. Where did you guys get the wind deflector from?

Back