New T3 and Tial 38mm Wastegate

tcrawford97

:
'03 Mazdaspeed Protege Spicy Orange
okay so I just got the score of a lifetime, just got a brand new Garrett T3 50 trim a/r .63 turbo and 38mm Tial Wastegate for nothing. was gonna be taking my car to have it tuned with mostly stock stuff, but now with these new parts i am going to be looking at getting them fitted to my spicy! wanted some opinions on what supporting mods or parts would be best. HiBoost or Steedspeed mani, what size injectors, what plugs, and I believe the spring in the Tial is 5psi which i believe with the flow of the turbo would be enough, should i look at doing anything else to preserve drivetrain, also what kind of power would i be looking at with a good tune on my unichip? I am sure i will have a ton of questions as my new build progresses but also what kind of $$$ will i be looking at for overall investment, will prob have a total of $2K by he time I sell off some unwanted parts! anyone with knowledge or knowhow on this type of build would be awesome if they could share feedback with me...

This community is and always has been helpful with any questions ive had, look forward to this new quest with my car progressing

Get the Steedspeed T3 mani and the new DP from speedcircuit. Good combo, then have the unichip tuned to match.

Ive been looking at that same combo, will prob go that route the steedspeed mani, SC downpipe, 440cc injectors and Denso IK22's with new gaskets and studs all the way around, should i look at swapping for a higher flow fuel pump or is the stocker good for the kind of power the T3 will push out?

I am also waiting to sell some gauges i dont use anymore from another car and will prob sell the ones that are in my car now for the prosport premiums ( Oil Pressure, Boost, and AFR ) that downpipe will work perfect for data logging! I just picked up all the original parts that came off my car before going on the show circuit and will prob look at selling some of those like stock mani, struts/springs, original exhaust and maybe some other stuff i have laying around to fund this venture!!

im somewhat knowledgeable.
to start with, the t3 50 trim is almost identical sized to the OEM turbo. it spools slightly later and pulls better at redline, but its not the disco potato or a 3071r. id run 9-11psi on it with a good tune, a quality EBC, and mild timing control. if you want to use the unichip controller and solenoid, id keep it under 10psi since its prone to spiking.

for your shopping list...
get the stuff from speedcircuit... mani, downpipe at the least. straight water neck is nice but overpriced, you can usually make due with flipping the OEM water neck and getting a flex hose ($35 vs ~$100).
you should be fine with stock injectors until you get it up, running and tuned. i would throw the 440s in for the tune, and change to new 1 step colder plugs and coils if you can find them. fuel pump is unnecessary on most stock block builds, oil pump too... the DocB system is nice if you plan to autoX it and dont want to starve it.

you absolutely, positively, MUST get oil pressure and wideband gauges if you plan to swap your turbo. youd have to be very confident in yourself to not use oil pressure, but i guess you COULD make due without it (i didnt use one, so...). youll have to adjust your vac lines and intercooler piping, and youll probably need a different intake. if youre not on a relocated MAF, you may want to consider it. if youre on a journal bearing turbo, you MUST have a turbo timer, and fortunately you do.

so purchases. DP = 250, mani = 600. gauges = 250 (used), tune you need anyways... so youre at 850 to get it installed, and 1100 to get it installed right. throw in $150 for things like hoses, the water neck or flex hose, miscellaneous hardware, coils... you see where this is headed.

thanks yudkib for all the info, I know that I desperately need a tune, and have been waiting until I know that I am mostly done with mods that would require retune, I am definitely getting Boost/Oil Pressure/AFR gauges from prosport so that will be covered, I honestly have no idea what the true specs of the turbo are, as i said in OP I got it for free along with the new EWG. will for sure get new plugs (IK22) and 440cc injectors. anything else i should address while the car is down. I have been looking at motor mounts (AWR) thinking maybe just do it since I might have some extra money, and cant wait to have the steedspeed mani since I have had my thunder V2 on for maybe 4 months and it already has hella cracks behind the runners (SO PISSED) but I was warned not to go cheap, and now I am paying for it. so your thinking a good $1500 and I will be sitting good?

I know that the internal spring on the Tial Wastegate is set at .5 bar which i think is 7psi, that should be comparable to the T25 with ATP 8psi WGA right?

engine has around 40k miles on it, should I do any other preventative maintainance on it to accept possibly more HP?

what are my options on new air intake since the inlet on the turbo is much bigger than stock turbo, should I go with all new cold side piping, and my MAF is between filter and turbo inlet, all hard piping has been powdercoated so that would suck, but oh well?!

should get this project under way in the next few weeks, just waiting on some final parts to come in, cant wait, should be awesome!!!

I know this is the wrong thread to do this in, but if anyone is looking for stock parts, let me know, I have a ton ( full suspension, exhaust, air box, etc.)

Tim C.
386-747-6387

well, i dont know what hardpiping youre using for the intercooler, but as long as theres a 4-6" long straight section that comes after the bov and before the TB you can move your MAF there -- and i would take the time to do so now since you have to replace the intake anyways.

if your BOV is on the hotpipe, you just cut out and remove a section of the coldpipe thats about as long as the MAF, and get the couplers to fit it. install with the arrow pointing the right direction, boom, done.
if your BOV is on the coldpipe, like i said, you need a section of straight pipe after the BOV and before the throttle body. you should have the MAF a good 3" after the BOV and a good 3" before the TB, but ideally those numbers are both closer to 6".

for the intake, you could probably buy kooldino's if it looks like it wont get in the way of your current IC piping setup (though be prepared to pay for the privilege), or you can eyeball what you need and order some mandrel bent piping and couplers in the correct size. get a filter, and cut everything to fit. if you have an exhaust shop near you, they might be willing to cut the piping for a small fee so you get clean cuts. not everyone will cut aluminum though, it wears on the friction cutting discs differently.

wastegate pressure should be good to start with, but if you want to get it tuned for a higher boost, be sure to set the unichip when you go. like i said, i wouldnt set it above 10psi.

nothing you can do to the engine will increase its HP handling capacity with the budget you have. only option is straight forged which is way more than $500.

and just wondering, why are you going with the IK22's instead of the more common NGK's?

Back