New Style rear bumper sill?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
I've been looking for a rear bumper sill to put on the back of my CX-5. The OEM one seems very small and almost useless to me. There's several options up on ebay, I've looked at the ones that are just a rubber strip but those don't seem to be the greatest quality, the other ones I've thought of doing are the stainless ones that extend over the edge of the bumper. Problem with those is they are a brushed or polished silver and I'd prefer black, I'm thinking of painting one and seeing if that works. In my continued search I came across this one the other day and don't know how I feel about it. What are your guys thoughts? Do you think it would look good or is the chrome strip too much back there and I should just paint the simple metal one?

attachment.php

Way too much bling for my taste. Here's what I'd do if faced with this issue again (it's not what I ended up doing for my car, but after the fact, I thought it might have been a better alternative). I've seen lots of SUVs and crossovers with very attractive and functional black vinyl bumper covers straight from the factory. It occurred to me that all of these bumpers are very similar in size and shape and that one might find a nice looking one on a competing brand, take some measurements to make sure it would fit the CX-5 and order it as a replacement part online or from a local dealer.

I thought of doing that as well. Problem is finding one that is the right length and has the right curvature to match the rear bumper. Trial and error could get really expensive really quick doing that. I wish there was someone who had access to different bumper protectors to test fit and report back

I thought of doing that as well. Problem is finding one that is the right length and has the right curvature to match the rear bumper. Trial and error could get really expensive really quick doing that. I wish there was someone who had access to different bumper protectors to test fit and report back
Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to me. Make an appropriately sized cardboard template of the area on the CX-5 bumper you want to cover and check it against a few OE bumper covers you like. They are no doubt available with double-sided tape backing for body shop application.

And where would I find these oe bumper covers? Just drive around to different dealers and see if they have something in stock

I've noticed covers that might work just sitting in traffic or in my daily travels. Use your imagination. Or just settle for what you showed in post #1!

I've been looking for a rear bumper sill to put on the back of my CX-5. The OEM one seems very small and almost useless to me. There's several options up on ebay, I've looked at the ones that are just a rubber strip but those don't seem to be the greatest quality, the other ones I've thought of doing are the stainless ones that extend over the edge of the bumper. Problem with those is they are a brushed or polished silver and I'd prefer black, I'm thinking of painting one and seeing if that works. In my continued search I came across this one the other day and don't know how I feel about it. What are your guys thoughts? Do you think it would look good or is the chrome strip too much back there and I should just paint the simple metal one?

attachment.php

I like it, my '15 GT came with the OEM one you don't like and honestly it didn't offer the protection the one you posted does. Where did you find it, and hopefully they will offer something for the '16/'17 CX-9 which is on the top 3 of my purchase list next year.

Did research when I first got the car, couldn't bring myself to install any of the available options due to lack of protection or ugliness. Ended up just getting XPEL Ultimate film installed over the bumper. Not a true scuff plate, but at least it's self-healing? :-\

Where did you find the sill I like it. Was about to order one but I like this better

My '16 GT came from the dealer with the OEM guard already installed, but I'm not particularly fond of it. The rounded lines don't visually fit the car well in my opinion, and it has limited protective aspects given how small it is/where it sits--my previous 2010 Mazda6 had the OEM guard, and that overlapped the back edge of the bumper which helped prevent damage from, for example, heavier things like suitcases as you brought them out of the trunk.

I had bought the aftermarket inner guards included in this picture from Amazon...a bit sharp/unfinished on the edges, but fit well enough and covered up what were increasing scratches on that part of the back gate area. There is a matching bumper guard also shown in this same photo, and I like the visual design better than the OEM. Not a fan of the CX-5 logo, but otherwise, it just appeals to me. No idea how well it fits on the car, but it appears to also slightly overlap the bumper edge just like the OEM one did on my 6. Perhaps eventually I will get it to replace the one on my CX-5, but I know what a pain removing these things can be as I had to replace the one on my 6 after someone accidentally hooked it and bent it upwards. The adhesive is a bear, even with fishing line/piano wire.

61JNSbyIRmL._SX425_.jpg

My '16 GT came from the dealer with the OEM guard already installed, but I'm not particularly fond of it. The rounded lines don't visually fit the car well in my opinion, and it has limited protective aspects given how small it is/where it sits--my previous 2010 Mazda6 had the OEM guard, and that overlapped the back edge of the bumper which helped prevent damage from, for example, heavier things like suitcases as you brought them out of the trunk.

I had bought the aftermarket inner guards included in this picture from Amazon...a bit sharp/unfinished on the edges, but fit well enough and covered up what were increasing scratches on that part of the back gate area. There is a matching bumper guard also shown in this same photo, and I like the visual design better than the OEM. Not a fan of the CX-5 logo, but otherwise, it just appeals to me. No idea how well it fits on the car, but it appears to also slightly overlap the bumper edge just like the OEM one did on my 6. Perhaps eventually I will get it to replace the one on my CX-5, but I know what a pain removing these things can be as I had to replace the one on my 6 after someone accidentally hooked it and bent it upwards. The adhesive is a bear, even with fishing line/piano wire.

View attachment 213961

I'm between the one that you posted and the one that I posted. I don't know if I like the plastic one at the top of the page, it may be too much. I think I might end up getting the one that you pictured and painting it black when I paint the side rails of my roof rack. It's either that or getting the plastic one and trying to paint the chrome sections in it. Maybe leave them if it's not to bad. I'm so undecided on these things it hurts. I wish I could just find a decent one from another car that fits and is inexpensive. The problem is finding one that is the right length and right curvature to match the CX-5 bumper.

Ride92, I think the design of the one I posted painted black would look awesome on your vehicle based on your member photo. Then again, the one you posted painted black would also look great--I particularly like how the shape of the guard works with the back end of the vehicle. I have the same trouble as you sometimes in trying to figure out what will and won't work, and to be honest, it isn't rare for me to eventually abandon an accessory or mod for a replacement after realizing that perhaps it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Sometimes that "eventually" is only three days out. (shrug)

View attachment 213961

I have that exact bumper guard, and it is a perfect fit. I have had it on for a year and a half without any issues. No rusting or discoloration, and has great coverage over the top of the bumper and the small lip. The edges are also as smooth as could be. I had the OEM bumper guard and removed it for that aftermarket one. Couldn't be happier.

I have that exact bumper guard, and it is a perfect fit. I have had it on for a year and a half without any issues. No rusting or discoloration, and has great coverage over the top of the bumper and the small lip. The edges are also as smooth as could be. I had the OEM bumper guard and removed it for that aftermarket one. Couldn't be happier.

Where did you order yours from?

I'm thinking of getting mine from Aliexpress

Where did you order yours from?

I'm thinking of getting mine from Aliexpress

Yes, I got mine from Aliexpress. Make sure you search well for the cheapest price, a lot of sellers have the exact same item for wildly different prices.

Here is a pic of mine installed:

rearbumperprotector_zps1mzd7otq.jpg

Looks great, SomeGuyFromNYC! The CX-5 logo isn't as obnoxiously obvious as I assumed.

Hmmmm.....may need to replace the OEM one sooner than later. ;)

Yes, I got mine from Aliexpress. Make sure you search well for the cheapest price, a lot of sellers have the exact same item for wildly different prices.

Do you have a link to the seller that you used? Does Aliexpress except paypal? I've been looking on there and some of the listings are a bit fishy looking. If you look at the pictures they will show two different rear bumper sills in the pictures, one like you have and one that is much cheaper looking with either no CX-5 logo or the little ribs run right into the CX-5 logo which doesn't look good. I have funds in paypal so I might just go thru ebay to get mine.

Looks great, SomeGuyFromNYC! The CX-5 logo isn't as obnoxiously obvious as I assumed.

Hmmmm.....may need to replace the OEM one sooner than later. ;)

Good luck, it was EXTREMELY difficult to remove the OEM bumper guard. I used a ton of Goo Gone and floss. The floss kept breaking, it was very frustrating. I would suggest using fishing line if you have, and use a sawing motion while holding the fishing line at a 45 degree angle.

Do you have a link to the seller that you used? Does Aliexpress except paypal? I've been looking on there and some of the listings are a bit fishy looking. If you look at the pictures they will show two different rear bumper sills in the pictures, one like you have and one that is much cheaper looking with either no CX-5 logo or the little ribs run right into the CX-5 logo which doesn't look good. I have funds in paypal so I might just go thru ebay to get mine.

The seller I bought from no longer exists. I paid with a credit card, not sure if they take paypal. Also, the one in the picture when I bought it, had the ribs going through the CX-5 logo. When it arrived, it was without the ribs going through. To me, either was fine, so no big deal.

I'm seriously thinking of getting this and getting it spay painted it black. Thanks for sharing

Back