new P5 owner

jolimojo

hey everyone!

i'm a new Mazda Protege5 owner and also new to this forum... and so far i'm loving both! :D

I am moving to this car from owning a 2001 toyota corolla S (which was my first car) because I was rear-ended by a jeep at a light in stop-go speed. it crumpled the trunk, bumper, passenger side light, and rippled the passenger side quarter panel. insurance totaled it, but is still completely driveable. I have always wanted a hatchback and this seemed like the perfect one as soon as I saw one at this used car dealer... i test drove it and decided that this car was for me. I ended up looking at/test driving about 3 others before i bought one from a private owner. It's a tad rough around the edges, but not bad at all.

so just a little bit of info on my P5:

-just about to roll over to 169k
-it's a silver 2002 with the triptronic auto
-previous owner has had the following done within the past 500 miles: timing belt, struts, brakes, tires. all brand new.
-a bit dirty but drives very well! (am looking for time to detail properly)
-just did an oil change and drained the fluid from the transmission pan (which is only like 1/3 of the total fluid in there, correct?) because it is brown and probably no good, even though the shifting isn't harsh or anything, i still want new fluid in there.

so with all of that, i have a few questions on some small things i have noticed already...

1. when the car is just idling and you step on the gas a little (in any gear) it will give a sort of whirring/winding/rubbing sound up till about 2500 RPM, it doesn't seem to affect the performance at all, but it is a sound I definitely don't like. It is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, around where the accessory belt/timing belt is. could it maybe be one of the parts going out that is connected to the accessory belt? It's not a screeching like a loose belt, but I'm prone to think that one of the belts is kinda rubbing on something...? but i can't tell what exactly... does anyone else have this with their P5? any help on finding the suspect part(s) would be very helpful! and i could try to do a video of it, if i can, how do i embed it?

2. I've had this constant CEL on, I got the code checked (i forgot the number code but i will write in again when i find the paper for the code readout) but i think it said it was a malfunction of the IMCC valve circuit....? or something like that I have no idea what that is, haha! once again, it doesn't seem to affect performance.

3. At lower speeds there is a screech coming from the driver side brake. I took the wheel off and found what was making the constant screech: it's the shim holding the brake pad it, almost like it comes out to far, and is just dragging on the rotor full time. It still seems to brake normally, and the rotor doesn't look scored or anything, but it is uber annoying. do i need to replace pads and shims? the pads are pretty much brand new, so would just some lube on the contact points help it seat better or something...? again, help on this is appreciated!

and that's all i have for now... I'm still busy searching through all the information this forum has to offer, looks like a good place to be! :D

Welcome aboard. Yes, draining the at pan is about 1/3 of the fluid. It and the torque converter hold about 9 quarts. I would not recommend a tranny flush with the mileage you have with a machine at a shop as people have had problems afterwards due to it flushing crap back thru the tranny. There is a DIY procedure where you drain, fill, turn car on for a minute while it pushes more out, then refill & repeat that a coupla times til fresh fluid starts showing coming out the hot line into whatever you are catching the fluid in. I would suggest Hayden Transaver stacked plate atf cooler to help out the tranny and some AMSOIL syn at fluid. It lasts longer and also helps keep temps down. The atf cooler is cheap 50.00 insurance for your tranny. 2 gal jug of the AMSOIL atf will run you about 100.00. Worth it IMO. The fluid life is supposed to be twice the change intervals although I haven't quite gone that far before changing it out.

1. Could be the alternator. Listen under hood while someone else revs it to check it out. Make sure operating temps are normal to make sure water pump isn't making the noise too. Shim should be mostly flat and the edge shouldn't be long enough to extend past the back plate of the pad to be able to touch rotor.

2. Write it down, post back up.

3. Check out the installation. Make sure it's not the spring clip in between the pads. If not, it may actually be the warning thing on the brake pad. I always break those off when doing brake job if they have them.

Last edited:
For the engine whirring noise - it is the timing belt rubbing on the cover. It is easy to get the cover not-quite-right and it contacts the belt.

It will finish wearing a new pattern soon and stop the noise. If it doesn't - remove and re-install the timing belt cover...

haha! i figured the noise was something over there by the belts, thank you P-funk, i will look into that. is there a DIY or something to help me get that cover off? do i need specific torque specs for it or anything? cuz i don't have a torque wrench...

as for the brake squeal: when i took off the wheel, i could see the metal piece that was rubbing, it's not the metal tab that warns you when the pads are low, it's the actual shim the pads themselves fit into, almost like it's coming out too far past the pad. however, i couldn't look at it in any more depth cuz at the time, i didn't have an allen wrench big enough to open the caliper area and get the pads out. i wonder if i took the time to just take the assembly apart a little bit, that i could fit it on better and not have it rub? but i'll need to find a spare moment to do that.

oh... i forgot about the engine codes, i'll try posting sometime tomorrow evening when i should be free.

and thanks everyone for the welcome :)

ok so i was able to go and get the code numbers for the CEL, they are as follows:

P0660: IMCC actuator circuit malfunction
Probable cause:
-open or short circuit condition
-Poor electrical connection
-Binding control valve actuator
-Failed IMcc

P0421: Warm up catalyst system (RH) efficiency below threshold
Probable cause:
-Exhaust leak
-Check other service codes first
-Faulty catalytic converter

that ^ diagnostic came from the auto parts place.... and the guy that did it said he didn't know what the IMCC is. however, after doing a quick google search, i can't find that part for a P5! i don't know if i'm just not looking in the right place or what ... so i am kinda stumped as to what to do, and i'm inclined to believe that the 0660 code flipped the 0421 code too.

and after looking at what it takes to get the timing cover off... i'm not sure i want to go through taking the belts off, unless i find a good DIY or something and a day to do it.

P0660 is the Vic's solenoid find them at the junkyard or dealership but that won't make the cel come on. This means you precat is bad you can spend a couple hundred to replace it or spend 100 on a header to delete it and get more power or do like me and spend $10 on a non fouler.

There is a how to for the timing. Belt all you should have to do is pull the valve cover though

ok... so could i get one like this and just unbolt the old one then just bolt up this new one?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

as for the VIC solenoid.. where would i find (in the engine bay) that and how do i uninstall/install for the new one?

and i noticed the valve cover gasket is kinda peeling/chipping off in places where the cover meets the block, does that mean it's bad? and should i just order a new gasket when i pull the cover and replace it then? (also a DIY for that anywhere...?)

sorry about all the questions... I would just like to get everything done myself with all the knowledge i can get. So i appreciate any extra help! :D

Yes that header and a non fouler and you'll be set.

Valve cover is easy pull all the bolts up and pull the cover up really simple.

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and well, to forums in general. I did take the liberty of going through all your 'new member' info...thought it was pretty funny myself! So in light of that information I just going to ask if someone can point me in the right direction so I don't go posting where I don't need to be posting!

I have an '02 with 130,000 miles on it. 5 speed. It needs a tune up but the timing belt and all the basics have been changed and maintained. I was wondering how to best take advantage of the time and effort i would be putting into a tune up by asking you guys what these cars typically need for good performance? I know that is a very general question (which you are supposed to avoid according to the new user video) but i wanted to make sure i was in the right spot before ranting too much!

Thank you all for your time! you all seem to be a welcoming and helpful bunch compared to some of the other places I've been browsing!

Back