New P. E. P/Pope Downpipe and turbo manifolds.

typical price for used steed speed is $5-$600. make sure your getting the t25 stock replacement with egr as he does make one for t3 with no egr and turbo relocation.

no other way to say it though. you got in at a bad time with the exchange.. part of the reason my msp is going in storage is the current exchange.. ill easily spend $10000 cdn just to refresh it heh.

Still have any down pipes left over from the last batch? I'm interested in one for under 370

just pay pope $425 :p order on his website.

btw any suggestion on cat ?

searched the magnaflow site and found their suggested cat for 03 protege # 99004HM(Heavy metal) or 51004(OEM)

searched under cat selection i found 94006 (2.5"in/outlet) (linked to the magnaflow site)

and 99006HM(Heavy metal)

or should i go with 3" 99009HM? (3" DP, 3"cat, 3to2.5" adapter after cat, 2.5" MeganRacing catback)

will these work?( 94006 $78CAD and 99006HM $134 99009HM $117)

btw should i get the one with O2 sensor port? or weld one on the tube? or delete (dont want any engine code lol)

99036HM 99039HM

Last edited:
btw any suggestion on cat ?

I would go three inch cat and reduce after.

Still have any down pipes left over from the last batch? I'm interested in one for under 370

I've got pipes left, if you pick it up, don't want the thermostat spacer, and pay cash instead of card or paypal we're getting close to $370, but those would be the only discounts. btw - Even if you think you don't want the thermostat spacer you do want the thermostat spacer.

I guess im just a little hesitant because i don't know how much just the down pipe is going to help for 400ish id have to use papal credit if it allows me. what should i expect from it. ive found that an exhaust shop really cant make a good down pipe?

I guess im just a little hesitant because i don't know how much just the down pipe is going to help for 400ish id have to use papal credit if it allows me. what should i expect from it. ive found that an exhaust shop really cant make a good down pipe?

Each modification done to a car is complementary. A larger downpipe will certainly help a turbocharged car breathe better (Pope's downpipe is huge compared to the stock s-pipe), but it works much more efficiently in tandem with a higher-flowing/less-restrictive intake manifold, exhaust manifold, exhaust, intake, etc.

EDIT: Forgot the second part of my thought. Which is: it isn't necessarily about the biggest impact you'll see/feel from installing a single part but rather where you are at in the modification plan of action for your car. It's best to develop a list of parts that work well together and also serve your needs/driving habits.

Last edited:
so in your opinion would the stock call away exhaust Mani and 3 inch(pope) down pipe back exhaust yield noticeable gains i don't want the callaway to choke the airflow to the down pipe if i do that modification i also have a vtcs/vics delete intake Mani what do y'all think. i can use a relay to stop the codes and pass emissions, but how bad is cold start?

The Callaway manifold will eventually crack and/or warp. If it's not in your price range now, I'd recommend saving for both the downpipe and the manifold from Tom.

You will pass emissions without VICS and VTCS. Plug the harness into the solenoids but don't connect the solenoids to any vacuum source, and you won't throw any codes (provided the solenoids are good--both of mine have gone out at least once).

The MSP is an OBD-II car. Most shops won't shove a sniffer (or even do a visual beyond the safety items) into your tailpipe and will simply hook up the OBD-II scanner. I'm not sure how closely Louisiana inspection procedure follows Texas, though.

Are you running a midpipe with a catalytic converter or are you catless?

The Callaway manifold will eventually crack and/or warp. If it's not in your price range now, I'd recommend saving for both the downpipe and the manifold from Tom.

You will pass emissions without VICS and VTCS. Plug the harness into the solenoids but don't connect the solenoids to any vacuum source, and you won't throw any codes (provided the solenoids are good--both of mine have gone out at least once).

The MSP is an OBD-II car. Most shops won't shove a sniffer (or even do a visual beyond the safety items) into your tailpipe and will simply hook up the OBD-II scanner. I'm not sure how closely Louisiana inspection procedure follows Texas, though.

Are you running a mid pipe with a catalytic converter or are you catless?

my call-away mani is in great shape no cracks at all(i have seen a lot of cracked ones) i wanted to get a down pipe then have 3inch welded to the back with a high flow cat and a cut open so i can keep my stock muffler or ill just get a vibrant muffler i can afford a down pipe tho at 400 even for it if hed do that but that is strictly his decision and currently Louisiana doesn't have emissions aside from new Orleans and baton rouge but i think its on the way

what about O2 sensor port ?

I would get the O2 bung, you'll need one anyway.

my call-away mani is in great shape no cracks at all(i have seen a lot of cracked ones) i wanted to get a down pipe then have 3inch welded to the back with a high flow cat and a cut open so i can keep my stock muffler or ill just get a vibrant muffler i can afford a down pipe tho at 400 even for it if hed do that but that is strictly his decision and currently Louisiana doesn't have emissions aside from new Orleans and baton rouge but i think its on the way

At $400 you might be able to come up with a used pipe, but you'll have to kick in $25 more to get a new one.

if you can afford $400.... you can afford $425... his asking price.. i dont see the problem. pope is prob making razor thing margins as it is. assume that replacing everything from the turbo to the back is gonna come up around $1000. id say minimum just by what pope was asking for a custom exhaust in his shop. and yes, 3" to from the turbo to the back with stock mani would make nice gains. but as mentioned, you need the whole setup to make the most effcient gains. everything from the air filter to the back of the car has to be taken into account.

if you dont have the cash for this, wait til you do. cracked mani or not, nothing is hurting right now with your stock stuffs.

be happy with the price. cause us Canadian pay 25% more than u guys on everything we buy

its like working 1/4 of the year for nothing

i know when i put mine on i noticed it helping on the bottom end and the top end both. it didn't seem to choke out as bad in the upper rpm and spooled a little faster on the bottom. huge difference from the stock piece. you can almost fit the stock inside it. even if you had someone build you a custom 2 1/2 inch pipe it would probably not flow near as smooth as pope's 3 inch. well worth the money to buy this thing.

I would get the O2 bung, you'll need one anyway.

At $400 you might be able to come up with a used pipe, but you'll have to kick in $25 more to get a new one.

Your right I'm just being cheap I hadn't decided fully I'm thinking I'm going to get the downpipe and stick with Callaway I've got a cold air intake fmic vtcs delete manj gasket match Runners I was thinking your down pipe and 3 inch back from that with a high flow cat and vibrant muffler no point in being cheap just do it the right way first I'm not trying to be disrespectful I know you put a lot of time and effort in your product

My Callaway held up well for twelve years, but it did finally start warping and cracking. It's a matter of "when" and not "if" with the stock manifolds.

Tom's manifold will most likely live longer than your car. :)

I've been driving 3 years on a cracked mani lol. Sicks but there just wasn't anything out there.
Had my pope mocking me on the bench for a while now. Shouod get around to install heh.

I think the stock manifolds crack from the hardware backing out and missing as well as from people over-torquing the exhaust manifold hardware and/or not following the torquing pattern. Possibly from the bracket supporting the S pipe if it is missing, it is common for them to break but cast iron manifolds can last a very very long time without breaking under normal conditions which is why I believe there are other factors causing the manifolds to crack, not a 'manufacturing defect'.

I think the stock manifolds crack from the hardware backing out and missing as well as from people over-torquing the exhaust manifold hardware and/or not following the torquing pattern. Possibly from the bracket supporting the S pipe if it is missing, it is common for them to break but cast iron manifolds can last a very very long time without breaking under normal conditions which is why I believe there are other factors causing the manifolds to crack, not a 'manufacturing defect'.

I agree with you. My theory is that in most msps the support brackets on the j pipe and s pipe and up removed and then there is so much engine rock due to the crappy motor mounts that the manifold ends up trying to lift the exhaust up and down which puts a lot of undue stress through it. That's why I stopped building my downpipes without a flex section. The flex gives the exhaust a place to move and keeps the stress out of the manifold.

Back