New Owner, Couple of Questions: FMIC and Blowoff Valve

jdh0086

:
MazdaSPEED Protege
I just got my MSP about a week ago and it kicks ass. I know alot about old cars and American Muscle so Im not to familiar with foreign engines and turbos and all the technical stuff yet. I also do alot of custom interior work, I had custom mounted screens, neons, leds and other cool audio/video stuff in my truck so I know my way around vehicles.

I dont want to go crazy with the car and put alot of mods on it but I do want to do some simple things to it to give it a little more HP.

Does anyone know if there are any pre-made brackets so that I can take the stock SMIC and front mount it? And would I have to legnthen any hoses and complex stuff or is it a fairly simple procedure?

I was also wondering if anyone knows if there is a simple bolt on Blowoff bec I dont want to have to weld on the flange and all that stuff?

Welcome, you will find a lot of great info here (most of it not from me ;)).
Forge offers one that goes right in place of the stock BPV. I have one and it works great for me.
http://forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=2002&product=FMDVMSP01
I've never heard of mounting the stock IC to the front, but from what I hear, it is very inefficient no matter how much clear air gets to it. Your best bet would be to go with a pre-fab kit like BEGI, HiBoost, MAM, or some of the other vendor items here. Another great option is an upgraded SMIC that is much more efficient like CustomMSP's SMIC.

Have to be careful with a BOV because its real iffy. Some people have had no problems, and other have the stalling issue due to the MAF. I personally had no luck with a Vented BOV, and returned my MSP back to stock until I get Hardpipes and can re-locate the MAF or at least Re-Circulate a better BOV. Most people either re-locate, or run a dual setup which works fine too.

As far as moving the stock intercooler to the front, it would prolly be more fabrication than you would want to deal with. I would go with the upgraded SMIC that either ********** or CustomMSP makes, but if you want a FMIC system I heard Hi-Boost has the best one. Oh yea... Welcome to Forums!

i dont know why youd want to move your side mount, i mean its definitely getting flow where it is. go with a side mount if dont have big plans down the road for your engine or anything.

as for the bov, do you just want it for the sound? it doesnt make sense to get a bov unless youre upgrading your intercooler and the plumbing. but if you really want a bov without welding a flange and all that here ya go:

http://apexr1.com/noname8.html

Back