New MSP owner chiming in

Just got a super clean 03.5 yellow MSP with 44k original miles on the it. The car looks and still drives like new. Ill post pics tomorrow. I dont have grand plans for the car as its just too nice for me to run wild with and is my second car. I come from the miata and Rx7 world so getting used to FWD has been interesting to say the least but still enjoyable. As far as mods go, the previous owner had a crap narrow band, crap boost gauge, crap air filter on the stock piping as well as Tokico blues installed. Everything else is stock.

So far I have changed the narrow band to a proper AEM Uego, the boost gauge to an Ultra Light Autometer gauge, added a Hallman MBC and will be installing an ETS SMIC, fully ducting it with custom hard pipes and throwing on a custom intake and a turbo xs hybrid BP/BOV. In addition, I also installed an SURear Engine mount (not so bad to install as its made out to be) and I have a new walbro 255 fuel pump from my last 94 miata sitting around that I may install just to use it. With all that said, I discovered two interesting things today with this car;

1. The rear brake calipers are from an FC Rx7.

2. I have no Fuel cut it would seem. I was adjusting the MBC to run 10psi when all of a sudden the car shot to a rock solid 14psi and held a perfect 11:4 AFR. Its as if the ecu was tuned to run 14psi. Makes no sense considering everything I have read on this forum and others about these cars. Anything less than that and the car runs pig rich. From what I have seen, there is no FCD on the car so how in the hell is this possible? Its even in the 60's here now. Zero knock, zero detonation, zero pinging. It runs smooth as hell. Granted I turned the boost down as I don't feel like snapping rods.

Last edited:
Just got a super clean 03.5 yellow MSP with 44k original miles on the it. The car looks and still drives like new. Ill post pics tomorrow. I dont have grand plans for the car as its just too nice for me to run wild with and is my second car. I come from the miata and Rx7 world so getting used to FWD has been interesting to say the least but still enjoyable. As far as mods go, the previous owner had a crap narrow band, crap boost gauge, crap air filter on the stock piping as well as Tokico blues installed. Everything else is stock.

So far I have changed the narrow band to a proper AEM Uego, the boost gauge to an Ultra Light Autometer gauge, added a Hallman MBC and will be installing an ETS SMIC, fully ducting it with custom hard pipes and throwing on a custom intake and a turbo xs hybrid BP/BOV. In addition, I also installed an SURear Engine mount (not so bad to install as its made out to be) and I have a new walbro 255 fuel pump from my last 94 miata sitting around that I may install just to use it. With all that said, I discovered two interesting things today with this car;

1. The rear brake calipers are from an FC Rx7.

2. I have no Fuel cut it would seem. I was adjusting the MBC to run 10psi when all of a sudden the car shot to a rock solid 14psi and held a perfect 11:4 AFR. Its as if the ecu was tuned to run 14psi. Makes no sense considering everything I have read on this forum and others about these cars. Anything less than that and the car runs pig rich. From what I have seen, there is no FCD on the car so how in the hell is this possible? Its even in the 60's here now. Zero knock, zero detonation, zero pinging. It runs smooth as hell. Granted I turned the boost down as I don't feel like snapping rods.
Why would you have fuel-cut?

That's a term thrown around this forum way too often with people unsure as to what it means exactly. You seem to have at least some grasp on the actual meaning. Also, my AFC only tunes up to 16psi. I was running as high as 21psi and from 16psi onward, I had AFR's in the low 11's. Why? Because I'm adding a **** ton more air to the combustion chamber to an already incredibly rich tune.

You also wouldn't get spark knock/detonation/pre-ignition at an AFR of 11.4:1 with OE timing control on premium fuel.

And FC calipers are a somewhat common upgrade.

Well like I said, I have done a bunch of reading, even Super streets MSP project car in which they even mention fuel cut at 10psi. I know theres a ton of misinformation on here and figured I should be expecting such a thing for my car but, low and behold, nothing. I do know what fuel cut is. Thanks for the info on the FC calipers. I never heard of that on this car. Im debating on turning up the boost to 14 psi again on the stock internals but, part of me feels it wont be much of an issue as long as intake temps are kept down and theres enough fuel (of which theres plenty). Its the torque Im more concerned with as thats what bends and snaps rods. Ive no idea how much this car can take but I do know the miata engines start to go around the 260-70 wtq numbers.

You won't trigger the MAF based cut at 60 degrees. It has nothing to do with boost pressure.
If you want to maintain your bottom end and keep it reliable forget about driving around @ 14psi daily on the pcm.
Good luck to you either way and welcome.

Welcome to the 2003-2003.5 speed crew.

There are a lot of places that still offer hard pipes for your car I would bother with having custom pipe bent. Sounds like you have a solid car. If I were you the first thing I would address is the oil system mod. Look at the DocB oil system threed.
Any thing we can help with let us know.

You won't trigger the MAF based cut at 60 degrees. It has nothing to do with boost pressure.
If you want to maintain your bottom end and keep it reliable forget about driving around @ 14psi daily on the pcm.
Good luck to you either way and welcome.

Yeah its back down to 10 now. Once the new smic goes in, ill see where it sits. I may push 12 but most likely not. I dont track the car nor do i abuse the throttle so Im not that worried really. Better to be safe than sorry.

Welcome to the 2003-2003.5 speed crew.

There are a lot of places that still offer hard pipes for your car I would bother with having custom pipe bent. Sounds like you have a solid car. If I were you the first thing I would address is the oil system mod. Look at the DocB oil system thread.
Any thing we can help with let us know.

I already spent the money on the piping which wasnt much and my friend is a great welder and fabricator. Id rather support him with the work. Im reading up on the oil thread now. Thanks for that.

Thanks guys for the help and the warm welcome. Ill be posting from time to time but rest assured, if I ask any questions, it'll be after I have read as much as there is available.

Welcome to the club. The rear calipers are actually FD calipers (may be the same as FC, not an upgrade since they are stock) Front calipers are from Euro spec 626s FYI. Oh and the Tokico struts are original to the MSPs.

Back