new msp owner as of 3 days ago

ok, nobody is picking on anyone. So I don't know why you are saying that. Im just saying, there has not been any recent accounts of this issue in several years. Numerous members here rag the hell out of their cars. Several members here are into Autocross and are pretty hard on their cars. So if this was an ongoing issue, they would be complaining about it right now since their cars are constantly being yanked into turns and the weight constantly being shifted. I myself have done plenty of "spirited runs" and driving on my car since 2007 with no issues. I have hit plenty of potholes, bumps and uneven pavement at high speeds. I have not had one stress crack.....ever. To add to the "stress", I have 88 durometer AWR mounts on all four sides of the engine, so add vibration to that "stress". Everything on these cars have been called a curse at one point or another. Look at the time period of these issues since once again, you post another thread from the same time frame. Just because a car has a cracked windshield does not automatically mean it is a stress crack. You could be cruising down the highway listening to some music and have a small rock hit your windshield without even knowing. Then, two weeks later you are out running errands and hit a pothole. That impact has now developed into a crack. Is that a stress crack? No. Even if the crack is coming from one of the sides as stated in the sticky thread(which Im well aware of), doesn't mean it's a stress crack.

Last edited:
Only thing i dont like is its not as fast as i want it to be... Ive also had to replace the exhaust manifold sevral times. Other than that... the stock exhaust is junk in my opinion all the stock pipes intercooler air intake etc = Junk.... Stock suspension = Junk...My EGR tube was bad when i bought it.. But if you replace all the junk with aftermarket goodies and take care of your car ( keep up with the GENERAL maintenance ) Than its a pretty reliable car.. Pretty good gas mileage.. And this is only my own personal Experiences I cant speak for anyone else.. But I have personally had to replace alot of things from when i first Bought my car 4 years ago... But now that everything is new with upgraded parts it is great In my opinion..

yeah i never had any windshield issues either, mine's the original from 2003 and i also drive my MSP like i stole it. PA is full of bad roads.

Only thing i dont like is its not as fast as i want it to be... Ive also had to replace the exhaust manifold sevral times. Other than that... the stock exhaust is junk in my opinion all the stock pipes intercooler air intake etc = Junk.... Stock suspension = Junk...My EGR tube was bad when i bought it.. But if you replace all the junk with aftermarket goodies and take care of your car ( keep up with the GENERAL maintenance ) Than its a pretty reliable car.. Pretty good gas mileage.. And this is only my own personal Experiences I cant speak for anyone else.. But I have personally had to replace alot of things from when i first Bought my car 4 years ago... But now that everything is new with upgraded parts it is great In my opinion..

only part thats really junk on the suspension is the way the rear sway bar mounts..which only causes the sway bars to wear out fairly quickly. Other then that... its pretty much all factory - aftermarket racing beat sway bars, and tokico hp blue struts.

The intake and intercooler is pretty much crap, the stock SMIC heat soaks pretty badly, and the stock piping cracks. The manifold is eh at best wouldn't say it horrible compared to other factory manifolds on other cars but does or well did have room for improvement.

The EGR valve is known to gum up on US proteges and you can always get the canuk egr valve and be done with it.

only part thats really junk on the suspension is the way the rear sway bar mounts..which only causes the sway bars to wear out fairly quickly. Other then that... its pretty much all factory - aftermarket racing beat sway bars, and tokico hp blue struts.

The intake and intercooler is pretty much crap, the stock SMIC heat soaks pretty badly, and the stock piping cracks. The manifold is eh at best wouldn't say it horrible compared to other factory manifolds on other cars but does or well did have room for improvement.

The EGR valve is known to gum up on US proteges and you can always get the canuk egr valve and be done with it.

Yeah thats what i meant with the suspension the sway bar end links go bad front and rear in my experience and the sway bars could be upgraded... but i would prefer a full tein coilover set with upgraded sway bars and endlinks... But tein is EXSPENSIVEEE!!!!!!!!!!! But its true you get what you pay for! And as for the EGR I havnt had a problem after upgradeing it thank god...

there is only 1 upgrade for the sway bar, as far as i know, and its only .5mm bigger i believe. i may be completely off as this is from memory. The best upgrade for sway bars would be the relocation/clunk fix. it maximizes the efficiency of the stock sway bar and gets rid of the nasty clunk. You may be mistaking the Mazdaspeed clunk for bad endlinks.

wow tons of helpful stuff so sounds like my car has a few of them problems already squeaks in front and back even as i get in and out, and a clunk in the back, it idles alittle rough, and is it normal to tack out at 4500 because when i passed someone this morning on my way to work it would go to 4500 rpm and then bounced there like a rev limiter or something but it does have a full injen intake so no plastic there along with a forge blow off valve if im not mistaken (mind you this is my very first experiance in the turbo world) which i dont know if those come stock or not, and i need to replace altleast one motor mount but 1. i got the car for a steal i think 2. its sooo fun to drive 3. omg this thing turns on rails and i love that 4.i live in a small town and work in a small town 30 minutes away and no matter whoch of the 2 towns im in EVERYONE rubbernecks when i drive bys and im sorry but i cant help but smile not to menting hasnt been a day gone by where i dont get a complement about this car and that makes me feel good. but i did expect to have to do some little things to the car so like the motor mount that didnt bother me and actually if i wasnt worried about something breaking i would be fine with the squeeks and clunks lol

a>

kinda late to chime in. the car is a great dd as long as you maintain it. the only thing that has seriously gone wrong on mine has been the lsd and the head gasket. which honeslty was expected. enjoy the car and take care of it!

Your mods are

1) Forge WGA
2) SMIC hard pipes
3) Injen CAI

What you need to fix from what I can see is your VAC line going to your BPV... that s*** is kinked... fix that first. Also what is that vac-T going to up by the thorttle body.. I see it T's off and goes to something and then T's off and goes to the BPV and the WGA.

I see that and have no clue good question I'm gonna have to investigate that, dang and I was all happy thinking it was sweet under the hood lol

i checked it out it looks kinked but actually thats a plastic L fitting and as for the T it keeps going strait not sure what its going into yet but were it turns left just has a small tube and a screw in the end

Damn this is the forum ive been looking for i aswell just bought a 03 mspt i paid 3800 for it one owner its my first turbo vehicle but after hearing all these negative issues with it looks like ill be putting a little into it atleast the cai and intercooler freaking car is fast but really quick is taking care of a turbo vehicle the same as any oil change,etc.......trying to figure out how to post pics lol lol

Back