New MS3 owner- The good, the bad and the ugly

MavMS3

:
Mazda, 2008 Mazdaspeed3 / GT
Hello all! I am a proud new owner of a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT, in velocity red. I have been a reader of these forums for over two years, and vowed to become involved when I purchased a Mazdaspeed3.

The good:

For the LI / NY area, the car is very clean, only a few nicks and dings, but nothing major. It shows no evidence of modifications (good in my opinion). I got it at a great price and am already in love with the vehicle. The power increase over my Protege5 is downright addicting, and I am loving driving my first manual transmission.

The bad (ok not so bad):

CEL came on <50 miles out of the dealer. I took it over to Pep Boys and it was a P0401 code, which after doing a little research does not seem to be a huge deal. The code was cleared and hasn't come back on in 600 miles. If it comes back I will consider cleaning out the carbon build up.

The ugly:

One of the small cosmetic flaws was a small crack in the passenger side view mirror outer plastic cover. It didn't look so bad to me, but at some point today on my commute home, the outer plastic cover flew off. I didn't see it happen, and didn't notice it was missing until I returned back home after going to the grocery store. I retraced my "steps" back to the grocery store and home again, and I could not find it smashed or on the side of the road. My commute was all highway and there is little to no chance of me finding it. Although this is a very minor problem I am super bummed.

So my options as I see them:

1.) Pray that someone on these forums did some sort of carbon fiber replacement and has a velocity red side view mirror laying around, and wants to make a little bit of cash for it.

2.) Pay for a primered OEM mirror assembly (~ $125) and have it professionally painted.

3.) Find a junkyard velocity red ms3 (unlikely).

I would really appreciate any other ideas I may have overlooked- I am really frustrated since I literally purchased this wonderful car 1 week ago.

I would really prefer not to pay for a whole new mirror assembly, pay extra to have it painted and spend a few hours replacing it when the whole mirror is functional with the exception of the missing plastic. Additionally I do not want to waste my time looking at junkyards since this is a limited production vehicle.

Thanks for the help!

Onlinemazdaparts has the passenger mirror for $106. It says order by color so I don't know if that means it'll come painted, but that is the first place I would look personally, replaced a few parts on my '07 GT and the prices were fair and shipping was fast.

I don't know if the speed 3 and regular 3 have the same mirrors, but I saw some regular 3 mirrors on ebay for around $50.

You might be able to get the dealer to fix the mirror for you, since you just bought the car, but anyway

it appears that the painted part is just a cover or skin, so you can replace the entire black part and reuse the original red mirror cover, therefore you shouldn't need to get it painted.

0033312_450.jpeg

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up ordering a used mirror from a parted out velocity red MS3 that I found on slidegood.com The price was ~$60.

rsvinylgraphics- the red mirror cover is the only part I needed, the entire housing is fully functioning and intact.

Anyways, I figured I would post some pictures of my new friend.

dcwkt1.jpg

29zv6du.jpg

I have a 2008.5 MS3 in the same color. im also located in NY, Upstate NY that is. nice car and welcome to the world of i need to go faster :)

Are you sure that your car is Velocity Red and not True Red?

If so, your car has to be repainted because they didn't offer VRM until 2010.

I have a 2008.5 MS3 in the same color. im also located in NY, Upstate NY that is. nice car and welcome to the world of i need to go faster :)

Thanks! I am sure you are aware of the LI mindset: everything north of westchester is upstate! Where a bouts?

Yep :D Should make things easier as far as finding used stuff in the future!

Haha, well it's a good thing I didn't order touch up paint! When I saw the dealership ad for my car I saw it listed as "True Red" and thought "Ha they don't know anything about Mazdas, it's Velocity Red Mica, obviously"- Looks like the joke was on me.

CEL came on <50 miles out of the dealer. I took it over to Pep Boys and it was a P0401 code, which after doing a little research does not seem to be a huge deal. The code was cleared and hasn't come back on in 600 miles. If it comes back I will consider cleaning out the carbon build up.

Yeah, that darned code. I got mine at something like 33,000 miles. I cleared it myself. It came back at about 34,000 miles. Took it to the dealer after a couple days of driving, on the way over it cleared itself. Dealer couldn't see the code, hence couldn't do anything. At 34,500 miles the code came back, went straight to the dealer, got the part and labor covered under warranty, else it would have been something like $650 to have them replace it. So I just squeaked in.

Otherwise I was prepared to clean it out using oven cleaner, but I think it's a 2 hour job, which is painful for the lazy.

For me:
The good: fun to drive, not too difficult to get power out of, looks good and sleeper (genjuan)
The bad: no traction in 1st or 2nd sucks
The ugly: fwd. That's it. Everything else I like.

Back