New MP5, time to play...but first...

NoChrono

:
03 MP5
I'd just like to say "howdy" and I'm happy to take part in a such a sweet car culture as exists with the MP5 and friends... I bought my 03 MP5 just yesterday (I love model end-year end closeouts...what a deal!) and it came with a dealer installed 'fart pipe'. I'm looking to throw a little more power its way and was hoping I could get a bit of assistance...

Problem is, I'm not terribly computer/discussion group savvy and am therefore having a bit of a problem digging out information on performance mods/vendors for my MP5.

I'm looking for some recommendations on some basic performance mods-air intake, computer reprogram, and maybe even a turbo system. Would someone please throw me a few bones?:confused:

sure just click on the search button above. next type in intake, CAI, HiBoost, exhaust, header. those are some basic mods. when you do a search, on the bottom left is a box that says search options. from the drop down menu select the "Performance" section.

if you still get stuck ill throw you some links, but its best to learn this way so people dont jump on your back :D

BTW welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase!

btw is it standard or automatic? im assuming its red...so you might as well tell people how much you paid, where at, with how many options, cause theyll ask anyhow :D before you ask, here are the BASICS (not everything you need to know, but a lot) about intakes:

Ok, here are the low-downs on intakes (please read, good info):

First, you have two types, CAI (cold air induction) and SRI (short ram intake). For the most part, you have two name brands that make intakes: Injen, and AEM. Injen makes the CAI and AEM makes the SRI. Also, you can purchase a no-name, Bomz, or other off brand intake from eBay with simliar results to the SRI.

Rumors: Dispite what a lot of people say, the two types of intakes do not yeild a significant power difference. I have owned both types and noticed NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH increase between the SRI and the CAI. The basic difference is 1) Looks (the Injen you can get in different powdercoated colors), and 2) Personal Preference. The eBay intake will yield almost IDENTICAL results to the AEM SRI power wise. In my opinion, the eBay ones look like junk, but they serve their purpose...I had an eBay intake before my Injen...it's a good intake for a tight budget.

Another rumor is that you will have to worry about the CAI taking in water and destroying your engine...while this is theorectically possible, it will not happen unless you submerge your intake in water (ie - drive through a 2ft deep puddle)...the CAI is hidden in your wheel well behind the plastic shield which is screwed in...if you are especially nervous, you can always get the AEM bypass valve, although I personally think it's a waste of money.

Prices: You are going to spend significantly more money for the Inejn or AEM intake over the eBay intake. And you are going to spend more money for the Injen over the AEM. A lot of owners feel it's worth the money to be able to get your intake in Black, Red, Blue, Silver, etc, and therefore spend their money on the Injen. Frankly, if you don't care about name brands, or care what people think when you open your hood (if you even open your hood), I would not waste my money on the Injen or AEM...but that's just my opinion, and many hours have been wasted arguing this point. Many owners have found the best prices for the Injen at www.adventon.com...

and about exhausts:

Lowdown on exhausts:

Ok, this is a very opinionated opinion :)

Personally, I think that the stock piping is quite suffcient on the Protege5 unless youre going turbo. Therefore, I would not waste your money with a catback exhaust, and instead put your money elsewhere (not to mention you'll save a buttload on shipping). Mostly, you'll see people have the Racing Beat, JIC, HKS, or "custom" exhaust. Basically, from what I understand (although I've only had one exhaust, the HKS), the main difference is sound. I highly doubt that you will notice a difference in performance between the Racing Beat cat-back and the HKS axle-back exhaust or the JIC. If you wanted to go the custom route, you could simply buy a nice muffler from eBay, and take it to your local muffler shop and have them weld it on, and get the same gains as a catback system for probably half the price. i know my local shop wanted to charge me $150. so plus a decent muffler ($100+), you could get a custom cat-back for around $250 installed...then use the money you save to buy yourself a high-flow catalytic converter from the same place. The reason I chose my HKS rear section (in other words, it bolts to the stock piping right around the rear axle, as opposed to the second cat converter) is because it comes with a silencer that you can use to significantly dampen the sound of your exhaust - this keeps you from sounding like a damn ricer, AND can be very important in areas where they are strict on noise ordinances and EPA violations...plus, HKS is a good name too! i also like the way it looks coming out at an angle. Install on most of the exhausts should take you less than an hour with a good jack and a friend...they should be two bolts only, and come with gaskets!

Yep, she's bright red. I paid 15,500 out the door (that's with tax, title, license). I got it from Showcase Mazda over here in Phoenix and the only options she has are the performance exhaust of unknown brand and window tinting. Not a big fan of auto or ABS...and moon roofs? Eh. :) I'm really excited about the possibility of a turbo kit; I've owned three RX-7's thus far and one of them was the 88 Turbo Anniversary.

BTW, my fiance bought herself a 6 from the same dealership, we like 'em quite a bit and recommend em...Chris Parks was our salesman, drop em a name if you buy a car through him and I'll split the 'finder's fee'.

I'm trying out this search function...y'know, if you sent me some more links privately...no one would ever have to know. :) THANK YOU!!!!

ill try to make some time today to do that for you. i once owned an 88 rx7 turbo II as well.

Just some links to vendors for you...in case you haven't found any yet...

Turbo kits:

www.flyinprotege.com
www.HiBoost.com
www.wagnermotorsports.net
There are some more makers of turbo kits and applicable parts, but can't remember the URL's off hand...

Intakes/Exhaust/etc.
www.corksport.com
www.planetperformance.com
www.AWRracing.com ...they sell a very good header, as well as tons of other harder to find stuff...
www.protege5online.com ...he has a lot of parts available (Mitch)

Shifters/knobs/bushings etc...
www.TWMperformance.com
www.Kartboy.com

some of the sites sell more than just what category they are under, so look around...and let me know if you want any suspension upgrade info as well...

Last edited:
Matthew said:
btw is it standard or automatic? im assuming its red...so you might as well tell people how much you paid, where at, with how many options, cause theyll ask anyhow :D before you ask, here are the BASICS (not everything you need to know, but a lot) about intakes:

Ok, here are the low-downs on intakes (please read, good info):

First, you have two types, CAI (cold air induction) and SRI (short ram intake). For the most part, you have two name brands that make intakes: Injen, and AEM. Injen makes the CAI and AEM makes the SRI. Also, you can purchase a no-name, Bomz, or other off brand intake from eBay with simliar results to the SRI.

Rumors: Dispite what a lot of people say, the two types of intakes do not yeild a significant power difference. I have owned both types and noticed NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH increase between the SRI and the CAI. The basic difference is 1) Looks (the Injen you can get in different powdercoated colors), and 2) Personal Preference. The eBay intake will yield almost IDENTICAL results to the AEM SRI power wise. In my opinion, the eBay ones look like junk, but they serve their purpose...I had an eBay intake before my Injen...it's a good intake for a tight budget.

Another rumor is that you will have to worry about the CAI taking in water and destroying your engine...while this is theorectically possible, it will not happen unless you submerge your intake in water (ie - drive through a 2ft deep puddle)...the CAI is hidden in your wheel well behind the plastic shield which is screwed in...if you are especially nervous, you can always get the AEM bypass valve, although I personally think it's a waste of money.

Prices: You are going to spend significantly more money for the Inejn or AEM intake over the eBay intake. And you are going to spend more money for the Injen over the AEM. A lot of owners feel it's worth the money to be able to get your intake in Black, Red, Blue, Silver, etc, and therefore spend their money on the Injen. Frankly, if you don't care about name brands, or care what people think when you open your hood (if you even open your hood), I would not waste my money on the Injen or AEM...but that's just my opinion, and many hours have been wasted arguing this point. Many owners have found the best prices for the Injen at www.adventon.com...

Right-o. Good info there.

Also remember for intakes you can go with Ractive or Vibrant. They will be a little easier on the wallet too. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Latest posts

Back