New model Mazda5 - not immune from suspension problems

So I have both the clicking and creaking noises every time accelerating from stop. The clicking also happen on engine braking in lower gears. I ordered a new lower control arm on the left side and just installed it today. First time doing any suspension work, so it was very tough - took me 4 hours. Getting the ball joint back into the knuckle while having the bushings in correct locations is such a pain. At least the result is good - creaking is gone for now. Clicking is still there though.
While changing out the control arm, I noticed that the drive shaft can click. I can turn it back and forth slightly and it'll produce that metal clicking noise - seems to be coming from where it goes into the transmission. Not sure if that's normal or not. I was so tired at the end and didn't check the right side drive shaft.
Very glad it didn't come down to towing it to the shop to have the arm installed :)

I'll be watching this thread. Our 2012 Sport w/ manual has this issue. Intermittent, but it is either in the suspension or the motor mounts. I've only sunk 1 fruitless trip to the dealer... so far.

BTW - anybody else have warped brake rotors at <30,000 miles? Ours are warped and I'm hoping it will be covered under warranty.

JMJ

To remedy:

Turn the rotors, replace pads with something else. The FoMoCo-stamped pads just plain SUCK. Went to Centric Posi-Quiet ceramics and have been very satisfied.

Warranty is out next month, and I hope I never step foot in a Mazda dealer again.

Find yourself a cracker of a mechanic and stick with him. Warranty work encourages dealers to do poorly, since they have an unlimited tap to get paid from. I have done 99% of the work on my car since it went out of warranty and besides the fact that it does break more often than the Subaru I had and the Volvo I have now, its really only been on things that SHOULD have been designed better like the motor mount, interior parts and that really stupid aluminum-foil and fiberglass shroud they try to classify as a heat shield between the cabin and the exhaust. All the major components do the job they were intended to do, and have held up without constant attention (unlike the Hondas).

To remedy:

Turn the rotors, replace pads with something else. The FoMoCo-stamped pads just plain SUCK. Went to Centric Posi-Quiet ceramics and have been very satisfied.

When the pads are due, I'll look into other pads & rotors.

I just had the 30k service done and the stock Toyos are due for replacement. They are offering a decent deal on Kuhmo Ecsta 4X tires (orientation specific, one side of tire marked "outside"), but I'm not a fan of these, as they cannot be flipped on the rim if the wear is too uneven. I could go with Kuhmo Ecsta ASX tires (directional) or something else. 205/55/16 on my Sport model. Cost is a factor.

Dealer finally identified the source of the noise - they said it was one of the motor mounts (which is what I thought). Replacement ordered and on it's way.

JMJ

Dealer finally identified the source of the noise - they said it was one of the motor mounts (which is what I thought). Replacement ordered and on it's way.

JMJ

Update:
Dealer replaced motor mount - hooray! No more honk from the front end.
Also installed Yokohama YK580 tires from Discount tire. The horrible tire growl is gone and wet-weather driving is immeasurably safer.

JMJ

JMJ, do you know which one they replaced? I'm suspecting the left side (transmission mount) on mine, and if that's what they replaced on yours I'll just take the chance and buy the part to DIY it. The rear mount looks like a pain, and if that's the case I'll have to think twice about doing it myself.

JMJ, do you know which one they replaced? I'm suspecting the left side (transmission mount) on mine, and if that's what they replaced on yours I'll just take the chance and buy the part to DIY it. The rear mount looks like a pain, and if that's the case I'll have to think twice about doing it myself.

I looked at the service write-up:

R Replaced engine mount per TSB 01-013/13
2571 WM1
1 BBM4-39-074 Rubber, Mounting

Hope this helps - JMJ

Last edited:
Back