New mod for the CX-9 Section

fatti03msp

Contributor
:
03 MSP & 91 RX-7 & 00 1500
Hey guys just wanted to let you guys all now that im going to help moderate this section and if you have any suggestions and/or questions feel free post them up or send me a PM.

Aslo my aim is fatti03msp so feel free to says whats up if you want too.

Also maybe you guys can help me out too, i plan on getting a CX-9 in the fall. I want a classy looking DD and i want something that can tow my msp. So if theres stuff i want to look for when getting let me know, I would like to get a used one but i might lease a new one. Its going to be left mainly stock. But i want it to be loaded haha.

The specs say it can tow 3500 pounds is that being on the safe side and can it tow more. Any of you guys tow with the CX-9 . I would like to be able to tow my msp with a trailer.

Also maybe you guys can help me out too, i plan on getting a CX-9 in the fall. I want a classy looking DD and i want something that can tow my msp. So if theres stuff i want to look for when getting let me know, I would like to get a used one but i might lease a new one. Its going to be left mainly stock. But i want it to be loaded haha.

The specs say it can tow 3500 pounds is that being on the safe side and can it tow more. Any of you guys tow with the CX-9 . I would like to be able to tow my msp with a trailer.

Well I don't want to push you away from the CX9, as it's a great vehicle, but it really isn't built for towing much of anything, aside from maybe a motorcycle or jet ski.

This is one vehicle I wouldn't push the rating on, folks have had trouble with the trans overheating and a subsequent loss of power just from steeper inclines requiring the CX9 to move nothing more than its own heft. Please peruse the following threads:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123689643

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123721442

Attachment for TSB:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=139366

Nearly 9000 miles on ours since August and the only complaint is the inability to get our cell phones synced up with the Bluetooth.

thanks for joining us!

if you're really determined to go with the 9, definitely do your homework starting w/pinski's advice. but if the biggest problem is with transmissions, I would guess (emphasis on 'guess') you could minimize any trouble by running synthetic ATF and installing a transmission cooler. also, a FWD Sport will have a lighter curb weight than a AWD GT (over 200 lbs), so you might consider a lighter model if you'll be pushing the limits.

the down side to the 9 is a relatively low production, so there's less experience (aftermarket parts, etc.) to draw from. but I love this vehicle.

The TSB on Loss of Power is a matter of temperature limit setting. It can be corrected with a flash of software. I would say that Mazda WAS on the safe side when setting the threshold. Once re-flashed, no one has reported any issue.

The Aisin tranny has been widely used in Volvo as well. It has life-time fluid (i.e. synthetic a must already) I would recommend changing the fluid (drain and replace - probably every 30K miles) if you intend to make it last more than 100K. Every drain and replace of tranny fluid only replace 1/3-1/2 (depending on designs) of total fluid. Some is locked inside torque converter. It is a matter of dilution while D&R the fluid.

I would also say that installing tranny cooler is a must if you want to tow more often.
Heat is a major killer of transmission.

Tow rating was evaluated with a formula. It also depends on how much weight you have inside the cabin (or on the roof). The less you have, the more you can tow.

Sure. New Honda Pilot gives you 4500lb of towing. How many people you know have Honda transmission problem in the past few years? I know two myself (me and another friend - both with Odyssey - NO TOWING AT ALL). To be honest, I think Honda really messed up people' trust on their reliability image with their 4-speed and 5-speed tranny. In my case, I change the fluid regularly, and I encounter shifting problem in cold weather at 87K miles. I traded in mine '01 Odyssey for the CX9.

Last edited:
Just a note on changing the ATF. I'd stick to recommended ATF. In spite of my years working on cars, I am not a transmission expert, by any means. Particular a modern computer controlled 6 speed automatic. However, my understanding is that adding the wrong type can cause it to function improperly, or even actually damage the transmission.

The manual calls for JWS 9000. The only place I found it was on Mobil's web site, but not for sale. Never found it anywhere in Arizona. I asked a Mazda dealer, and they said they use T4 (T-IV), but only had it in bulk.

When I had to add some, I went to our local Toyota dealer and bought it, since most Toyotas use T4. Works perfectly.

The only other problem is getting the level correct. I tinkered with the level forever, but finally got it right.

Why did it take forever for levelling? Can you elaborate? I'm a new used CX9 owner and curious. I realise I am attempting to raise this thread from dead, but this would assist others considering ATF flush.

I don't think towing a car trailer & car would be a problem. As far as CX9's with towing packages such as mine, they have an upgraded radiator, an external transmission cooler (sits behind the bumper) and therefore handle pulling tows pretty well.... it's more the stopping that's the issue. Since CX-9's have pretty lousy brakes overall to begin with, it gets even worse with towing. There is no brake upgrade with the towing package, that I know of.

Back