New member - SCCA Autocross racer too

okvol

:
2014 Mazda 2 sport
Just joined up. My 2014 2 Sport has about 1400 miles, and I love the handling. Next weekend will be my first race - and I've got the itch real bad. Will post video after the race.

Welcome! I'm sure you will have a blast. The 2 has been nothing but smiles for me during my first season of AutoX. :)

Always good to see more 2 people. Even today driving to work I just love how well the car just zips through traffic. Anything done to it yet? I liked mine stock, but with just a few mods they really become fun.

I am considering getting another one for a daily driver since the last one became a racecar, lol.

-Derrick

I am considering getting another one for a daily driver since the last one became a racecar, lol.

-Derrick

You should! You know all the stuff you can put on it makes a really fun daily driver too...I know I have fun just taking an off-ramp

My first race is this Saturday, second on Sunday.
I raced most of last year in an 07 Scion tC, but started in a 97 Neon. Three cars in a year's time.
The Neon needed tires, but died an electronic death I didn't have time to cure. But it was fun to race.
The Scion was decent once I got tires, but she was heavy.
This 2 is a featherweight. With my current budget, I have to run this year on the Yokos that were mounted in Japan. Next year I'm getting rims and wider tires for racing. I may also get a rear "sway" bar, but I'm going to see what times I set this year.

If you want to see some of my vids, in-car in the two other cars, search youtube for caokvol . Last year was my rookie year, but I took the rookie trophy last race of the year.

My first race is this Saturday, second on Sunday.
I raced most of last year in an 07 Scion tC, but started in a 97 Neon. Three cars in a year's time.
The Neon needed tires, but died an electronic death I didn't have time to cure. But it was fun to race.
The Scion was decent once I got tires, but she was heavy.
This 2 is a featherweight. With my current budget, I have to run this year on the Yokos that were mounted in Japan. Next year I'm getting rims and wider tires for racing. I may also get a rear "sway" bar, but I'm going to see what times I set this year.

The rear tire pressure should be fun with the stock rubber! I think I was running ~50 when I tried it out.

-Derrick

If you want to see some of my vids, in-car in the two other cars, search youtube for caokvol . Last year was my rookie year, but I took the rookie trophy last race of the year.

You don't need wider wheels just throw on a set of RE-11As and embarrass everyone else in street class. Done. I recommend these tires because the Rivals are too much for factory wheel and they suck in the rain. The REs come in 195-50-15 just right:)

I am excited to get some go fast goodies on mine and take it racing as well.
Saving up some cash then blowing it all on corksports web site ! Lol

Well,I stunk it up Saturday, but started getting a handle on it Sunday. I took first place in class Sunday but I was the only driver in that class! (There was severe weather moving in, but we missed it.)

I'm going to keep this go-cart in street class, minimal mods.

But wow, is this car is so fun to throw around. I found that I go hard into a corner, brake hard, turn the wheel, and off it would go. Even with the factory tires.

Another guy was there with a 2 also. He did better - but he had the wheels and tires from his old Miata.

Well,I stunk it up Saturday, but started getting a handle on it Sunday. I took first place in class Sunday but I was the only driver in that class! (There was severe weather moving in, but we missed it.)

I'm going to keep this go-cart in street class, minimal mods.

But wow, is this car is so fun to throw around. I found that I go hard into a corner, brake hard, turn the wheel, and off it would go. Even with the factory tires.

Another guy was there with a 2 also. He did better - but he had the wheels and tires from his old Miata.

It doesn't take much to be a champ in a 2, tires really help.

Derrick

Back