New member (previously MS3 owner) - engine rebuild WITH PICTURES already ;)

leofaye01

:
'06 Mazdaspeed6 Grand Touring
[This thread posted conjunctively in other forums :D]

Hello everyone!
Id like to introduce myself. Im Leo, I used to be really active back in the day in the MS3 forums.
Im on my 4th Mazda now. My previous 2 were Speed3s .. and now I got myself a fully-loaded Speed6 project car.

Just last month I bought her from her former owner with a salvaged title (noticed the past tense). He ran in into a puddle of water and well you all know how that goes. Ive taken the motor out and Im ready to start the teardown.

A little about time: Married. Ive been in CA for now 5 years, previously from MD. I got out of the military last year; loved it but had to move on. I was an aircraft airframe mechanic. In the service I learned the confidence to tear anything and rebuild it. Also, mechanics, the importance of safety, preparation is key, having the right tool (even if it means sleeping on the couch) and slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Im now a full time student and dont even need a car to go to school soooooo

That leaves me here. I got a garage, a bunch of Snap-On tools, power tools (BAT and pneumatic), and most importantly TIME (time builds savings new parts deplete savings :)

Anyhow Ive always been ghosting here and there but never registered to say hi and THANK YOU to everyone that pitched in input on other peoples threads from where I, too, learned.

Im budgeting for a new block (stage2+, prebuilt by was it CPE?), upgraded fuel pump, exh. manifold, the works (I previously tore down and rebuilt my MS3 in-bay so I got very confident with the engine and all the aftermarket essentials and vendors).

And because everybody loves pictures This is my setup at home. And finally I get to answer a question for someone:

How much does the dual-mass flywheel weight? :nerd:
26.0 pounds! The weight of the wood is less than half a pound.

If anyone has any other questions.. shoot them my way! The engine will be torn down for a while so I can help answer any questions with attached pictures to make it easier for everyone.

THANK YOU!

My home-made parts washer station.. and flammable storage
DSC00001_zpspspmkyqe.jpg

DSC00022_zpse0rfgtly.jpg

This was 3 days ago. All Mazda publications were reprinted by FedEx office with Mazda's written authorization, of course.

Back