New Member from Virginia

DCPhoto

:
2007 Mazda5 Touring
My name is Dave, and I live in Richmond, VA. I'm picking up my 2007 Mazda5 Touring (Brilliant Black) on Tuesday evening in North Carolina. I'm excited about it. I sold my 2004 WRX Wagon as I needed more room for our 3 kids, and road trips were starting to become a bit cramped in the Subaru ;)

I miss the WRX already; but I've driven the Mazda5 (my retired parents own one, and I've taken it on a 2000 mile road trip to St. Louis and back), and love it. What better way to test a car before purchase right?

Anyways, glad there's a forum for information. I work as a freelance photographer (I do mostly real estate photography for million dollar and multi-million dollar listings up and down the East Coast, and projects for a Business Resources firm for start up and venture capital projects). So I'll be sure to post up some good pictures of the 5 when I get it home early next week.

-Dave.

Welcome from a fellow Virginian (Reston) also named Dave. If you like your 5 half as much as I like mine you will be very happy.

Welcome. :) I look forward to seeing pictures of your 5! How do you find cargo space with 3 kids?

Welcome, Dave. Brilliant Black is the best colour for the 5! And 2007 is the best year.
Not that I'm biased or anything.

Ha ha I just moved from the Richmond / Colonial Hights / Dinwiddey area, (outie)

(hi)

Hello ALL THE WAY FROM OKINAWA JAPAN!!

We demand pictures (When ya get the 5) ;)

Peace!(rei)

:) Thanks guys for all the warm welcomes. I'd love to get pictures, but it's been record breaking snow fall here for the past week on and off; so I haven't been able to wash it, wax it, and really clean it up for a proper photo shoot...but rest assured I'll get it done! I picked up my 5 on Tuesday evening; and I'm loving every second of owning this car. I got it for around $8500 which I thought was a pretty damn good deal! The interior is perfect, and only a couple of little dings on the exterior that are hardly noticeable. So all is good.

I took it to my local Mazda dealer to get their full circle inspection done, a state inspection, and take care of a couple of minor issues it had (blown driver's side fog light, rebalancing of all 4 wheels since some of the sticky weights had come off, etc...). The only other thing the 5 needed besides those repairs that I had mentioned to them was new front brake pads...so not bad at all for a 2007 with 62,000 miles on it! This was a previous rental car...normally I would have reservations about buying a used fleet/rental vehicle...but I'm glad I found this one. It was very well taken care of by the rental agency.

As far as cargo space with 3 kids...sure it's a little tight for big grocery shopping trips; but we just went last night to buy things for the current big snowstorm coming down now; and with one seat folded down in the 3rd row, everyone was comfortable and everything fit just fine. I guess you just have to kind of plan your grocery packing to make everything fit ;)

I have one issue that I didn't bring up to the dealer when it was in yesterday for service and inspection: I hear an occasional rattling noise coming from the rear end...and I think I've narrowed it down to the gas struts that hold up the tailgate. When I shake and move one of the struts when the tailgate is open; it seems to make the same noise I'm hearing while driving (almost like the unit is just worn out and loose where the shaft meets the cylinder in the strut. Anyone else had this issue or heard of it being a problem? I can replace those struts easily; but figured I'd ask here first. I was also thinking that, worst case, it could be the rear shocks (which I know have been an issue on some of the 5s).

If anyone has any info on either of those issues; I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I'm very happy with my Mazda5. So comfortable, it's damn good looking in Brilliant Black ;) , and a much better choice than a big, bulky traditional minivan!

Thanks again for the nice welcomes!

Dave.

I love my Mazda 6 Wagon . Two problems tho-- It's a thirsty bugger and in very cold weather ( which we get a lot up here ) the brakes are soft till the car is warmed up. Almost like the brake fluid is frozen.

Is the wagon a 4 or a 6, Donmac? Auto or stick?

I love the 6 Wagon and would have gotten it instead of the 5, but the better half was not in love with the idea of a station wagon :(

I love my Mazda 6 Wagon . Two problems tho-- It's a thirsty bugger and in very cold weather ( which we get a lot up here ) the brakes are soft till the car is warmed up. Almost like the brake fluid is frozen.

I've noticed the same thing about our 5's brakes here in Minnesota - on those mornings below -10 (that's fahrenheit - call it below -20 C) the brakes are awful until the car's warmed up. I've never experienced it in a car before. I don't think it's particularly *unsafe*, just really annoying.

Back