New Mazda 6 window switches in a CX-5?...

Mazda has been on the short list to replace my 192k mile Jetta; especially the CX-5 for the added room and AWD. In my research, I noticed the similarities between the CX-5 and the new Mazda 6 interiors, both of which I really like. Seems some of the same switch gear parts bins might have been used. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the new Mazda 6 have one-touch illuminated window switches?
2. If so could these switches work in the CX-5? I realize this might be a stretch requiring a different wire harness at the minimum, but the design of the switch assembly looks nearly identical.

In north America only the driver's switch is lit, the other 3 does not.
But I see EU and Asia pics and they have lit switches on all buttons, all doors.

Anybody know if the new 6 has more than just a single auto up/down feature switch? My Touring CX-5 has only the driver's side (I assume it's the same on all trims).
By comparison, my Speed6 has the feature on all four windows, which is the coolest damn thing ever. I think it is necessary on at least driver and passenger windows.

GT with tech pack here. Only driver's side auto as well. I would like the passenger side and sunroof to be full auto. Not to mention the lack of illuminated switches, which is absurd.

It seems very odd to me that Mazda picks and chooses small features like this depending on markets. You would think that it would be cheaper to build them all basically the same. Some countries get backlit controls, others don't, some get LED DRLs, others don't, etc. It doesn't make much sense why they would build multiple types of these switches. There was an interesting article I read a few months ago about the "death of the stripper model car", which I would link here if I could find it. It was pretty interesting, but these choices from Mazda to not standardize certain parts and pieces are counter intuitive.

"death of the stripper model car"

I didn't even know she was sick...

LBYytpzXnkxivuDPaAyiGLE_LkWyW64KfdKj3ef6yGT9GpcNvOr6fCfCC-8eNghZP4kd7B28Wj7MY2C4qUJTMkr1IIiTtOuvuZXJhTX361A_MYY2fqT1HoGrHDfi67hptKgSstGfoKom73sJRosN3vyVppgO-DaHWVIprZDrxGH5cOw0=s220-c

In my S4 I had to "enable" the feature on the ECU. I must agree thou that it's the coolest and most useful thing evar!

A lot of it has to do with market demand and legal regulations (height of LED DRL's) etc. Though I must say I am very jealous of features available in overseas markets that are not available in the US (LED low mount DRL, navi control switch, backlit controls, etc).

I dont give a hoot if the switches are illuminated (who looks down at them anyway?) but it is most annoying if all 4 arent auto-up (with the extra detent)
even my wife's focus has auto up on all 4 window switches, and my 7 year old truck has it on both windows.

For the price point these cars are going for, it's insane such minute details are left out. If I end up getting a CX-5 I'll try swapping out the switches to one touch up/ down.

The only door switches I use with some frequency are the drivers side window and more often the moonroof. The lack of features on the other side windows are minor to me. My 2 other sedans have the extra features and the difference is not that big of a plus for my usage.

For the price point these cars are going for, it's insane such minute details are left out. If I end up getting a CX-5 I'll try swapping out the switches to one touch up/ down.

The one touch up requires a more expensive window motor that will stop if a certain amount of resistance is met so some one does not trap kid fingers in the window. If you are pressing on the regular button and someone howls you can stop and go down as your hand is on the switch, but you may not stop the one touch, so the safety requires more expense and heaver device, net is it does not appear that just changing the switches will work for one touch.

A lot of it has to do with market demand and legal regulations (height of LED DRL's) etc.

Say Thank You to sleazebag lawyers who defend those that fail to take responsibility for their own actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants
OMG, I spilled hot coffee from McDonalds on myself while driving. I'll sue and help myself into the deep pockets of Ronald McDonald. Now we have coffee lids that say "Caution: Contents may be hot". WTF do you think is in there after you ordered a hot beverage?

Sorry for the tirade, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Say Thank You to sleazebag lawyers who defend those that fail to take responsibility for their own actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants
OMG, I spilled hot coffee from McDonalds on myself while driving. I'll sue and help myself into the deep pockets of Ronald McDonald. Now we have coffee lids that say "Caution: Contents may be hot". WTF do you think is in there after you ordered a hot beverage?

Sorry for the tirade, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I think the case is deeper than that. MCD was selling you coffee you couldn't drink because it was WAY too hot. As per the article they already had people complaining of burns but didn't do much about it. Seems like they settled for much less than the original suit.

Yes she should take some care when handling hot liquids, but do you expect coffee to burn your skin right off in case of accident? What if you had it on your cup-holder, hit a pot hole, lid popped of and splashed all over your face and burned your face and part of your cornea because it was at 190F (which you can't drink anyway)? They are giving it to you in a drive thru so they already know it is going into a moving vehicle. Do expect to need skin grafts, stay 8 days in the hospital, and lose 20% of your body weight for being in the hospital after spilling a cup of coffee on yourself? I do think she should have taken better care, but MCD is not innocent either. Cases like this seem one sided but they really aren't. This was actually a case study we did in my business law class. Good example of don't jump to conclusions (because I sure did when I first heard of it).

About the switches, I like the functionality but if the motor is not pinch sensitive then yes, bad idea. You can take a finger out or break window rail clips very easily.

Last edited:
Seems like they settled for much less than the original suit.

Don't misconstrue my comments as taking the side of McD. In fact McD could have settled for way less but they chose not too:

Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000.[SUP][15][/SUP] Instead, the company offered only $800. When McDonald's refused to raise its offer, Liebeck retained Texas attorney Reed Morgan.

In my S4 I had to "enable" the feature on the ECU. I must agree thou that it's the coolest and most useful thing evar!

My xtrail window is now automatic after a software update, most of what happens is due to the programming.

Cases like this seem one sided but they really aren't. This was actually a case study we did in my business law class. Good example of don't jump to conclusions (because I sure did when I first heard of it).

I agree completely. McDonald's had been totally unresponsive for years with regard to the unusually high temperature of their coffee. It was very inconvenient because I would have to wait a full 15 minutes before I could take my first sip. By then my food was already consumed. And it was awful coffee. Now, they serve their coffee at the perfect temperature and it tastes much better. That lawsuit is what it took to wake up management and the award amounted to less than one day of coffee sales for McDonald's. It's my reliable place to stop when I need a cup of Joe on the road. Better, more consistent and far less expensive than Starbucks (which was very good coffee thirty years ago but not so much now). And I'm so glad they switched from cheap styrofoam cups to real paper. I can only imagine what kind of chemicals leached from the styrofoam at 190 degees F while I waited for it to cool enough to have a sip. And I wasn't always as patient as I needed so my tongue and roof of mouth would often be sore (burned) for days afterwards. I guess I was a slow learner but I would always push the boundary of when I could take that first sip.

About the windows, I'm cool with just the driver side being auto. This is handy when going through a card gate. I was disappointed that my 2010 F-150 (costing considerably more than the CX-5) didn't have the auto window for the driver.

it's funny to me that someone would be so unhappy with their product yet would keep going back and buying their product. The free market should have caused them to change or go away, except from what you are saying people kept taking the bad product and coming back for more.

Yes, good point ta240. Not that the McD story has nothing to do with petty window switch situation on our CX-5's.

Yes, my GT lacks some premium car features, but it's also $15K+ cheaper than most premium cars/SUV's.

Specifically missing items include lights on all door switches (other than drivers window switch), auto down/up feature (on the other passenger windows, from what I've read here since I've never noticed), rear A/C vents at back of console, power passenger seat, first aid kit in trunk, and the fancy Mercedes/Lexus-like customer lounges in service department.

Back