New Lexus totally rips off Mazda 3 styling... in my opinion

Lexus ripping off the Mazda 3....? Wow!

2012 Lexus CT Hybrid:
g_ext13_CT-224.jpg

This Lexus copies very many styling cues from the Mazda 3. The more you study it, the more Mazda 3 you see in it. Amazing. There is a LOT of Mazda 3 in there.

So now I feel even that much better buying a "cheap" Mazda 3, apparently the styling is good enough for Lexus to copy. Soon everyone will think I'm driving a Lexus. Nice!

And, the Mazda 3 still looks better anyway.

g_ext4_CT-178.jpg

I was just tellin' the same thing to my best friend the other day!!! The back especially looks mazda infulenced.

I saw the commercial on tv and thought that they had combined the styling of a Mazdaspeed3 and a body of a Chevy HHR. It makes me sad :(

Yeah, they pretty much copied the Mazda 3 as much as possible but made it more plump. But gee... the rear side window line, the curved body line just above the rocker panel, the shape of the tail lights, and much more... it's almost like they were trying to make it obvious that they were ripping off the Mazda 3. Lexus and Mazda are not affiliated, right? I wonder if Mazda can sue Lexus for so severely ripping off their styling. When I first saw the commercial on TV I was like, "awesome, a new Mazda 3 commercial!"... and then they said "Lexus" and I was like WTF?!?!?!?!

Well, next time I go to a fancy party where I might need to impress people, all I have to do is stick a Lexus badge on the front of my MS3 and no one will question it for a second.

What's sad too, the Lexus CT Hybrid is merely a super slow... hybrid. In a way it's almost like an insult to the Mazda 3. Too bad it wasn't a super fast mini-sport wagon thing... now that would have actually been cool. Our MazdaSpeed3s still would have cooked them anyway I'm sure.

But, man, it's been a while since I've seen such a blatant styling rip-off. There's no doubt though that the Mazda3 5-door is a VERY unique and sporty design.... I guess it was just a matter of time before someone else ripped it off. I LOVE the look of my MS3, such an awesome car.

Last edited:
well to me it looks like a rebadged matrix with a prius engine
its similar to what they did with the HS250 - its a rebadged corolla

honestly, its a hatch, every hatch is gonna look similar
just like a minivan - there's only so much you can do to it
there are some lines that look a like - the bottom rear line linking up to the rear wheels, for example

but to say lexus is biting mazda, cmon now
its a matrix people

Last edited:
the thing is so small it's crazy...and yea styling definately a combo of alot of other brands for sure.!

Ok, so maybe it is a Matrix, but did you notice the not-so-subtle stying change in the 2009 and 2010 Matrix? They started copying much earlier than the Lexus CT.

I don't see much of the latest Mazda 3 in the Lexus CT... It has many influences, for example, c-pillar looks like Nissan Murano, the rear/front bumper sharp edges is the new Toyota design, the area between the rear lights is Toyota Venza alike... maybe the fuel door is copying Mazda 3??? :D

I hadn't noticed the similarities before. But now that you've pointed it out, I can't NOT see it.

I think its somewhat of a compliment to Mazda really!! but in the grand skeem of things, how much different can you really make a hatchback car look different from all the others?!

I drive a 2010 MS3...and to say the Lexus plagiarized the Mazda...is NOT true..the lexus really looks better than the MS3...as someone above mentioned...most hatches look similar..due to the aerodynamic design....but nope hardly similar (or same)...the rear window is more sleeker than the MS3..its looks more of cross between a venza and a matrix...the side aerodynamics is similar to a mazda hatch..but that's the aerodynamic design...so Hell the lexus looks better...and lets not forget the fkin smile for a MS3..the fkin designer should burn in hell.

I hope the mazda guys go berzerk on these fools for "stealing their design cues" lmao go get em Mazda

Back