New Headlights

GNO said:
I'm with creednet69. The gaurantee doesn't mean much if you have to go through the inconvenience of swapping bulbs still.

Is it that the bulbs are cheap or that the mounting causes so much vibration that the bulbs go out prematurely? Perhaps wiring or heat issues?

I too have gone through more bulbs than I'd like. Not just Sylvania Silverstars, but the stock bulbs and OEM style replacements like Philips and Wagner.

I've goinge thourgh about 4 aftermarket bulbs and I've always gone back to my stock ones. The stick one's always work no matter what... You'r having the same problem with OEM one's?

Sadly enough, I'm having prety good success with APC hyper white bulbs (they were cheap so I figured why not give them a try). They're slightly whiter than stock, but definitely not blue-ish. And they've lasted for a year now. My silverstars only lasted about 6 months.

For Canadians:

I have a theory as to why the bulbs do not last as long with the Protege's. I believe it has to do with the way our daytime running lights are set up. They use the low beams instead of the high beams and the current going to the DRL's is not much less than the current going to the regular low beam. Hence the low beam is on all the time thereby greatly reducing the life of the bulb.

My old Eagle Summit had the DRL's on the high beams and there was a huge difference with the amount of current between the two. That is the DRL highs were quite dimmer than the standard lows. These were 9004 bulbs. The SilverStars I had in there were at least 2 years old and were still working when I traded the car.

If we could find a way to rewire our DRL's to operate on the high beams and with less current draw than it already has, then we would have longer lasting bulbs.

But that's just a theory. I may look into this more when it is warmer outside.

I can't explain the American Protege's though. Maybe just unlucky with the bulbs (bad batch or something?)

Ok, the fogs have arrived and will be installed in a little bit. I'll try to have pictures up tonight, but my gf and I are celebrating valentines day tonight (our schedules didn't allow for it on monday) so it is possible that I won't be able to.

Wrote up a how-to with pictures for replacing the bulbs. http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1523069#post1523069

Here are the pics I took, they are not very good, but will give you an idea of what the bulbs look like.

They are definitely brighter than the stock ones, even though they are 55 watts. I love the way the yellow looks.

the 2nd pic is the stock fog. the 3rd pic is the new fog.

Attachments

• IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,346
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,094
Last edited:
more picsIt is hard to tell in the pictures what light is coming from the normal headlights because they light up so much, so it looks like it's just ambient light. I am definitely very satisfied with the bulbs. The low beams and highbeams change between a sharp white and a clean blue, depending on the angle, so they look a lot like HID's.

www.luminics.net 1 yr warranty on all bulbs.
low beams -super white 55w
high beams -super white 55w
fogs -JDM yellow 55w

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 761
Wow, you have luminics for your headlights too? THey look hids. im definatly liking your set up!

thanks, I'm really happy with them. And they are cheap, too, less than $25 per set. The company also sent me three LED keychains and 3 decals. I put one on my computer, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 886
Do they reflect blue when off during the day in the housing?

FlyinMSP said:
Osram Silverstar last forever, even longer than OEM...

Isn't the only difference between the Osram and Silvania Silverstars the color of the glass? Why would the Osrams last a long time when the Silvania version burn out really quickly?

Suomi said:
Isn't the only difference between the Osram and Silvania Silverstars the color of the glass? Why would the Osrams last a long time when the Silvania version burn out really quickly?

Actually, they are totally different products. The Osram are made in Germany for the European market

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84063&highlight=osram+silverstar

http://danielsternlighting.com/

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/index.php
Best buy according to Auto Express (UK)

jonlong said:
After trying several different brands of headlights, sylvania, streetglow, apc, etc...I finally got fed up w/ crappy lights that burn out too fast. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to get HID's at this point. My friend reccomended Luminics (www.luminics.net) and they are guaranteed for one year against burn outs. I ordered the 55/60w Super White H7 for the lows, the 55/60w Super White 9005 for the highs, and the 55w JDM yellow for the fogs. They look great on my buddy's car and I'll post pics as soon as I get them in and installed on my car. I'm looking forward to a light bulb that lasts longer than 2 months.

Dunno...I have no clue what the hell you guys do to your cars to destroy them so easily.

I am on the original set of fog bulbs and headlight bulbs and am nearing 23k miles. Original battery. The only thing replaced was a faulty alarm module.

What are you guys doing to burn out light bulbs?

mazdap5driver, the stock headlights do last a long time. I still have my stock headlights in the garage to use when a set of aftermarket bulbs burn out. Aftermarket bulbs tend to burn out more quickly because they are either cheaper, burn too hot, or a combination of the two. Aftermarket bulbs, such as the osram silverstars and hopefully these Luminics bulbs, are much brighter than stock and will last a long time.

Back