New gas tank installed, lost a gallon or so of gas out of what appeared to be the che

mazdamom49

:
2002 Protege ES
I just had a new gas tank installed in my 02 ES Thursday. Thought I was still loosing gas so I filled it up today before I went to work. Was at work 40 minutes and someone told me something was running out of the bottom of my car. I went out and sure enough, I had lost about a quart or so of gas and it was still almost running out. A guy was there who clamped the hose because it was coming out of my check valve. He had some copper tubing that he fitted in between where the check valve was so I could get home. I lost about a gallon +. He said a couple pieces of rusted metal came out as well. Was it just the check valve, or could it be something else as well? It hasn't leaked since he fastened on the copper tubing. pcb posted a diagram of the gas tank on 8-13-13, they were talking about a charcoal canister, is that the part the check valve is attached to? I can't copy the diagram onto my post. I can't find a diagram that labels all the different components.

Thanks, concept, but it isn't.
I looked under the car last night and didn't see gas on any other lines or any where else that would indicate that it was leaking somewhere else and seeming to come out of the check valve. So, today I ordered a check valve from Mazda and I'll get it and have it installed tomorrow.
I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this particular situation. I probably over reacted, but it's pretty disconcerting to see a steady flow of gas coming out of the back of your car.
Thanks though!

Luckily it wasn't coming from the front. Last week I saw a totally destroyed SUV that obviously had an engine fire.

Well, when I saw the gas coming out of the back Sunday, I was hoping someone would throw a cigarette or match under it.
But, whoever posted back in 2013 that it wasn't the check valve, was right. My overflow reservoir is filled with gas, so one of the air hoses was being filled with gas and had no where to go but through the check valve. Hence no indication of a gas leak on the outside of anything. And since pieces of rusted metal came out of the hose as well, then who knows what's clogging the reservoir. But it's also causing hesitation and hiccupping in acceleration and acting like it's out of gas.
I'm going out of town for a few days, and it's in the shop. I will post the results when I get back.
Have a good weekend! :)

Fixed the gas leak and hiccupping and stalling

I got the leaking gas fixed, it was the air vent solenoid valve, a cool $180 and two hours labor. I have no idea where on the car that part is, and I've looked at so many diagrams of the gas tank area. Then the hiccuping and stalling started and not being able to get more than 1/2 a gallon at a time into the car. Meanwhile, both overflow canisters were filled with gas. Then they told me it was the vapor canister under the gas tank that needed to be replaced. Got a used one off Car-Part.com for $42, including shipping. Had that replaced last week, I still feel subtle stutters with gas in the tank and the feeling like it's going to run out of gas when the gas light comes on, especially when I make left turns. And, my mpg is still a third less than before all this started. I don't understand why I had none of these problems before I had the gas tank replaced. All of these things seemed to be working perfectly before I did that. And, through all this, I had no CEL. I don't understand that either, there was obviously something wrong and no CEL. Any suggestions??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back