New CX5 owner!

hikewv

:
2016.5 Mazda CX5 AWD GT w/Active Sense
Just bought my 2016.5 last night and I love it. (yippy)

I have been reading these forums for awhile and have learned a lot.
It really helped to know what to look for and its funny when the dealer realizes you already know more then they probably do :)

It really helped to know what to look for and its funny when the dealer realizes you already know more then they probably do :)

Congrats! Ironically, neither I nor my dealer know a damn thing about the CX5 when I bought it. Through luck, and through planning, here we both are. I've been quite pleased with mine, and am sure you will be, as well, with yours. Welcome!

I knew more about the changes to the 2016 model I bought than the salesman. But I didn't hold it against him as he was a decent fellow.

Welcome to the forum! And I know what you mean about knowing more about the products than those who sell them! Happened to me on my last 3 new vehicle purchases (including the CX-5). The salesman I dealt with when buying my '93 VW Eurovan was actually a true expert so I can't say the same about him.

It baffles me why a car salesman would be so lame regarding learning about the products they sell. I've always taken pride in my work and this made every job I've ever had more fun (and ultimately, more profitable). My observation is that car sales attracts people who are below average at most other jobs and have no particular job skills other than being able to wear a dress shirt, smile at (hopefully) appropriate times and be generally pleasant to the customers. But it wouldn't kill them to take a little pride in knowing about their products beyond what they learned in the glossy sales brochure.

Imagine how much more effective a salesman on a Mazda lot could be when a potential buyer is looking at an AWD CX-5. He could say, "Did you know the Mazda AWD is predictive and is designed to kick in before the tires slip?". "Yes, the (name the competitor the customer is cross shopping) is a reactive system that waits until it detects wheel slippage before directing power to the rear but the Mazda system uses data streams from 27 sensors sampled 200 times a second to actual prevent wheel slippage before it happens. Pretty amazing."

I'm not talking about hard sell, just being enthused about the products they sell (and having some interesting facts to back it up). This can go a long ways towards keeping your potential customers from buying an inferior vehicle for essentially the same amount of money. I would talk up the rigid chassis and how it contributes not only to safety but it's crisp driving dynamics. If only salesman would take a little pride in their chosen profession. In other words, if only they would do their job well.

Ah, but now I'm dreaming, eh? Anyway, congrats on your new car!

Welcome to our new member! Glad to hear that you are excited and took them time to look over the features.

Lots of sales folks know very little about their product in some areas. It is a combination of the fact that most of these people are not technical folks, but they are relationship folks. Some of the best sales people out there know nothing of what they are selling, but they know how to sell it. I defiantly think there is a lot to the lack of enthusiasm though. I can only imagine it being rough on commission style sales people.

I never understand salesman with a lack of knowledge of what they sell. I can see some of the sales guys for bigger manufacturers, ford, chevy, Toyota that have many more models and trim options then mazda does but there is no excuse for not knowing basic things about the cars you sell, especially mazda since they only have a handful of models. In the sage of the internet that we live in, there is so much information out there and a sales person should be able to sell the features of a vehicle to a need of the customer. Why is the person interested in the model, what is there intended use? Then the sales person should be able to talk to the features of that vehicle that meets their needs better then the competition. I don't care about building a relationship with a sales person that I won't deal with again for awhile, I want them to "sell" me the car I'm looking at. Reading the window sticker to me is not selling to me.

I never understand salesman with a lack of knowledge of what they sell. I can see some of the sales guys for bigger manufacturers, ford, chevy, Toyota that have many more models and trim options then mazda does but there is no excuse for not knowing basic things about the cars you sell, especially mazda since they only have a handful of models. In the sage of the internet that we live in, there is so much information out there and a sales person should be able to sell the features of a vehicle to a need of the customer. Why is the person interested in the model, what is there intended use? Then the sales person should be able to talk to the features of that vehicle that meets their needs better then the competition. I don't care about building a relationship with a sales person that I won't deal with again for awhile, I want them to "sell" me the car I'm looking at. Reading the window sticker to me is not selling to me.

Well, you may have met a new salesman. They hit us with a TON of info, and you have to pass all these tests in X many weeks, and it really is a lot to retain. You have to remember, there are 2-3 brands, typically, and dozens of models, that the sales rep must internalize data on, and you know? A good sales rep does know the product, but they may care less about it. They are PEOPLE PEOPLE, and they can find out what they don't know. Most sales reps I know sell first off of emotion and building rapport, and second off of product knowledge. I have sold vehicles I knew jack and s*** about, simply because the buyer liked me. I had one guy buy a truck from me that he had us put leather and an overhead console in, just because he wanted to buy from ME. He bought an F150 XL model, when another dealer could have sold him the XLT just like he wanted, for the same price as what we quoted him after the aftermarket work (FYI, I was very impressed with the work when I picked it up for him!).

You may not care about the personal rapport aspect, but many MANY customers do. Most do. I would wager you are a vast minority in that aspect. Also, I would wager that no-matter what, you would know more than your sales rep, because you seem a "technical" type, and would likely show up only requiring a test drive, and deal, if you liked it. Not a ton of discussion not about money to be had with you, is my guess, because you already have sold yourself (or not) on the vehicle you are there to so.

...just because he wanted to buy from ME. He bought an F150 XL model, when another dealer could have sold him the XLT just like he wanted, for the same price as what we quoted him after the aftermarket work (FYI, I was very impressed with the work when I picked it up for him!).

That makes no sense unless maybe he was gay and had a massive crush on you. Otherwise he should have bought the XLT for the same price! He didn't ask you to "test out the leather" with him after he picked it up? (wink)

I had a 2013 Focus with a stick and I thought I was going to be taking a "hit" on the driving experience. I just got my CX-5 a few days ago and I dont have any regrets. The thing drives great, the 6 speed auto tranny shifts like nothing I have ever felt, its so precise.

The thing drives great, the 6 speed auto tranny shifts like nothing I have ever felt, its so precise.

Awesome! I've always said the 6 speed Skyactiv auto is telepathic. I have to wonder about the handful of people that say they don't get along with it!

Enjoy the new wheels!

Awesome! I've always said the 6 speed Skyactiv auto is telepathic. I have to wonder about the handful of people that say they don't get along with it!

Enjoy the new wheels!

Yes the transmission with its direct drive feel, the Manual Mode, and the telepathic shifting by throttle, I quickly forget what it was I ever disliked about automatics?

Welcome and Enjoy your new ride! (we all enjoy a pic too if you got one)

Last edited:
Back