New CX-90 Phev owner

Hi all,

Just picked up a cx90 phev a couple weeks ago in the nice beige color {platinum quartz). coming from a 2020 honda pilot lease i have to admit i miss all the space and the nooks and crannies to put my things in. even with the 6 inch addition in length the mazda feels a lot smaller.

So far I've been pretty happy with it, the only complaints that i have are that i cant get the remote start on the app to work yet and no matter how long i charge it in my garage on the 110v i cant get it to more than 21 mile range, even at 100% charge. my commute to work is 8 miles each way so it works for me, but wth? I'd like to get what was advertised right?

Anyway if anyone had any questions I'd be happy to answer them, or if you had any advice for my issues id be happy to hear them as well.

PS I chose the middle trim with the homelink, i cant believe we have to upgrade from the base trim for homelink on a $50k+ vehicle these days.

Welcome and congrats on the CX-90! Great intro...Got pics of the new ride? It would be great to see that platinum quartz color. Also...Any plans for accessories and or upgrades?

Hi all,

Just picked up a cx90 phev a couple weeks ago in the nice beige color {platinum quartz). coming from a 2020 honda pilot lease i have to admit i miss all the space and the nooks and crannies to put my things in. even with the 6 inch addition in length the mazda feels a lot smaller.

So far I've been pretty happy with it, the only complaints that i have are that i cant get the remote start on the app to work yet and no matter how long i charge it in my garage on the 110v i cant get it to more than 21 mile range, even at 100% charge. my commute to work is 8 miles each way so it works for me, but wth? I'd like to get what was advertised right?

Anyway if anyone had any questions I'd be happy to answer them, or if you had any advice for my issues id be happy to hear them as well.

PS I chose the middle trim with the homelink, i cant believe we have to upgrade from the base trim for homelink on a $50k+ vehicle these days.
I had one as a loaner this past week. Had the same issue, I placed it to charge for 2 hours and only got 5 miles on the battery. Also the acceleration was horrible when the battery was not charged.

I had one as a loaner this past week. Had the same issue, I placed it to charge for 2 hours and only got 5 miles on the battery. Also the acceleration was horrible when the battery was not charged.
It takes 11 hours to fully charge. I have not experienced that on acceleration.

On level one charge 5 miles in two hours is about right. The electric motors will still provide torque for acceleration even if batteries are drained, so yes you had a lemon. Your fist statement only 5 miles after two hours gave you away. If you want faster charging you need a level 2 charger. Your experience is not what most people are having.

update: i've been charging it almost everyday and the range has slowly come up to 25 mpg on a full charge, but more like 23-25 depending on the day, and the remote start still doesnt work

so far i've gotten the car ceramic coated, tinted the windows including the sunroof, and installed the dongar dash cam adapter.

Remote Start is misleading for PHEV. There is no remote start. You can turn on the climate control with your app. If you have it plugged in while you turn on the AC, you won't use up the battery power while it cools the car.

Just brought home my new 2024 CX-90 PHEV. Wonderful car. OMG. Incredibly impressive. I have been charging with a ChargePoint Home Charger with 240v / 50 amp line. Previously had a 2022 Lincoln Corsair GT PHEV so had the charger installed in 2022. It charges in 2 hours to 100%. I have been getting 30 miles range on that battery. I'm averaging 89 MPG according to the information screen that shows you the data. I have no issue with acceleration, ride or anything else. It's a great vehicle. I'll post photos but it is that new dark red paint with the white interior. Really sharp.

Just brought home my new 2024 CX-90 PHEV. Wonderful car. OMG. Incredibly impressive. I have been charging with a ChargePoint Home Charger with 240v / 50 amp line. Previously had a 2022 Lincoln Corsair GT PHEV so had the charger installed in 2022. It charges in 2 hours to 100%. I have been getting 30 miles range on that battery. I'm averaging 89 MPG according to the information screen that shows you the data. I have no issue with acceleration, ride or anything else. It's a great vehicle. I'll post photos but it is that new dark red paint with the white interior. Really sharp.
@heywardjr Welcome and thanks for sharing your impression so far, that‘s great to know…Looking forward to those CX-90 pics! 😁

Remote start is an interesting term when discussing EV cars. EV cars are really on all the time and they go into sleep mode (my term) when parked/charging. I love that part of PHEVs because I can plug in my level 2 charger, tell the car to cool the interior and expect the vehicle compressor to use the plug in hybrid side to power that AC unit. Brilliant. All can be controlled by the mobile app. This car is very impressive and slick the way they have implemented things.

Remote start is an interesting term when discussing EV cars. EV cars are really on all the time and they go into sleep mode (my term) when parked/charging. I love that part of PHEVs because I can plug in my level 2 charger, tell the car to cool the interior and expect the vehicle compressor to use the plug in hybrid side to power that AC unit. Brilliant. All can be controlled by the mobile app. This car is very impressive and slick the way they have implemented things.
@heywardjr Hey just doing some CX90 PHEV research. I have a CX9 now and I rarely use remote start because if the climate control wasn’t on when I got home, it won’t be on when I start the car. Does the app have more functionality for the 90? Can you set the interior temp in the car or turn on heated steering wheel/seats? Thanks and congrats on the new car!

@heywardjr Hey just doing some CX90 PHEV research. I have a CX9 now and I rarely use remote start because if the climate control wasn’t on when I got home, it won’t be on when I start the car. Does the app have more functionality for the 90? Can you set the interior temp in the car or turn on heated steering wheel/seats? Thanks and congrats on the new car!
No, the app is good but perhaps they could add more functionality. You can tell it to condition the car while plugged in and you will hear the heat pump working. Remote start is a misnomer as mentioned above. EVs are always "STARTED". I have to get used to calling the car and EV but it really is in that most of the time it is favoring the EV side and using the engine for boost or when out of EV miles.

I have found my EV miles fluctuate a little. Sometimes it's 28 while others 27 but a few times I had a 30. I think it is based on your driving pattern.

As for the comment about charging with 110. I think that car needs to be looked at as that should be getting the same EV miles even if using 110v plug. It just takes much longer. I suggest getting a ChargePoint Home Flex charger and have an electrician run a 220/240v line, if possible so you can truly charge in 2 hours.

Side note, many power companies today are starting to offer dual power plans whereby you get electricity at a much cheaper rate at night so you can charge an EV,. They require you, usually, to prove you have an EV or PHEV to get that rate. My power company is NOVEC and I cut some of my power bill by switching plans. I charge my car at 11:00PM when the special rate kicks in until 6am. I run my pool pump during that time and run the dish washer too. I now use most of my electricity (60% during that cheaper rate period). It is worth looking into what options they offer.

As for the car with the poor acceleration, that is just not normal as mine has been fine since day one. Most likely the transmission needs to have the firmware flashed/reset.

@heywardjr Welcome and thanks for sharing your impression so far, that‘s great to know…Looking forward to those CX-90 pics! 😁
Sorry, I keep forgetting. The car is utterly gorgeous. I have to say I am extremely pleased with Mazda engineering and design. They kicked butt on the CX-90 and I can't wait to see the CX-70 coming in 2024. I am so glad I researched other PHEVs when looking around. I had limited myself to Ford/Lincoln and GM and that was a mistake since GM decided stupidly to not develop their own PHEV cars. Ford does well with the Lincoln Corsair GT PHEV except for quality control issues. I should have looked at Toyota and Mazda earlier on in my car buying decision making. Once I saw the CX-90, that was it. Awesome SUV in so many incredible ways.

Latest posts

Back