New CX-9, did I get a good deal?

T.Narley

Just bought a 2008 AWD CX-9 Grand Touring (yippy) . Every option minus the entertainment system, nav, and bsm. It is replacing the wife's 2004 AWD Honda CR-V. It was a dealer "demo" driven by the owner of the dealer for 5,000 miles. Minus a small suff here or there, it looks/smells like a brand new car.

They wanted 34,995 down from the sticker of 37,998. They offered 9,000 for the trade. I told them I wouldnt take less than 12 for the trade, and I'd pay no more than 31k for the CX-9.

They quickly came up to 12 for the trade, but kept counter-offering for the CX-9. After an hour of me saying "my offer is 31, not a penny more" the weekend sales manager said "we can do 31,750, but not 31". I said "that's too bad because I'm only offering 31".

He suggested we "meet in the middle" and I had to thank him but refuse, saying "you know what my offer is, will you take it or not?" He said "no".

We left. Next morning the lead sales manager called saying they could put me in the S-plan and get me the truck for 34,500 with 3,500 in rebates putting me at 31, but only if I'd take delivery before the 31st.

I bought it. Good deal? Bad deal?

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

Congratulations on your new CX-9!

I won't comment on the deal other than to say most of the time the discount on a demonstrator is not adequate compensation for the dealer's use of the vehicle.

Apparently, some dealers are doing very deep discounting at the moment. Personally, I would have tried for brand-spanking-new and worked backwards if that proved unrealistic.

One thing's for sure. BSMS is a must have. It makes the vehicle complete from a safety standpoint. I wouldn't have dealt on a Grand Touring without BSMS, period.

You asked for honest feedback (I presume), so please don't take my post as an attack. I bought in early May, and what was a good deal then is $2K too much today. It's really hard to do badly on a CX-9 right now.

If you check out Edmunds.com, their forums quote people getting about 7k off of MSRP. I called one of the dealers listed and in 5 minutes, he matched the price the poster said he got (33200 for a 40825MSRP). Mind you, this dealer is located in the Bay area, and that means I need to fly in and pick it up. Local dealers would not match, asking 1.2k higher.

Seems like they are blowing these cars out now. 31k for that car is a good deal, like the previous poster said, but not as good as what some people elsewhere in the country are enjoying. Mind you, even 3 months ago, 31k for that car was unheard of. But for 2.2K more, I am getting GT Assist, DVD RSES, BSM and towing in a new car.

As for BSM, never had it in any car I've ever owned (only in the one I am about to pick up). Never had an accident either.

BTW, if you don't had BSM, what are those white stripes on your rear view mirrors for? I thought those were the sensors - are they just turn signals?

Honest opinions here....

With 5K miles from the dealer, that seems rather high. That would have deprecieated it at least a few thousand more in my book.

I paid less 3 months ago for my fully loaded AWD GT with everything but rear entertainment, without including my trade-in.

Oiler11, those reflectors on the mirrors are directional turning signals. The BSM sensors are in the rear bumper, invisible under the plastic.

Thanks for the honest comments guys. I have a feeling that some of the differences in opinion are due to regional issues. The cars are selling very well in my area and there is no way they were going to cut 7k off the MSRP on a new vehicle.

Keep in mind that my intent was to settle for a 2wd sport due to budget concerns (building a house soon). I came to the 31k number because that was the absolute maximum I could spend on a car. Not a penny more.

But for 2.2K more, I am getting GT Assist, DVD RSES, BSM and towing in a new car.

That's awsesome, but it's 2.2k more than I could spend.

It would have been nice to get the vehicle for less money, but I shopped around and talked to a couple dealers. There werent any who were even remotely interested in selling a GT for Sport prices. Not even for someone ready to write a check . A couple grand max off sticker was about average.

Understood. You'll love it!

(P.S. the NAV system sucks, so be happy you saved the $)

BTW, it has the power moon roof, which the wife wanted far more than a back seat DVD player (the DVD system is not available on units that have the moonroof option).

Are there any engine performance options available yet? Even something as simple as a K&N filter?

The important thing when buying a new car is to do your homework, set fair prices for trade and new. and STICK TO THEM, like you did. Dealers count on people being too excited to get a new car to ever walk away from a bad deal.
We traded out 99 CR-V for a 07 Sport. as usual they kept trying to give us way too little for the Honda, treating me like I was being unrealistic. At one point they even tried selling me an Edge instead (ick). I wouldn't budge, and rather than let me leave, they finally met my numbers. Beat them by $100, in fact. If everyone did that, we'd all have an easier time buying cars.

Get some roof rails on that '9 though. looks bare.

SUPER easy to install. Just be careful of the little tab on the covers. Remove them carefully.

Dealer, Wayne Mazda, Finishline Performance, etc

All this is another thread

Congrats! I think you received a pretty solid deal, but I'm sure there will be other dealers out there selling for less at some point.

Right now I'm working with a dealership local to me on a new '08 Grand Touring model. If we can make the numbers work, we'll likely be picking it up next week!

Just FYI for those who wish to compare. Got offered this dealer demo this weekend...

2008 CX 9 GT: All Wheel Drive, Copper Red Mica, Black Interior,
Compass/AutoDim Mirror with Homelink, Sirius Satellite Radio, MoonRoof/Bose and GT Assist Package
4600 miles

$33800 OTD.

I was looking for a brand new one and didn't take it.
Any thoughts on the price?

Just FYI for those who wish to compare. Got offered this dealer demo this weekend...

Compass/AutoDim Mirror with Homelink, Sirius Satellite Radio, MoonRoof/Bose and GT Assist Package
4600 miles

$33800 OTD.

Tell them you can get a new one for 28 so you will offer 26ish+TTL whatever that is where you are. OTD is not a good measure beacase of all the factors. Only allow for a sub100 doc fee and a small title transfer fee if any for the state.

4600 miles

$33800 OTD.

Too high, IMO. We bought the brand new '08 GT I mentioned above that's equipped just like the one you're looking at, except for the Moonroof/Bose and GT Assist. We paid $28.5k + TTL. So, the one you're looking at has about $4200 more in options, so even quoting those at retail prices you should still be no higher than $32.7k + TTL, and that's for a NEW CX9. I'd keep looking or make them drop that price at least $2-3k.

Back