New CX-5 Owner

:
Mazda 2016 CX-5
This may seem crazy but tomorrow I'm picking up my new, 2016, CX-5 GT, Pearl white and trading in my 2014, BMW 228i, MSport, manual trans. Just got tired of the BMW thing and finding myself needing four doors and something a bit easier to get in and out of(a medical thing). Decided on a small suv and just fell in love with, actually a CX-3. Made a last minute switch to the 5 because of additional room and horsepower. Looking forward to picking up my new baby tomorrow.

I don't think it's crazy. You need something that works for your lifestyle, and I've always felt that Mazda has been kind of like a budget-BMW in they're pretty good about infusing most of their vehicles with some measure of driving fun. Before picking up my 2014 Mazda CX-5, I test drove the Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, and XV Crosstrek. The CX-5 definitely had the best handling feel of that quartet.

I got tired sliding down to get in and sliding & squirming up to get out of my Toyota Corolla.
(I was also past due upgrading from a 1990 vehicle with no safety features.)

HAPPY MOTORING!

Good for you! I traded in a 2009 BMW X-6 on my 2016 AWD Touring - could NOT get rid of that thing quickly enough! Owned it a week; found out that the seller screwed me ROYALLY - it had a catastrophic oil leak from SOMEWHERE on the front of the engine - my tech gave me a $2,500 estimate for THAT repair, and recommended that I replace the PLASTIC hard lines that went to both turbos as well for ANOTHER $2,500 - Goodbye and good riddance!

Could NOT be happy enough w/my decision!

Congrats Man! looks like you're in my area. Where did you find the best deal at on the CX-5? Feel free to PM me if needed...Thanks and enjoy your new ride!

Enjoy!!! You are gonna love it. I think CX-5 is going to be one of the first cars where my factory warranty lapse is based on mileage versus time.

I've driven a $70k BMW X5 and I have a CX5 and there is no doubt that the BMW is more "luxurious" and has a quieter cabin BUT the CX5 is very competitive as it has many features the $70k X5 did not have. One things for sure is the BMW would be a nightmare to keep after the warranty period. It was brand new, twin turbo and the entire engine compartment is getting an oil mist all over the engine bay. Hard to say where it's coming from but the complexity and expense of twin turbos and a German car would be a nightmare after warranty is up.

The X5 is faster (330hp - requires premium gas) but the CX5 is more fun to drive and for a 4 cylinder it feels very peppy and hence the whole "zoom zoom" thing. The CX5 will out corner and handle the X5. In a straight line the X5 would destroy the CX5 but that's an apple to oranges comparison.

Long term reliability is much better on a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder than a turbo car. That is also why I did not look at Ford Escapes because the turbo thing scares me for long term reliability and cost of ownership. Keep it simple.

I really enjoy my CX5 and just got tired of getting in and out off "full size" vehicles that required me to squat, back in, sit and swing legs in. I won't even discuss getting out. I can get in and out of my CX5 with dignity and it is so fun to drive. Ed

Picked it up about two hours ago. Folks at Keffer Mazda were fantastic. Love , love, love the thing. Electric assist power steering is much better that in the BMW, much more road feel. Programing the Garage Door opener was a bit of a pain but finally got it to work. Only thing, there does not appear to be a lot of interior storage compartments, places to keep CDs and such. Am I missing something here. But still love it, so far do not miss the BMW a bit. And quality seems to be every bit the equal to the BMW.. So so far very very happy CX-5 owner here.

You're not missing anything. There is a shortage of storage space. Hope it will be corrected at the next major re-do. I use a thumb drive for most of my music, or MP3 CD's I have burned. You can get around 10 regular CD's on one MP3 disc. I have a CD holder that will hold 24 CD's, so that's the equivalent of around 240 CD's.

Last edited:
I use thumbdrives for short trips.
For long trips I bring along my Classic iPod 160GB, 26,660 songs and counting.
f_sabzmoom_58d78cf.gif

Good for you! I traded in a 2009 BMW X-6 on my 2016 AWD Touring - could NOT get rid of that thing quickly enough! Owned it a week; found out that the seller screwed me ROYALLY - it had a catastrophic oil leak from SOMEWHERE on the front of the engine - my tech gave me a $2,500 estimate for THAT repair, and recommended that I replace the PLASTIC hard lines that went to both turbos as well for ANOTHER $2,500 - Goodbye and good riddance!
Could NOT be happy enough w/my decision!
The 300hp N54 3.0L twin-turbo engine found on 2009 X6 is infamous for High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failure which also affects turbo chargers. BMW announced a recall of vehicles with the pump in question from manufacturing years 2007-2010 and a class action suit has also been filed against BMW regarding these problems.

Expect waterpump, fuel pump and injector problems from the x6.

You'll need to clean the valves every 30-50k miles. BMW charge a hefty amount for valve cleaning.

Owning a BMW is about the driving experience...not the maintenance experience, lol! They are NOT cheap, and even on the BMW forums the honest people, mods included, will tell you as much. Pay to play, and if you don't want to, Toyota, Subaru, Honda, etc. will all spend less time in the shop.

Owning a BMW is about the driving experience...not the maintenance experience, lol! They are NOT cheap, and even on the BMW forums the honest people, mods included, will tell you as much. Pay to play, and if you don't want to, Toyota, Subaru, Honda, etc. will all spend less time in the shop.

Any car can have issues, I owned 4 Nissans and 2 fell apart at the 100,000 mark. Shame on me for sticking with the brand, never again. I am hoping my first overall Mazda experience will be much better, but I also agree when you pay a boat load of money you expect perfection. I have a 106,000 on my 2011 328xi and it runs as good as the day I bought it new, no issues at all. No rattles, squeaks, or burning oil. Mine is a 2011 straight six the year before they added turbos to the entire line. I would expect nothing less than 200+ miles. I am not a turbo fan although the quality has much improved in recent years.

I spent more money in maintenance on our CX5, rear brakes, alignments, and plugs at 30k? Plugs most likely a dealer rip off that I should have argued. The CX5 build QTY is no match, my hood still jumps around and flex's in the middle when hand washing. The passenger side mirror rattles again after being replaced. My biggest issue is even with the 2.5 it's a dog, and is horrible trying to pass anything but a bus! Sad thing is my wife had a finder bender and the rental car was an Escape. The Escape has the worst interior, and is uncomfortable as there is no place to put your left foot. The only positive was it moves. I think the CX5 is a good car, but for 30 grand it should be a lot quicker, more comfortable, and quieter. The seats will kill you on a 3 or more hour drive. There are many Japanese CUV's that offer more amenities for 30k and Mazda needs to catch up in this department. Trying to find the non lit window and door lock switches at night is just one ridicules cost cutting design flaw, not sure if this is fixed in 2016 models. Mazda does seem to be working hard on continuous improvement each model year, and that is very encouraging. With only 34k on ours it too soon to tell how long it will last, but I am hopefull it make 100k+ will less issues than my previous Nissans.

Any car can have issues, I owned 4 Nissans and 2 fell apart at the 100,000 mark. Shame on me for sticking with the brand, never again. I am hoping my first overall Mazda experience will be much better, but I also agree when you pay a boat load of money you expect perfection. I have a 106,000 on my 2011 328xi and it runs as good as the day I bought it new, no issues at all. No rattles, squeaks, or burning oil. Mine is a 2011 straight six the year before they added turbos to the entire line. I would expect nothing less than 200+ miles. I am not a turbo fan although the quality has much improved in recent years.

I spent more money in maintenance on our CX5, rear brakes, alignments, and plugs at 30k? That's crazy. I've done none of that except alignment with new tires. 37K miles currently. Plugs most likely a dealer rip off that I should have argued. The CX5 build QTY is no match, my hood still jumps around and flex's in the middle when hand washing. The passenger side mirror rattles again after being replaced. My biggest issue is even with the 2.5 it's a dog, and is horrible trying to pass anything but a bus! Sad thing is my wife had a finder bender and the rental car was an Escape. The Escape has the worst interior, and is uncomfortable as there is no place to put your left foot. The only positive was it moves. I think the CX5 is a good car, but for 30 grand it should be a lot quicker, more comfortable, and quieter. I agree. I'd never pay $30K for a CX-5. I don't understand loading them out. For a base/touring model though, I love it.The seats will kill you on a 3 or more hour drive. I've not had that issue. I'm 5'10.5" and 185# athletic build. YMMV There are many Japanese CUV's that offer more amenities for 30k and Mazda needs to catch up in this department. Trying to find the non lit window and door lock switches at night is just one ridicules cost cutting design flaw, not sure if this is fixed in 2016 models. Mazda does seem to be working hard on continuous improvement each model year, and that is very encouraging. With only 34k on ours it too soon to tell how long it will last, but I am hopefull it make 100k+ will less issues than my previous Nissans.

I had a 370Z and it had issues, as well. Not a Nissan fan. The CX-5 is a cheap little commuter. It does that very well. Superlatively. It's not luxury, performance, or otherwise. What it is, is a delightful little toaster that I hope keeps slogging along year after year! If you expected it to excite you...brother...you bought a cheap 4 cylinder SUV! What were you smoking? LOL!

Latest posts

Back