New CX-5 owner!

smittycx5

:
2015 CX-5 Sport AWD
Hey there, just got a brand new 2015 CX-5 Sport AWD. Upgraded from a 2012 mazda 3.
So far really loving the car and the extra power from the 2.5. Still has that little go kart feeling I got from the 3.
It's my wife's car so I haven't driven it all that much since we got it 5 days ago but this weekend we have a few errands to run so I'll be getting plenty of driving in.
Real great forum we have here, I especially like the activity over in the 'how to' section.
Plans are to:
-Get some weather tech floor liners
-Get some fog lights
-I really want to install a touch screen so I'm looking around at what's best
-Maybe install some led interior lighting
-Look around for some rx8 or speed3 stock wheels and save the cx stock wheels for winter.
I have an appointment Saturday to get all the windows save the windshield tinted at 35% compliments of the dealer.
Wanted to just say hello and give a little info, we'll maybe a lot. If anyone has any opinions on anything I listed I'd be happy to hear them. Here's a couple shots of the car. Have a good night.

a5ce34238a5354a7c51d1cea503eda25.jpg

f03a391165ca7fc8c3e95c2dc803a1a9.jpg

Congrats!! They are fun rigs!!! I've put more miles on my mine than I usually do with vehicles. Great MPG and vehicle is holding together well with no rattles.

I like the black colored exterior with silver colored wheels, looks good. Congratulations.

Plans are to:
-Get some weather tech floor liners
Although it doesn't protect driver's foot-rest, but I thought Mazda's OEM all-weather floor mats are pretty good. You can get those on-line which is much cheaper than Weather Tech. Get a Mazda's OEM cargo tray too. Congrats!

Although it doesn't protect driver's foot-rest, but I thought Mazda's OEM all-weather floor mats are pretty good. You can get those on-line which is much cheaper than Weather Tech. Get a Mazda's OEM cargo tray too. Congrats!

+1 on that. Look on-line for deals on Mazda parts like these and the cargo cover too, which is very good.

Congrats and welcome. Nice looking CX5. I put the Mazda cargo area cover on and it has proven its worth.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

As far as the mazda mats, do they differ much from the weather techs? Or I should ask, are the weather techs worth the extra money?

I am definitely going to go with the mazda cargo mat, that I know won't be much of a difference other than price. One of the main reasons for upgrading from the 3 was to be able to use the cargo space so I want to keep it protected, and we have dogs, so there's another reason.

Congratulations!

What made you (or your wife) decide on the CX-5? I always like hearing why people chose this particular model.

Dragonteeth..

My wife loves mazda, this is her third, and I'm beginning to really like them myself. I do love the gas mileage.

But to answer your question, we wanted an suv, sorry, crossover to be able to haul more things around. Also we have dogs that were a pain in the little car. We also plan on beginning a family soon, so there's that.

We wanted all these things but still wanted to retain the amazing gas mileage we get with the skyactiv without being part of the hybrid crowd. No offense to anyone with a hybrid, just not my jam.

She really wanted a cx9 but it was a bit out of our price range and we're not in need of that much room yet. I have a truck so anything the cx5 can't handle I can bring the truck.

I'm also a relatively big guy at 6'1 220lbs and although I thought I fit fine in the mazda 3 my wife kept telling me I looked goofy in it. The cx5 is much more comfy for me so maybe she was right.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

As far as the mazda mats, do they differ much from the weather techs? Or I should ask, are the weather techs worth the extra money?

I am definitely going to go with the mazda cargo mat, that I know won't be much of a difference other than price. One of the main reasons for upgrading from the 3 was to be able to use the cargo space so I want to keep it protected, and we have dogs, so there's another reason.
Med Center Mazda (sponsor of this board, see top of the page)
Mazda CX-5 All Weather Floor Mats (set of 4): $74.09
Mazda CX-5 Cargo Tray: $58.50
Mazda CX-5 Soft Cargo Liner: $86.67

WeatherTech:
Mazda 2016 CX-5 FloorLiner DigitalFit: $179.90
Mazda 2016 CX-5 Cargo Liner: $119.95

WeatherTech has more color choices (gray? Mazda doesn't offer any gray interior). Its driver floor mat covers "half" of the foot rest. The rear mats cover the center hump. But I think Mazda's mats look nicer with "CX-5" logo on front mats. It's also $105 cheaper!

BTW, some people believe rubber-ish cargo tray may be too slippery for dogs. They suggest Mazda's Soft Cargo Liner which protects rear seat backs, and protects rear bumper with a removable bumper flap.

Congratulations!

What made you (or your wife) decide on the CX-5? I always like hearing why people chose this particular model.

Your question was asked of another poster, but I'll answer it as well. I'd never driven a Mazda till I was "up-graded" by a rental company to a CX-5. I loved it. It was fun to drive, and even after long days behind the wheel (8 - 10 hours) I experienced no back discomfort. I liked the Blind Spot warning feature very much. I didn't let it take the place of standard careful driving and looking over my shoulder, but driving in large metropolitan areas on interstate highways it helped to reduce stress to have that extra warning. I found myself saying to the system, "Yeah, I see it, but thanks for alerting me...." Another feature of the car that "sold" me was the higher seat placement. As a "senior" with arthritis issues I like being able to get in and out of the car with ease; no more "body lift" exercises to get out! And we just plain liked the look of it! We replaced a 24 year old Toyota Camry. It was time!(2thumbs)

I had never driven, or even ridden in, as far as I can remember, a Mazda until the day I test drove and purchased my CX-5 back almost a year ago. Other than the Infotainment SMS/eMail to speech function only working 2 weeks at a time, I Love the rest of the vehicle so far. We went with the Soul Red, because every other color just seemed like a shade of grey. You know, White, to silver to silver/blue to black, pretty much just shades of grey. The only "color" was the Red. If they'd had tan, or brown, or green, or a true blue, I'd maybe considered one of those too. But, the Red has been quite nice.

Congrats on the new ride. As for floor mats go, weather tech is a fine company and have a lifetime warranty in there products. They've been in my wife Audi now for about five years and are still going strong. After the winter they look white and are all crusty from the built up road salt and everything. I just hose them off and spray some APC on them and hit me with a quick brushing and they come out looking like new.

That being said they are a bit of a name brand so they aren't cheap and not getting any cheaper. I reccomend you take a look at the Maxpider 3D mats for the CX-5. They are the same digital fit concept as the weather techs but cost a bit less. Others on here have tried them and have been very happy with them. I'm not associated with them at all just giving you a heads up.

Also there are few different rear cargo area accessories that were mentioned and I know it can be hard to keep them straight some times. There is the retractable cargo cover ($199msrp), which is handy and seems well built. It goes up when opening the trunk. I have one and like it. Then there is the rubber rear floor protector that's similar to the product that weather tech makes for the rear hatch floor. I think the oem one superior due to the fact that the sides are fully molded to sit in the pockets one side of the rear floor. There is also the soft cargo area cover which is sort of like a vinyl covered blanket that cover the entire rear hatch floor surface AND the back of the seats. You mentioned you have dogs and if they are going to be riding in the rear hatch then the soft cargo liner might be the way to go to keep the hair out of the seat backs.

Mazda OEM floor liners are made by Weathertech and weathertech's name is on the back of Mazda floor liners. I went with OEM and was surprised to see weathertech name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda OEM floor liners are made by Weathertech and weathertech's name is on the back of Mazda floor liners. I went with OEM and was surprised to see weathertech name.

I did not know that. I do like the OEM mats though.

Last edited:
"floor liners"? Are you talking about Mazda's all weather floor mats AND cargo tray? Or just one of them? I'd be very surprised too as they looked so different!

The oem all weather floor mats in the U.S. Are not the same as the oem floor liners they have in Canada. The Canadian ones are made by weather tech. They basically are the exact same as the aftermarket liners except instead of the weather tech logo in the little box it has Mazda and/or cx-5. The U.S. All weather mats are just mats, not liners so they don't cover as much especially up the sides.

Thanks for that clarification ride92. Got a little excited for a minute there.

I think I am going to go with the weathertech liners set. As far as cargo area I am going to look into the soft cover mat. You say it covers the back of the seats, so I assume that when I fold those back seats down it protects that whole area from the bumper to the top of the seats? That's really nice.

I think I am going to go with the weathertech liners set. As far as cargo area I am going to look into the soft cover mat. You say it covers the back of the seats, so I assume that when I fold those back seats down it protects that whole area from the bumper to the top of the seats? That's really nice.
Mazda's Soft Cargo Liner will do exactly what you described. Now I was wondering if we can get Canadian version of OEM floor liners here in US?

Back