New CX 5 owner, buying experience and thoughts

$28,768 for a '16 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech? That's $3,087 below $31,855 MSRP! Lowest I've ever seen!
Just re-read my post from this morning and slightly misspoke. I forgot to mention that I didn't get the I-Activesense package. So I think that was a $1500 difference, if I'm not mistaken. Either way, still think I got a killer price on it. Just wanted to clarify which package I got and what I paid for it.
No, I didn't get misled by your post. $31,855 MSRP is for a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package WITHOUT i-ActivSense Package! $28,768 WAS the lowest price I've ever heard for such a CX-5! We paid $30,000 with all the incentives for exactly the same CX-5 in February.

I'm not gonna claim to have gotten a great deal on our car; I'm pretty sure I didn't. But for the first time in my car-buying life I just decided I didn't need to get the best deal possible. In younger years on tighter budgets I really needed to get that best deal possible, so I studied the "rules of the game," and played it reasonably well. But now in retirement my financial situation is actually better than it's ever been. A good pension, Social Security, IRA's, etc. plus having lived long enough to pay off the house and other debts has given me lots of room in the budget. We dealt with a younger salesman and we decided it was our turn to provide a bit of a surge in his commission. Call me crazy or stupid, but it actually felt just fine to help him out.

I'm not gonna claim to have gotten a great deal on our car; I'm pretty sure I didn't. But for the first time in my car-buying life I just decided I didn't need to get the best deal possible. In younger years on tighter budgets I really needed to get that best deal possible, so I studied the "rules of the game," and played it reasonably well. But now in retirement my financial situation is actually better than it's ever been. A good pension, Social Security, IRA's, etc. plus having lived long enough to pay off the house and other debts has given me lots of room in the budget. We dealt with a younger salesman and we decided it was our turn to provide a bit of a surge in his commission. Call me crazy or stupid, but it actually felt just fine to help him out.

Good post.
Not beating up a salesperson does make one feel better about the purchase process. Treating others the way you would like to be treated is a good thing.

Nicely said! While we're trying to get the best deal we can get for a new car we want, but it'd be nice if we can be a little bit more considerate for this tough new car sales job nowadays which has little profit margin. Our deal might not be the best, but we were happy our dealer was willing to find an exact CX-5 we want from Mazda's "port of entry", placed a single car order, and gave us the reasonable discount. On the other hand, we'd like to see other people can get better deal buying a new CX-5 with right trim level, color, and options. This board does serve this purpose!

Don't beat up the sales person...Get the sales manager!

Good post.
Not beating up a salesperson does make one feel better about the purchase process. Treating others the way you would like to be treated is a good thing.

Try that in Reno and you are scre***! It is not the sales person you go after, but the SALES MANAGER! It seems to be common practice here to have the Sales Manager close the tougher deals!

Some Vehicles you can never get a great price on here: Like a Subaru 4x4 or the Mazda CX-5 4x4! (Only 1 Mazda dealer in N. Nevada that I am aware of!) They try this "no haggle" approach, but always have something held back just in case!(smash)

I hate when they take your keys to valuate your trade in, because they basically hold you hostage, by not giving you back your keys until the deal is done. I've learned to use that to my advantage, that if they haven't given me back my keys, then I know they're still open to my counter-offer. :)

If they quickly give me my keys back, then I know I've gone too low, they don't think they can come to any middle-ground.

C

Ditto. The only difference is I got an okay pension- not a good one. It was, in my opinion, the best vehicle for me. I really got a good feeling yesterday when I shut down a new Lexus NX. I looked at a NX but thought it was too confining. It was also going to cost me $14000 more than a CX-5 with the same equipment.

C

Ditto. The only difference is I got an okay pension- not a good one. It was, in my opinion, the best vehicle for me. I really got a good feeling yesterday when I shut down a new Lexus NX. I looked at a NX but thought it was too confining. It was also going to cost me $14000 more than a CX-5 with the same equipment.

I really liked the Lexus NX. Went and test drive one and was sold. Although, the $41k price tag was a different story. I was paying cash and couldn't justify dropping that much on a car. I hadn't even considered the CX-5 until I stumbled upon it on the internet. And I was even coming from a Mazda ('04 RX8). I'm really happy with my decision to go with the CX-5. I got just as much (if not more) for a whole lot less.

I really liked the Lexus NX. Went and test drive one and was sold. Although, the $41k price tag was a different story. I was paying cash and couldn't justify dropping that much on a car. I hadn't even considered the CX-5 until I stumbled upon it on the internet. And I was even coming from a Mazda ('04 RX8). I'm really happy with my decision to go with the CX-5. I got just as much (if not more) for a whole lot less.

The head room and leg room in the NX was a deal breaker. When I test drove the Lexus, I thought my legs were in a office trash container- very confining.
I bought my CX-5 at Overland Park Mazda; is that where you purchased your car?

The head room and leg room in the NX was a deal breaker. When I test drove the Lexus, I thought my legs were in a office trash container- very confining.
I bought my CX-5 at Overland Park Mazda; is that where you purchased your car?

I didn't notice being confined. Maybe you are significantly taller. I am 6' and felt alright in it. I test drove the Lexus at the dealership near the airport. I am pretty sure there are only 2 Lexus dealserships in the Metro. The one I went to and the other in OP?

No, I bought mine from Northtowne Mazda in Gladstone. Although, they had to travel to Olathe to pick up the one I wanted (white exterior and black leather interior).

Back