New CX-5 Owner - Accessory question

mistro

:
CX-5 Touring AWD
Hi all, I am a brand new CX-5 owner and I am trying to decide whether some of the Mazda accessories are worth purchasing. Anyone have an opinion on the following?

1. Moonroof air deflector
  2. Side window air deflectors
  3. Front/Rear splash guards
  4. hood deflector

I'd appreciate any insights!

I have the moonroof deflector. Had it built into the deal from day one along with a bunch of other accessories...got a sweet deal too. Moonroofs can be windy as hell without the deflector. Highly recommend front and rear mud guards, floor liners, and cargo tray (I also have a cargo cover....but I hardly use it). Personally, I think side window air deflectors are overkill and they look kinda silly.

Enjoy your new sled. Had mine 6 weeks and I love it.

Bon

Hi all, I am a brand new CX-5 owner and I am trying to decide whether some of the Mazda accessories are worth purchasing. Anyone have an opinion on the following?

1. Moonroof air deflector
  2. Side window air deflectors
  3. Front/Rear splash guards
  4. hood deflector

I'd appreciate any insights!
Rear splash guards are useful. The front splash guards pretty much serve no point. I've installed both and if I was to do it again, I wouldn't buy the front.

Cargo tray is great and makes you less concerned about throwing things in the back plus it gives more traction than just the carpet so things aren't sliding around.

Cargo liner is great if you have dogs (keeps the fur off of all the back area.)

Cargo cover is great if you park and need to keep things out of sight (I need to keep equipment and my laptop out of sight when I'm grabbing lunch, etc.) and it is built cleverly where you don't have to remove it.

Mud (splash) guards help prevent rust (imo) by helping to block water, salt, snow, etc from splashing up around the wheel wells. The front ones are smaller and don't block as much as the rear....but I figure any added protection is good.

Bon

Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it. Are there any opinions on the OEM Auto-Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink? Does it work well enough at dimming bright lights to be worth the price?

I also just bought my CX-5 less then 6 days ago. I wanted the window deflectors and had them in my previous SUV. I made the mistake of having the certified Mazda dealership install them. They compromised the sound integrity of the cabin, the window molding and damaged the factory tape on the deflectors. I went back and they still did not properly fix the issue. So if you are going to have the dealer install them ask: Do they keep any of the accessories you want in stock. ( if they say no its a safe bet they are not used to installing them ). I fixed the best I could what the dealer damaged however, I will still need to buy new ones. I hope this helps you mistro. Please learn from my mistake. I just need to find out if I install them myself will that void my Warrenty.

Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it. Are there any opinions on the OEM Auto-Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink? Does it work well enough at dimming bright lights to be worth the price?

I have it and it works as advertised for me... dimming is good (lights become darker and greenish) love the homelink for my garage, and not having the remote in my car.

but as far as diming goes, all my past cars had darker tinted rear windows, so I didnt need this feature...

the only things I would have liked that are missing in my opinion on this mirror, is a compass and the homelink buttons should have some lighting so they are visible at night.

also having the mirror dimming feature, makes me wish that the side mirrors (specially driver side) would also dim.

Last edited:
I have the Mazda official accessory dimming mirror (installed myself). Unlike speedbegone, mine has backlights for the homelink buttons AND a compass.

Works GREAT and I'd recommend it. Got mine cheap off eBay - it was for a 2013 CX-5, while mine is a 2014 model. Found out that the wiring changed slightly between the two model years, so the plug-in adapter needed a single wire to be swapped to a different position before the mirror worked, but that was easy once I found out.

I have the Mazda official accessory dimming mirror (installed myself). Unlike speedbegone, mine has backlights for the homelink buttons AND a compass.

Works GREAT and I'd recommend it. Got mine cheap off eBay - it was for a 2013 CX-5, while mine is a 2014 model. Found out that the wiring changed slightly between the two model years, so the plug-in adapter needed a single wire to be swapped to a different position before the mirror worked, but that was easy once I found out.

Yep, I noticed that for some reason, the homelink mirror that is factory installed is different than the one from mazda parts... I tought it was just the added compass, but now knowing that the homelink buttons are illuminated just makes me jealous... kind of stupid that they don't just install that one from factory.

Yep, I noticed that for some reason, the homelink mirror that is factory installed is different than the one from mazda parts... I tought it was just the added compass, but now knowing that the homelink buttons are illuminated just makes me jealous... kind of stupid that they don't just install that one from factory.
That is funny. I always thought since my home link mirror that came with the technology package, it should come with the compass. I felt a little short changed. Why Mazda won't make one mirror that has illumination and compass is beyond me.

That is funny. I always thought since my home link mirror that came with the technology package, it should come with the compass. I felt a little short changed. Why Mazda won't make one mirror that has illumination and compass is beyond me.

The homelink mirror with compass is a $295 ala carte option from the dealer (mazdausa.com). That's a lot of dough for a compass and illumated buttons!

Last edited:
The homelink mirror with compass is a $295 ala carte option from the dealer (mazdausa.com). That's a lot of dough for a compass and illumated buttons!

Yes it is... and I don't know if i would really use the compass that much to validate this price... and maybe that's the reason there is no compass in the gps... so they can sell some mirrors lol...

The illuminated buttons I would love to have... I wonder if they are just pieces that can be replaced (the buttons)... if not, I am considering glow in the dark paint or stickers... anything that makes them visible in the dark when I come home at night.

Yeah - have to admit, I never use the compass myself :) - But I only paid $108 shipped, for mine off eBay. :D

Here - you can see the backlit buttons. Really interesting that the stock factory one, DOESN'T have these. Weird:

MazdaAutoDimmingMirror.2.jpg

UPDATE: I just checked eBay, for the seller I got mine from. They are not showing anything for sale right now, but it seems from feedback list, that he did sell one a couple of weeks back, so he may get more. Seller was lilbit09012002 item list at: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

In case any of you get a 2013 mirror (but have a 2014+ car), this is what I found to make it work: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ing-harness!&p=6186557&viewfull=1#post6186557

Last edited:
RedBaron, that's a good price. I had consider doing this before I even bought her, but now that I've driven her for a bit all I need is the auto dimming feature. I use to constantly flip my old Honda's mirror, and that got old real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back