New CX 5 Grand Touring Owner with a wheel/tire ???/slightly rough choppy ride

Ooh-too much information moontom! Never lead with a negative (ride quality), particularly one that is as subjective as this! Just my opinion, but a good way to scare off potential buyers to an otherwise good buy!

Moontom, I agree that you should edit the listing to take out that you don't like the ride quality of the wheels and tires. I know there is nothing wrong with the tires but like the other poster said it will scare off potential buyers. I would also suggest that you add the spec for the wheels. You have the tire size which is a plus but a lot of people search for wheels based on the size of the rim. For reference the 19" wheels are 19"x7.0" with a 50 offset and 5X114.3 bolt pattern. Good luck selling.

wow, really great point Ride92 and paris1!

last thing I want to do is scare people away. I will revise listing today.

thank you thank you.

sure thing, I will take a few tomorrow. (it's dark now).

I am not a modify-the-car person and got sorta lost in the sea of aftermarket wheels but when they came in, the guys at the tire shop (where they were mounted/installed etc) were like "wow, those are pretty close to the factory 19s". I was like "dumb luck I guess"

getPart

getPart

not sure if this method for importing photos will work.....

sorry about the orientation on those photos.

here's my unscientific take on the OEM Toyos vs Goodyear Comforttred Touring: The Toyos felt good but very "active" on the road -- returning not just the initial bump from pothole/road seam but also some additional chatter or reverberation. The goodyears feel more "planted" on the road. there's less bobblehead effect, maybe only a bit less but some. they are quieter as well, to a noticeable degree. I know I am sacrificing some handling control w/ 17s vs 19s, but the ride is just a touch smoother and that matters to my wife. so I'm happy.

Unfortunately these cars and all Mazda's are designed with taunt suspensions, hence the zoom zoom factor. No matter what tires you put on this car you will feel every bump. Suspension mods are your only option.

No matter what tires you put on this car you will feel every bump. Suspension mods are your only option.

Do you consider switching from 19" to 17" wheels a "suspension mod"?

If not, what suspension mods do you recommend for a softer ride?

Do you consider switching from 19" to 17" wheels a "suspension mod"?

If not, what suspension mods do you recommend for a softer ride?

Have no clue, figured you were the resident expert here.

Some people comment that different tires communicate more and less "harshness" to the driver. Of course, smaller wheels with higher profile tires will ride a little softer, and tires that are better at isolating noise and vibration will help a little, too. But overall, you're never going to get a plush ride with a CX-5 without modifying springs and shocks. It's not something I'd consider, personally, as I think it would likely introduce other compromises for which the CX-5 wasn't designed. If my issues couldn't be resolved to changing over to 17 inch wheels with tires that give a quieter, less choppy ride, I'd consider a different vehicle.

hi there....
I'm new here, just took delivery of a 2016 GT (dark blue/parchment) and here's my ??:

My wife has rods in her spine and is sensitive to rough/bouncy handling. when I drove home from dealer, I didn't notice the rough ride, but she did! this is primarily my daily driver but also our "date" car, so I want to make her happy if I can.

1. I gather it's possible to do a -minus 1 inch in wheel size -- will that result in any appreciable "smoothing out" of the ride? (is it worth the cost/trouble?)
2. is it a problem to swap wheel sizes in these new cars w/ the sensors and stability control systems, etc?
3. should I just look at more of a "touring" tire? they came with Toyo A23, which I understand are good basic OEM tires.
4. one reason she was uncomfortable at first: the dealer had the tires over-inflated. Mazda says 36 but it seems like 34 smoothed the pothole-bobblehead reaction a bit. is this dangerous, running 2 lbs under the recommended pressure?

thanks in advance for any/all insight! I really love the car otherwise....
TM

Try checking your tire pressures from dealer, they're usually higher than 36.0 PSI recommended at roughly 44.5 PSI, releasing some air does help smooth out the ride noticably, hopefully better MPG, and remember to reset the TPSM.

Latest posts

Back