New car - Smart

kk52736

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege 5
here is two model of new car coming in 2006 named Smart, and Benz will selling them.

cabrio.jpg

smart.jpg

Wait for the Roadster that's coming in 2006...about as fast as a P5, but supposed to be a great handling car. $19k and it gets 60+mpg from a turbocharged 1.3 liter 3 cylinder.

Contrary to what many may think about this car - it's more durable than it would seem to suggest.

The car has been available in Europe now for about 5-6 years, if not longer, and it has an exemplary safety record (people walking away from crashes, many of them of the more serious type). Given that I'm in Europe at least once a year, I've had the pleasure of having driven the car. I can see it appealing to younger drivers, those that want a 'fun' car to drive, wastes minimal gas, and has some pep for city-slaloms (i.e. driving in an urban setting).

Overall, cute car, if you're a single 17-year old girl. :D

dr_"I'll stick to my gas guzzlers"_sarcasm.

I was in Paris last month, and Smart Cars were everywhere. 2 to a parking space in the city. they did seem awfully small, but also very practical if you lived in the city. I saw one roadster, it looked pretty cool and like it would be a lot of fun to drive, if a little scary around all the Hummers here

Yeah, even my P5 makes me nervous with all the people flying around in Excursions and the like. Doesn't matter how big the car is...if you're hit by an SUV at speed you're gonna get hurt. Physics doesn't lie.

You'd probably never be visible to someone in a Hummer -- that thing has such terrible sightlines! -- if you were in a Roadster.

yeah, I lived in Lyon for awhile and they are everywhere. I really don't like them, but there is an added bonus... The last night before I came home I got drunk off my ass and picked one up with my roommate. We carried it down the street (although slowly) and left it below the steps to our friend's apartment (it was his car).
maybe in Canada (haven't been there recently), but I can't imagine a market for these in the US; as they are sooooo small and the SUVs being on steroids like they are.

P.S. they have gotten really out there as far as modding them from what I saw at the Geneva auto show.

Back