new car - mazda 3 skyactive or mzr?

Cloudland

Contributor
:
Mazda 323 SP20
Hi all

I've been looking for a new car. Locally we have two compact options under the M badge:

Mazda 3 skyactive 2.0L 6sp auto at NZD33k (cloth trim and 16 inch alloy)
Mazda 3 MZR 2.0L 5sp auto, a "special version" with leather trim and 17 inch wheels at NZD32k

The MZR can be quite thirsty from my understanding, but otherwise a nice drive and spec are a little higher.

I might test drive the skyactive this weekend if I can find time, if anyone has drove both your comment would be highly appreciated.

P.s. the only thing I don't like about Mazda 3 is the steering wheel. I like the new design in cx-5/new 6 and new 3 much better. But locally the CX-5 2.0 petrol starts at $41.5k which is a big jump from Mazda 3, and the 2.0 seems quite inadequate during a short test drive last week. The 2.5 petrol is $45k and diesel $47k. And that opens a whole lot of choices at that price bracket since some other manufacturers have much sharper pricing in here. i.e. Golf VII 90kw TSI is only 2k above Mazda 3 skyactive, or Mitsubishi Outlander sport (compact SUV known as ASX here) is $500 cheaper.

About 2014 Mazda 3, the design hasn't really grown in me yet, and I have no doubt it's going to be priced close to $39k here with similar spec as 2013 Mazda 3 skyactive (RRP is still $38k driveaway here).

Last edited:
I would jump for the MZ3 non skyactive. Reason being the skyactive achieves its mileage do too the tranmission lightness and few other lightweight parts. Now you wanting manual whats the point. Save the cost on the SkyActive upgrade get the 2.0 it's not thirsty by any means you'll avg mid to high 30's MILES PER GAL. The 2.5 gas on the other hand is much less and will avg 24-28 still good but not for a 4 banger. The skyactive you'll get around the same as the 2.0 believe it or not.

Back