New Canadian 2008 CX-9 owner from Montreal

CX-9_GT

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT
Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself as a new to me CX-9 owner.
We previously had a 2007 Ford Edge AWD and were happy with it until the diff seals began to leak as well as the transfer case...the repairs were obviously covered on warranty but this left us feeling uneasy as the warranty was about to expire in May 2012. With a growing family we wanted a larger vehicle anyway.

Interesting story, we had actually made up our minds on a 2008 Buick Enclave until we had one at our disposal for a couple of days.
In short, the Buick was horrible for us. The seats were possibly the most uncomfortable I had ever sat in. I am very tall so the seats alone were a deal breaker for me.
Back to the drawing board...what to buy?

After much research, we discovered the CX-9 and to my surprise it was the best vehicle for us. Likely the best vehicle in its class in our opinion.
We purchased a fully loaded 2008 CX-9 GT, pearl white with nav and rear DVD system for the kids.
The vehicle has 52,300KMs (just under 32,500 miles) on it. It is a certified vehicle and drives real nice, we couldn't be happier.

I frequented this forum as part of my research and decision making process prior to actually test driving the vehicle, thank you everyone for the valuable information.
Comfort and seating position is crucial for me, the CX-9 was the most roomy for XXL drivers (I am 6'6" 275lbs).

I just ordered the Scangauge II so that I can have all that info which we had become accustomed to having in our previous vehicle.

The one issue I have thus far (I see that I am not alone) is with the nav system. I checked out the DVD version which is dated 2007 v.1 which means it likely has maps from 2005 or 2006 at best.
Unfortunately, I cannot order the updated maps because mazdanav does not sell to Canadians (???). We live in an area that has been developed a lot since 2006 and half the time the nav shows that we are driving off road LOL

Do any of the Canadian CX-9 owners here know where the updates can be purchased and at what price?
I find it crazy that they want 200$ for a disc when you can buy a Tomtom or Garmin unit for less $ and have free updates for life.
I can only imagine that the Mazda dealers likely want over 300$ for them here, although I have not checked with a dealer yet.
Information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have,

Anthony

Welcome.
NAVI disc update: mazdanavigation.com
Well, but if you wish to, you can find alternative source around this forum.

CX9 also have differential seal and transfer case issues.
Based on ConsumersReport rating, CX9 is more reliable than a Ford Edge by a mile.

I mount my ScanGaugeII behind the steering wheel and in front of the odometer. Just for your information,
Best place I found to install it. For me, it obscures the odometer a bit. For your (@6'6), you should have no problem
with it there.

Have fun and enjoy your CX9.

I don't have a nav unit in my '08. I simply use Google Nav on my phone. It's free, works great, and is updated real-time without doing anything to it.

The new trend in auto-electronics is that you can plug your smart phone into a dock, and the
multi-func screen acts as your smart phone display (in a modified format due to aspect ratio).
Touch screen works too. Ain't that great?

Welcome.
NAVI disc update: mazdanavigation.com
Well, but if you wish to, you can find alternative source around this forum.

Hi and thank you!
As stated on the mazdanavigation side they won't ship nor sell to Canadians. They suggest contacting Mazda Canada or a dealer which I have not had a chance to do yet...but I suspect they will want 300$ for it if it is sold to the US market at 200$.
An alternative source would be wonderful.

CX9 also have differential seal and transfer case issues.
Based on ConsumersReport rating, CX9 is more reliable than a Ford Edge by a mile.

I noticed a thread here on the subject...I hope I don't become a candidate/contributor to it ;)

I mount my ScanGaugeII behind the steering wheel and in front of the odometer. Just for your information,
Best place I found to install it. For me, it obscures the odometer a bit. For your (@6'6), you should have no problem
with it there.

I'll keep that in mind when I receive it next week.

Have fun and enjoy your CX9.

Thanks, so far it's great...I look for every opportunity to take it for a spin. My wife has only driven it once so far, but we've only had it for a week.

Heh! I suppose it may have to do with taxes, paperwork and brokerage fees but mostly to do with Mazda Canada wanting to gouge Canadians...my best guess.
I actually lived in Charlotte NC for a few years...I do miss the climate!

There isn't much in the way of snow anymore. Climate change.
This year's ski season was delayed by a full month, I'm guessing the end of the season will be shortened substantially as well.

Back