New (and Lightweight) Wheels! OZ Ultraleggera 15" -- WITH PICS

jersey_emt

:
04 MSM #1089
The Mazdaspeed Miata comes with 17" wheels from the factory, and when I damaged three of them in a NJ construction zone, I replaced them with aftermarket 17" wheels -- the ASA AR1. In black with a polished lip.

Since then, I've damaged several of these wheels, one at a time, because the roads around here are simply too bad for the 215/40/17 tires.

Two weeks ago I hit yet another pothole and damaged yet another rim. (I hit this one while attempting to avoid another, even bigger, pothole).

At that point, I was simply tired of all the bulls*** and expense of having 17" rims with very low-profile tires in this area of the country with its crappy roads. The fact that both the factory and the ASA 17" rims are quite heavy also made me unhappy.

I just purchased a set of lightweight 15" wheels through Flyin' Miata / Tire Rack. OZ Ultraleggera in 'Matte Graphite Silver'.

The 15" wheel is rather stylish, low-cost, looks bigger than it actually is due to the spokes going out to the edge, and weighs only 12 lbs! Flyin' Miata had a package with Kumho Ecsta SPT tires. However, Kumho discontinued the Ecsta SPT in the size I wanted (205/50/15), so after talking with both Flyin' Miata and Tire Rack, I went with the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 in 205/50/15.

Here are the wheels I picked up (OZ Ultraleggera in Matte Graphite Silver):

oz_ultraleggera_ltg_ci3_l.jpg

And the tires (Dunlop Direzza DZ101, click the photo for TireRack's info page):

The package was shipped today (07/11/2007) from Newark, Delaware and should be arriving tomorrow or Friday (07/12/2007 or 07/13/2007). I'll post up pics as soon as the package arrives and I get them on my 2004 Titanium Grey MSM!

I can't wait! I know that I am trading some 'good looks' by going with 15" wheels, but the improved handling, acceleration, and braking, as well as the durability of having a smaller wheel in a pothole and bad-road-infested area will be well worth it!!

Nice choice for 15's justin.. We have the same wheel size now (peep)

You have a turbo NB though lol.

tell them to hurry it up, inquiring eyes need to see pics

They arrived about 45 mins ago and I just finished applying a coat of Zaino to them (to help protect from brake dust getting caked into the finish).

They look NICE. They are SO much lighter than what I had...it's a huge difference.

I'm fixing some dinner now while I let the Zaino dry. After that I am going to wipe off the Zaino and put them on the car. Pics of a really dirty Miata with really clean wheels will be posted later this evening :)

I wanted to weigh these guys before I install them:

Weight of one 17" ASA AR1 wheel with 215/40/17 tire: 40.2 lbs
Weight of one 15" O-Z Ultraleggera wheel with 205/50/15 tire: 30.8 lbs

That's almost a ten-pound difference in unsprung weight per corner!!

Yuno, I ran my miata with one seat half the time. Make's a HUGE difference. You wouldn't think it but it totally did. I never understood the whole weight thing until that.

Kinda funny. I didn't think it'd make much of a difference.

Plus, it gave me more cargo space, hahahah.

Pics!!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0969.JPG
    DSC_0969.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 3,118
  • DSC_0970.JPG
    DSC_0970.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,203
  • DSC_0972.JPG
    DSC_0972.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • DSC_0973.JPG
    DSC_0973.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,285
So....obviously I went out for a ride right after I put the wheels on.

Initial thoughts:

1. Ride quality is significantly improved.
  2. Acceleration and braking is quite noticeably improved.
  3. Handling seems a bit more responsive overall, but a slight decrease in initial turn-in or "bite" (expected because of the larger sidewall).

The car feels quicker and more nimble than it already did (hey, it was still a Miata despite the heavy wheels). So I am happy. Very happy.

Lookin good man! As previously stated you need a drop badly but I like those rims a lot on your car.

Back