New AA \ ACP Thread (with Poll)

How do you feel about AA ? ACP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my kit delivered yesterday and paid $169 for it shipped off ebay from a authorized Mazda dealer.

Did a search on yelp.com and found a independent 5 star rated car audio shop to have a pro install done for $75. In and out of the shop in a hour. Everything went smooth. Already had the 70.00.100.NA firmware installed earlier this week from a local Mazda dealership for free.

My dealer just quoted $450 for whole install. Wouldnt do it for free even though I bought 2 months ago and was marketed as a feature. I asked how much labor only would be and they quoted $150. So if I bought parts online, total would be about $315. Not too terrible. Id imagine it takes a couple hours, so at $75/hr I may save myself the hassle of screwing it up.

Not too sure about the American counterparts, but I was told that performing the installation outside of Mazda (including DIY) even with the genuine Mazda part voids warranty on AA/CP.

that is defnitely a good way to approach it!
good luck and keep us posted man.
My dealer also quoted $450 as a holiday special ;P

My dealer just quoted $450 for whole install. Wouldn*t do it for free even though I bought 2 months ago and was marketed as a feature. I asked how much labor only would be and they quoted $150. So if I bought parts online, total would be about $315. Not too terrible. I*d imagine it takes a couple hours, so at $75/hr I may save myself the hassle of screwing it up.

Not too sure about the American counterparts, but I was told that performing the installation outside of Mazda (including DIY) even with the genuine Mazda part voids warranty on AA/CP.

What sort of warranty is included for those who pay a dealership to install it? What I mean is, if you have a car where the bumper to bumper warranty is already expired what kind of warranty is Mazda adding for AA/ACP?

I paid $169 for parts and did the self install. From what I'm hearing on the forum, dealerships are quoting $400-$450 for parts+labor. That's $280 more than doing it yourself.

Another way of thinking of it is, is it worth $280 for labor + warranty to install a $169 part? I don't think so.

I dont get all the warranty fear mongering. If you break a panel installing yourself sure they wont cover that. But if something else on your car breaks later thats not going to be voided.

Dealer fear mongering in my opinion. The dealer can't void your warranty if you self install any mazda accessory or do an oil change or other maintenance. Most legal statutes put the onus on the manufacturer to prove you broke something. I would be surprised if Canada was more restrictive then the USA.

What sort of warranty is included for those who pay a dealership to install it? What I mean is, if you have a car where the bumper to bumper warranty is already expired what kind of warranty is Mazda adding for AA/ACP?

I paid $169 for parts and did the self install. From what I'm hearing on the forum, dealerships are quoting $400-$450 for parts+labor. That's $280 more than doing it yourself.

Another way of thinking of it is, is it worth $280 for labor + warranty to install a $169 part? I don't think so.

All the warranty is Mazda saying: Yeah we will do the required firmware update because if another person tries to do it and messes up they can brick the info-tainment system. I went the route of getting it installed by a 3rd party car audio expert shop with a 5 star rating on yelp. Because I was not comfortable with taking car snap on parts off and did not have the right tools to do it myself. But heck $75 for install is a lot better than Mazda dealer rip off labor install prices per hour. Had it done in less than a hour at the shop I went to. No issues since last Friday.

Last edited:
We are scheduled to get ours done at the dealer. They quoted $399 which seems to be on the lighter side based on what Ive been reading.

We are scheduled to get ours done at the dealer. They quoted $399 which seems to be on the lighter side based on what I*ve been reading.

Actually, I think that will be the standard price from what i see on other forums.

parts are $199 retail - there is no incentive to discount, and many dealers don't discount unless you have a mazda coupon. $199 labor is not out of line. The firmware can take 30 minutes, and someone has to watch it to make sure there is no timeout - the brake has to be tapped to keep the car awake. The foam insulation has to manually be placed on the cables - about 6" strips touching over almost 6' - x 2 cables. Then the tear down, fish wires, re-install - and without damaging any of the trim.

If a tech can't work on anything else during this, then 2 hours billable time is fair. Yes it can be done faster but most steps are linear, so 30 minutes for software and not much can be disassembled until that is done. After that, the rest will take more then 30 minutes, so you are into a second hour.

I saw some over $400 and lowest was $350 that I saw. I agree its probably taking about 2 hours. So yea its fair.

I'm scheduled to get mine done at the dealer I bought it from at the end of the month. They were waiting for parts to get back in.
I had it on my 2016 Honda Civic and really liked it. However, unless they re-enable touchscreen whilst moving as part of this retrofit, AC and AO will be of limited use.

Sadly, i'm on 59.00.540 and I believe touchscreen whilst moving cannot be enabled with the 'hack' on this software iteration.

I had a BMW rental for a while that had a similar knob setup. Once I got the hang of using CarPlay that way it wasnt so bad. Yes I still prefer touchscreen but I think youre still going to like it.

I'm scheduled to get mine done at the dealer I bought it from at the end of the month. They were waiting for parts to get back in.
I had it on my 2016 Honda Civic and really liked it. However, unless they re-enable touchscreen whilst moving as part of this retrofit, AC and AO will be of limited use.

Sadly, i'm on 59.00.540 and I believe touchscreen whilst moving cannot be enabled with the 'hack' on this software iteration.

You can get it done, just requires an initial serial connection to the CMU before a USB flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back