New 2003.5 Laser Blue - Everyone should have one of these!

andersun16

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Just picked up my 2003.5 MSP in Laser Blue and I love it! i went in for a 5 and figured I'd drive the Mazdaspeed while I was there. 5 minutes into the test drive I knew the 5 would be staying on the lot! This thing rips. I've been reading a few of the posts and was happy to see that I can stop searching for that clunk in my trunk! I do have a few obligatory questions.

* Do I need to flash this car? (I notice no hesitation)
* Do they all smell like antifreeze after you drive them?
* Is it me or does it seem like the car is geared a little short?
* Has anybody had the rear sway bar bushing (clunker) replaced and did it stop it?
* Finally, will bumping up the boost lower the fuel mileage (I do 120miles/day)

Thanks in advance. I can't believe anybody would buy any other car in this price range! F Honda!

you do not need to flash your car unless you want to trade power for comfort (you cannot raise the boost as high but the ride is supposedly smoother)

the sway bar bushing will clunk after awhile regardless of getting a new one, the dealer should replace it under warranty

Congrats...I'm a fellow Laser Blue 2003.5 MSP owner too.

I flashed my car...I didn't notice a really bad hesitation in my car...it just wasnt as smooth through 3000-4000 RPM. But now its alot smoother. I think there were people running higher boost on flashed MSP.

Never noticed the anitfreeze smell in my car. Maybe you should get that checked out!

Yes the gears are short...faster acceleration

REad the sticky in the MSP section...the clunk has finally been acknowleged by Mazda and I think they have a solution.

I have know clue about how boost will affect gas milage...I'm interested in that one too. I bought my MSP as a daily driver so milage is a big concern for me...but I also want to be kinda fast. I have that same question about a turbo back exhaust.

Last edited:
Your car has probably already been flashed. Last memo i saw from mazda instructed them to flash all remaining inventory. that may or may not have changed. and the antifreeze smell is more than likely a coolant leak. check under the hood and see if you see any chalky lookin stains on hoses and such. i had to take mine in 3x to get the leak fixed. all it needed was new hose clamps. make sure they use worm clamps on the top and bottom end of the hoses and you should only have to bring it in once for that.

Spicymofo

Hey there! Welcome. I also have a Laser Blue 03.5. I noticed a smell for the first couple hundred miles or so, but it went away. It could just stuff burning off in the engine. It smelled like when I put on my new exhaust on the rx-7, and the stuff had to burn off and then it went away.

About the flash: I didn't really feel a hesistation, but I got it flashed anyway and it feels much better. The flash advances the timing, so you can't run as high boost. The other thing about it is you can't "unflash" your car, so make sure it's something you really wanna do if it isn't already flashed. I compete in DS in autocross, so I'm not allowed to touch the boost. This made the decision easy for me heh. Good luck, and if you have a question there's a ton of information available with the search button, but don't be afraid to post.

~brian

Hey another laser blue MSP in PA!! Where is Nazareth anyway? I think all the cars you buy now are already flashed, I haven't felt any hesitation so never bothered with flashing. Good luck and see you around.

P.S. check out the thread on the meet in southeastern PA this Saturday, could be a great way to answer all your questions.

check for the flash sticker under your hood somewhere.

Smell is normal for the car for the first 1000 kms. Might even come back from time to time. Check under the hood though and see if you can see any green residue on the black pipes near the front of the engine bay Don't be alarmed if there is, it might just be some overflow from the guys not being careful putting it in at the docks. Mine was like this.

Clunk....see Clunk Sticky, there is a TSB, and new bushings released for the MP3 and MSP. BN7H-156E ( can't remember the exact part number right now...tired ) 156E is the important part though. Get these replaced ASAP before the bad ones wear down your bar.

Flash smoothened out my rpm's a bit, bit more power....I'd get it.

My rig clunks like a mother. The roads are really bumpy around here because of winter and its clunk, clunk, clunk everywhere I go.

I don't have time to have it fixed until I have a few days around X-mas, so if it wears down my bar, they'll be putting a new one in.

Latest posts

Back