NEMOC Random BS Thread

Well, for those not on Facebook.... Here's my new fun car. 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring model. Fully loaded with heated leather seats, old school DVD based Navigation (lol), HID headlights, VLSD, Traction Control, 6-speed manual, etc. As much as I enjoyed the RX-7, it just was not the car for me. This is my Grand Touring style car. Plenty of fun to drive and comfortable enough on semi long distances. Yea... I'm getting old. My first time since I joined here with the P5 I've been without a Mazda at home. The 287HP/274TQ is not too shabby either. :)

The car is almost all stock and has always been. Simple recent mods from the previous owner include a double din Kenwood receiver with almost all the options (Bluetooth, Pandora, etc.), Tinted windows, a very comfortable aluminum blue shift knob, and NISMO floor mats. That's it! Just turned 112K miles, rides great, no issues at all.

17ua1d.jpg

2ymj5me.jpg

wgqcrc.jpg

Looks like Robin has a brain freeze!!

Nice Chris, autox Sunday and a track night next Friday. Ordered HP plus pads and waiting on new rotors.

How do you remedy this Chris [emoji15]

Knowing nothing about the setup he's running, the options are typically: better fluid (or more frequent bleeding), more direct cooling (brake ducts or scoops), and a larger thermal mass (bigger rotors).

I bled the brakes beforehand and used DOT4. I think I should get new rotors, these are the originals and the vents are probably clogged with rust. Might go with slotted. I should also work on the venting. Mazda added ducts to the lower valance for 84/85 which are supposed to blast cool air into the back side of the rotors, but I think my wider wheels/tires block them from being effective.

Another option is to upgrade to GSL-SE spec which came with larger brakes....but that involves switching out the rear axle, and front hubs and everything. Better off going with some sort of big brake kit....or maybe just taking it easy on the brakes.

I've got great video of me bumper to bumper with what I assume was a 1.6L Miata. We were dead even through the turns, he had better midrange and could pull away on corner exit but I had a little more power up top and would reel him in midway down the straight. Once he let me by I pulled away though.

So jealous of your track days. Wish I lived closer to one.

On another note I left my job working at the stealership and am now a service tech for Subaru. Simple stuff really like oil changes, tire rotations, etc. The cool part of this gig is that on Saturday the main shop is closed and I have free access to all the equipment. Last week I put the car up on the lift and replaced my rear rotors and pads. Today my co-worker helped me mount and balance two tires that needed replacing on the rear. Total cost for all that, $150. Bought the brake parts with 20% discount from the store, and 2 used Goodyear RS-A tires at 10/32nds for just $50. Score! :) Oh, and I can leave my car in the garage for the day while working.

js0fvs.jpg

So jealous of your track days. Wish I lived closer to one.

On another note I left my job working at the stealership and am now a service tech for Subaru. Simple stuff really like oil changes, tire rotations, etc. The cool part of this gig is that on Saturday the main shop is closed and I have free access to all the equipment. Last week I put the car up on the lift and replaced my rear rotors and pads. Today my co-worker helped me mount and balance two tires that needed replacing on the rear. Total cost for all that, $150. Bought the brake parts with 20% discount from the store, and 2 used Goodyear RS-A tires at 10/32nds for just $50. Score! :) Oh, and I can leave my car in the garage for the day while working.

js0fvs.jpg
Nice Josh, didn't your former employer run into some "trouble"?
So let's go to Thompson in CT some day!

Sounds like a great new gig Josh. Car is looking great. I saw one at track night, same color, not nearly as clean.

I'm getting savvy with my videos. If you like living vicariously, or just want to see the abuse I've been dishing out to these tires give it a watch...or at least skip to the last 5 minutes where I chased down a Miata and pushed him to the limit. He almost lost it a few times right in front of me. Very soft suspension.

https://youtu.be/iuQlvQWBMy8

Nice Josh.

Chris, what software are you using to do the video? Special cameras?

Have new street/track pads coming. Changing the rotors with new blanks, rotors are the originals. Have a track night Friday.

I used Harry's Lap Timer app for the iPhone. I think there is an Android version too. It took some fiddling to load the go-pro video onto the phone but after that, the app did the rest. They have add-ons like connecting to your OBDII (which I don't have) or using external sensors and additional cameras. And it uses your phone's camera if you have it on your dash.

Nice, took a look at the app. There is an android one and Calabogie is one of the listed tracks. I think I will try the Petrol Head ver, which one are you using?

Back