Need some serious help with my mazda speed :(

cl0zed

:
2003 Mazda Protege Speed
Hello,

So I was doing my timing belt and borrowed a friends torque wrench which apparently didn't work since I heard no Clicks and the end result is I tore a bolt off in the waterpump when I was tightening it :(

Any recommendations? I am ready to scrap this car I'm so pissed. Will I have to lift the engine out of the car to re-thread a new bolt? I took a few pics of the size of the bolt and where it broke off.

I need help!

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

Last edited:
That is really REALLY unfortunate.

To get it out you might have to drill out the center with a very thin (New) drill bit and then once all the way through the bolt, drill a little bigger until you get to a 1/4"

Then use "EXTRACTABIT"

This s*** IS WORTH IT'S Weight.

Before you try to Extract, put the tube from WD-40 in the hold and blast the back of the threads. Let it sit and it should come out slick.

PS. Don't Worry, it's not as bad as I have seen.

Whatever you do. DO NOT BREAK A DRILL IN THE BOLT. It is made of hardened steel and you will never drill a drill out.

Thanks I will give it a shot, i'm not sure if I can fit a drill in the spot...

You might be able to if you support the engine and remove the entire passenger mount.

It's unlikely that he has access to a welder if he had to borrow a broken torque wrench...

Back