Need some RX-8 advice :D

Hey guys n gals .. im new to the rx 8 community but here is my situation...
i purchased a 2005 rx-8 from the mazda dealer about 3 weeks ago and its been downhill from there. the first 3 days after the purchase i had to replace rotars and brakes then the second week the engine light pops on and they told me i had to replace the air flow pump... ok get the car back an the next day i drive to the beach for vacation no engine light comes on but the car would not get over 20 mph. I tow it to mazda up there an they told me nothing was wrong with it... ok i drive back home and take it to my mazda who tells me i need a whole new engine... ok soo they just replaced it with a brand new designed rotary which was 6k :( ok ok soo it does not stop there ... today im drivin my rx 8 with the new engine and BAM the engine light comes on again .. mk so i take it to advance and they ran a test and said now the secondary air injection circuit low ... not sure what that is.. anyways all these problems and its not been 30 days kinda sucks .. oo and th car had 70k on it when i bought the thing lol ... should i ask them to paint it yellow and tell them I might as well look liek a lemon >.< .. i guess there is no lemon law if there is no warranty ? anything i should ask them to check out before i take it in tommorrow ? thanks guys (stooges)

I hope you didn't pay for that new engine. There is an extended watentee for 8 yrears and 100k miles if you are in the states.

You need to learn a lot about your new car in a hurry or you are going to continue to gey royally ******. There is a copy of the exctended warentee in the FAQ thread at the top of the RX8 forum. Read the thread, print out the warentee and go have a talk with the dealership. Give them a vhanve to change their tune.

They are selling you a line of BS a mile wide with this whole situation. The engile they put in your car has 0 design chanhes. Infact it is a remanufactured (rebuilt) engine. Get educated and stick to your guns, cuz right now they think they can take you for a ride.

At a minimum the dealership should have covered the engine swap under warentee. As to the CEL, its common to have a few "phantom" CEL's after an engine is swapped. Let the dealer clear the code so they have a record of it and see if it comes back.

Ask questions if you have them, but read and get smart on this car. Its a great car. Hope this works out.

If the delaership keeps jerking you around don't be afraid to call Mazda North America. Stary writing down datesn times and the names of who you are taking to as it might help to have some record of your experince in the near future. You might want to record what has already transpired when you get a chance.

Good luck, keep this thread updated and we can help with advice.

Welcome.

Last edited:
So how much have you had to pay towards repairs? The engine has a 8yr-100K warranty so that was covered......right?

yea thanks guys ... mazda did pay for the engine but i had to pay 600 bucks for new coils coilpack and plugs... i will read the faq uptop also and print that out .. other than the minor things im loving the 8 :D

600 is way too enxpensive for coils and plugs (coil pack?). $80 for plugs and 120-150 for 4 coils. Good to hear that they covered the engine. they are still giving you a lot of bad information.

the secondary air injection circuit i think is the valve that directs air into the exhaust to help the car meet emissions and help the cat burn off the nitric oxide. that part has NO effect on the performance of the car, just emissions.

At this rate sounds like you got a car that was just driven around town the whole time and never driven hard enough to get the engine hot enough. Believe it or not, the rotaries love being driven hard. The only real way to make sure carbon deposits are kept to a minimum and thus saving it from most of the problems you are encountering.

I recommend searching through here and rx8club for stuff like plugs/ coils, 9 out of 10 you will find OEM parts for a fraction of the cost.

600 is way too enxpensive for coils and plugs (coil pack?). $80 for plugs and 120-150 for 4 coils. Good to hear that they covered the engine. they are still giving you a lot of bad information.

The $600 is about typical if you have the dealer do the work. Your price is for a DIY.

Welcome Al. Yeah, the price I quoted was just to get the parts. the work is easy.

wow sounds like a lemon! sucks :(

How often do coils wear out? I've had mine for... well since 1993 and they still work great.

The coils should be replaced every 30K. This is a know weakness. There is at least one company out there that makes an after market solution that uses stronger coils and should last longer. That route is a bit more expensive though.

not really the Black halo Racing coils I believe are 500 or so. they are plug n play. one of the best mods I have done!!

Back