need some advice

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport 5mt
I have a sneaking suspicion that the engine on my P5 is on its last legs. I just got it back about two weeks ago from a $1,500 repair bill that included suspension work, wheel bearing/hub, tune up, water pump, and timing belt.

Now I just heard a ticking noise from 2500RPM and up that was not there last week, checked the oil and its below the L line. No puddles are on the ground, so its burning oil, i have been adding oil regularly for about 6 months now(somewhere around a quart/1500-1700mi). I have a feeling that it was low when i brought it in and they never checked it (never told them too either). Then I completely forgot to check it right when I got it back. Lesson learned...

So now I'm in a position where I have to either fix the engine (rebuilt right?). Plus replace the clutch, flywheel (been slipping for awhile now) and rebuild the transmission for grinding 2nd & 3rd gears. The car itself is 2002 has 186000 miles and pretty bad rusting on the doors and rear wheel arches. Clear coat on the front is shot too.

Id rather fix unless it (financially) makes more sense to get rid of it. Cause it does have leather and a sunroof. And quite frankly it's still a blast to drive.

Does anyone have a ball park for rebuilt engine/trans/clutch?
Or would that money be better used for down payment for say a <$10,000 "new to me" car? If that is the case what kind of trade in will they give for a car in this shape?

Thanks in advanced.

sounds like it could be the typical spun bearing.. these cars are known for that, you will see this problem all over the forum. i'm not going to say thats what it is, have it maybe diagnosed first.. all in all if it is the bearing or whatever it may be KEEP THE CAR. you can fund a block(bottom and top end) for 500-900$.

Yeah, it sounds like you've got some issues. I would get a used engine and transmission rather than try to get the transmission and engine rebuilt. Maybe have the clutch replaced in the new (used) transmission before it's installed. Despite the wallop it will cost you, do it all at once and save on labor. Sorry to hear you've got all those issues!

no to reply jack ^^^^ but more than likey your tranny will be ok.. i know riebes and other auto parts stores will resurface your flywheel for 30-50 bucks. and a clutch is how much ever you want to spend. i got the spec stage 2, ppl like to hate on it but ive never had a prob with it. its been boosted for some time and have had zero probs, glad we can help out(mj)

Back