Need recommendation: "MSP like" 16" wheels

Dimitrios

Contributor
:
2012 CWP MS3
I love the 17" Racing Harts to edeth, but they gotta go (yet another attempt to sell them coming up).

I've been spoiled again with the stockers and winter tires on, but it's getting warmer and they have to come off soon. I'd like something lighter so I'm not back to poor mileage and taking forever and a day to accelerate (along the lines of the stockers, slightly lighter maybe) and 16".

Some constraints:

- 7" wide (for a 205 tire)
- 5 spoke - I honestly despise most multi-spoke wheels
- Single piece is OK; don't have a need for 2 or 3 piece wheels
- Forged vs. cast? Eh, same; I don't AutoX nor otherwise race, but appreciate durability on the street.
- Needs to be all one colour (not black with a lip) - I like the MSP wheels once again (Gunmetal, brushed, polished, but not chrome, etc).
- Should look "stock" (part of the reason I like the MSP wheels is their look....partly because they are....sorta [Protege5 here]). I like subtlety over standing out.
-EDIT: One more: I'd rather a correct bolt pattern than universal (extra holes bother me too :) )

Recommendations would be appreciated and pics of installed (or not) would be great too.

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
Why not 2003 OEM P5 wheels...16" x 6, but you can run a 215 on them...and they "look" kinda like the MSP wheels...

Other than that...IDK???

That's quite the laundry list of "wants".

There aren't a whole lot of 16" wheels as it is. 16x7, even fewer. 16x7 and only in the 5x114 bolt pattern, even fewer. 16x7 with a 5x114 bolt pattern and "5 spoke that kinda look stock", even fewer.

My advice- if you want a wheel that looks stock, go with stock. My 17x7 Enkei RSV wheels are lighter than the MSP/MP3 Racing Hearts, so they aren't hard to accelerate.

Last edited:
Fair enough on the width comments.

I may go back to stockers (get 'em coated or something...)

I looked at the Enkeis and I liked some of them for sure; I suppose a better list of wants is: "lighter than the MSPs wheels"

Thanks Tom

- 7" wide (for a 205 tire)
- 5 spoke - I honestly despise most multi-spoke wheels
- Single piece is OK; don't have a need for 2 or 3 piece wheels
- Forged vs. cast? Eh, same; I don't AutoX nor otherwise race, but appreciate durability on the street.
- Needs to be all one colour (not black with a lip) - I like the MSP wheels once again (Gunmetal, brushed, polished, but not chrome, etc).
- Should look "stock" (part of the reason I like the MSP wheels is their look....partly because they are....sorta [Protege5 here]). I like subtlety over standing out.
-EDIT: One more: I'd rather a correct bolt pattern than universal (extra holes bother me too :) )

If you can live with an 18 lb wheel, which isn't really awful, (but hardly lightweight by Kosei K1-TS/Enkei RPF-1/SSR standards) look at the TireRack "Sport Edition F7" in 16x7. They are cheap ($91 ea.) look very close to the 2001-02 stock 16's (with the more rounded spokes), and have the identical 50mm offset. I have them and they are also very easy to clean, fill up the wheel well nicely, and best of all allow a 205/45 tire, which looks much better on these cars. Just a thought

15x7" +45's for the win... I run 225/45R15 on race rubber (Avon Tech R-A), and 205/50R15's on the street. Acceleration is fantastic, given the wheels weigh about 13 pounds each (Same as 929 15x6), and are forged. The performance tire availability in those sizes are WAY better than 16" wheels, in my experience. You can get these in a multitude of colors. I'd suggest, unless you're limited by a crazy BBK, considering 15" wheels. =) Performance-wise, it's where it's at. ;)

2397233733_cb30ab9216_b.jpg

Last edited:
the rota wheels i have a pretty light. they are 16x7, but i have a 10mm spacer in the back...

they have a polished lip however. although slipstreams come in a variety of finishes.

Thanks again for the recommendations; I've seen a few that I'm tempted at and look good.

I need to sell of the MSP wheels and get things a bit more in order otherwise.

D

While I'm on the topic of Team Dynamics Racing wheels... The Pro Race 2's might work for you:

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-race/Pro-Race-2silver.htm

Likely Rishie can hook you up with a set of 'em, if that's more your speed. They're light-ish, but they're also semi-heavy, coming in just a smidge under 15.5 pounds, according to them.

Thanks. I contacted Rishie and am waiting on some quotes.

I'm loving the Jade R, Jordan, Popstar and Fusion

http://www.rimstock.co.uk/rimstockuk/downloads.php#alloywheels

Thanks flat_black...

D

15x7" +45's for the win... I run 225/45R15 on race rubber (Avon Tech R-A), and 205/50R15's on the street. Acceleration is fantastic, given the wheels weigh about 13 pounds each (Same as 929 15x6), and are forged. The performance tire availability in those sizes are WAY better than 16" wheels, in my experience. You can get these in a multitude of colors. I'd suggest, unless you're limited by a crazy BBK, considering 15" wheels. =) Performance-wise, it's where it's at. ;)

Are those Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s?

Bingo. 1.2's. They're lighter than they advertise, based on my scale. These guys weigh in at 12.5 pounds (lighter than the 929 rims, at one inch narrower, and much higher offset.)

929 rims and 195/60R15 Nokian's for the winter work really well, by the way. =) I've got a set of four 929 rims that don't look pretty, and one is bent on the inner rim. Still holds air, just adds a little bit of vibration. Should be able to be straightened for a few bucks, but I haven't had the inkling. You can have 'em for 60 bucks plus shipping if'n you want. *shrugs* I could use the room in my garage. =)

Latest posts

Back